What have you done to your car today?

Finally got new shocks and springs on the rear. Cleaned down the arches and got a couple of layers of underseal on it whilst they were off :)

Was on lowering springs before but stock height doesn't look too bad at the rear.

Not good

Fun times

Invisible tyre but not quite as monster truck as I thought it would look.

Fixed (improved at least) the handbrake, done the rear pads, new pad sensor routed the correct way so that it wasn't completely sheared by the wheel (well done last owner) and finally changed the rtab's on the e46 today.

The bushes that came off actually looked OK but the bang under light braking at low speed that had appeared has now vanished so happy days.

Had an eBay special removal/ installation tool which made things so much better than what I had to do with the e36.

Will need an alignment now but it could have done with one anyway.

Think the only thing I actually have left to do on it is the ccv and whatever is causing my hesitation (assuming the ccv isn't causing an air leak)

Stripped and cleaned the heater valves. Turned out to be a waste of time, they weren't blocked or seized and only a very minimal amount of gunk in there. Now I have a damn air lock in the thing and no closer to figuring why the heater is a bit rubbish.

Put the golf on a dd rolling road. With ecopro settings scored 190 and afr are practically spot on

Might actually have run out of things to tweak now

Couldn't tell you an accurate temp, but going by the gauge it is perfectly normal. Never overheats regardless how much I abuse it. The heater has always been the same though, goes cold when the engine is idling, rev it up to 1250 and the heat comes back.

I figured the heater valves could be crudded up, this is a documented problem but it doesn't seem to have been the case. The matrix isn't blocked, it had a new one in the winter after the old one sprung a rather large leak.

I suppose the water pump is the only thing left, never changed that. I would think that if the pump was bad then it would overheat though.

FINALLY!

Fitted my Xenon Projectors over the weekend, and the difference is staggering. Just need to fit the self-leveling and headlamp washers for the MOT now.

Also fixed a mis-aligned wiper arm, a bit of door trim that had fallen off, the airbag light being on and the cruise control switch needed moving forward slightly.

Next, 4 new glowplugs to tackle my cold starts being a bit rough. Then done!

Took it to Dreamscience in Hull for mapping since getting my cams fitted, I didn't think my car was running that badly until I was driving it back from DS and it just felt like a new engine, it pulls so much harder and smoother through the rev range and just doesn't let up all the way to the new limiter at 7.7k.

Only downside to the day was that they were truly swamped with work to get finished so there wasn't time to get a power run in (Dyno had loads of boxes on it waiting to be unpacked while they were rebuilding a Focus ST engine at same time), however they've offered me £10 off a power run whenever I go back next time so can't really complain!

Changed oil, boring, did rest of service last week.

Had a bad knocking from the front right. Had a look around, checked all bolts, pryed on some things with a bar, could see no problems. Only thing was pulling on the middle of the strut made a bit of a noise so figured dead shock. Shot DW a message before going to get the oil enquiring about cost of replacement unit.

Had nothing on this evening though so took the strut out of the car and took it apart. Piston seemed to move smoothly and without any noises, no detectable play in it, seemed ok?? Ok, take the top mount bearing apart and inspect. Bearing is very tight and certainly no play in it.
Only thing to note is a small amount of play in the top spring cup bearing, but surely this won't make itself heard ever considering I'm not doing any jumps and even if I was, there's a little preload on the spring anyway.
Stumped, I threw it all back together and onto the car. Imagine my surprise when the horrible jack-hammer-esque noise was completely gone, 100%, when I hadn't even really done anything.

Back
Top Bottom