What have you done to your car today?

Investigated the strong rubber smell (not burning rubber just... Rubber) I've had since changing the aux belts. Belts are taught, no slipping, no sign of anything untoward :confused:

Now going to set off to a local car show to enjoy the sunshine :)

So glad to get rid of the rear mounted rack which prevented access into the boot once fitted.

Yeah, the boot bike carrier really is a pain in the arse. Really scratches the bikes up to when there is more than 1 on there.

Having a bigger car now , i have just been chucking the bikes in the back of the car. May be a problem when i have a car full though, so i need to be getting some roof bars soon.

Missed a Mondeo full lockable Thule roof bars system the other month going for £50 on eBay. Didn't know at the time that these were the daddy of roof bars or i would have snapped them up.

Yeah, the boot bike carrier really is a pain in the arse. Really scratches the bikes up to when there is more than 1 on there.

Having a bigger car now , i have just been chucking the bikes in the back of the car. May be a problem when i have a car full though, so i need to be getting some roof bars soon.

Missed a Mondeo full lockable Thule roof bars system the other month going for £50 on eBay. Didn't know at the time that these were the daddy of roof bars or i would have snapped them up.

Yep, our 4007 has a split tailgate so its also nice to be able to use it now when sat in the trail car park putting MTB shoes on etc and having a bite to eat. :)

The Barracuda carriers are immense. Tried them today, bike is held rock solid and takes a couple of minutes to secure and then your done. Awesome. :cool:

Strictly speaking not today, but during last week - Painted brake calipers.

They looked a bit daft with large alloys previously.

First thing that I've ever really done to my own car, so probably not up to motors standards but I'm a lot happier.

EDIT: Took me approx 2 hours per corner to loosen the bolts (nearly sheared a heavy duty wheel wrench), wire brush, de-grease, rinse, paint, mask and then re-attach wheels.
Painted calippers with black hammerite (only non moving parts)

cal1.jpg

cal2.jpg

Provided me with a good opportunity to properly clean the inside of the alloys and give the tyres a good inspection, found a half inch nail embedded near the inner tyre wall on one corner, which fortunately did no further damage (although monitoring pressures more now) and also a sharp graphite type stone engrained into a brand spanking new tyre, left a very nasty mark but would've done more damage over the tyre's life span if I'd left it!

Last edited:
Sometimes systems go to a single larger pipe for power reasons. Can you post a pic?

Sorry for the delay, left her at the garage over the weekend to get it checked over by someone who knows what they're doing haha... I did not expect to get it back and have such a drastic difference in the way it drives!! This thing is rapid! OK nothing at all like my M5 but it feels quick, feels like a completely different type of car :) Very pleased :D

Here be the exhaust, sorry the car is very low - will pick it up once I get the set of summer alloys on, need to refurb and re-tyre.

20130806_174200.jpg

Strictly speaking not today, but during last week - Painted brake calipers.

They looked a bit daft with large alloys previously.

First thing that I've ever really done to my own car, so probably not up to motors standards but I'm a lot happier.

EDIT: Took me approx 2 hours per corner to loosen the bolts (nearly sheared a heavy duty wheel wrench), wire brush, de-grease, rinse, paint, mask and then re-attach wheels.
Painted calippers with black hammerite (only non moving parts)

Provided me with a good opportunity to properly clean the inside of the alloys and give the tyres a good inspection, found a half inch nail embedded near the inner tyre wall on one corner, which fortunately did no further damage (although monitoring pressures more now) and also a sharp graphite type stone engrained into a brand spanking new tyre, left a very nasty mark but would've done more damage over the tyre's life span if I'd left it!

The disc's look a tad worn?

The disc's look a tad worn?

The inner rusty ridge you see is about a mm deep, and the pads have plenty of life on them. They do look very aged and have rusted rather unusually. I've only had the car 3 months, its a 7 year old car so i imagine they aren't the original discs either. The brakes feel very sharp so I think they are fine.

Probably a better pic, pre paint job. Thanks for the feedback btw, I'm still very nooby when it comes to cars but I'm kean to attempt a lot of things myself :)

cal3.jpg

The inner rusty ridge you see is about a mm deep, and the pads have plenty of life on them. They do look very aged and have rusted rather unusually. I've only had the car 3 months, its a 7 year old car so i imagine they aren't the original discs either. The brakes feel very sharp so I think they are fine.

Probably a better pic, pre paint job. Thanks for the feedback btw, I'm still very nooby when it comes to cars but I'm kean to attempt a lot of things myself :)

cal3.jpg

hmmm they still pretty worn to me, but if and whn it comes to a mot they will tell you for sure

Completely off topic (my apologies) but what MTB trials are you using Draeger? I'm usually round Devilla Forest as it's my most local route. :)

Usually Carron Valley trails. And I've just discovered the Callendar Estates trails:-
http://www.dmbins.com/riders/where-to-ride/28_callendar-estate-falkirk

Brilliant single track, about 10 miles long if you do all the trails. They are a 10 min drive from me. Not been into Devilla at all yet on the bike. Been to a few grass/heath fires up that way recently though!!. Are the Devilla trails any good?

Discs look serviceable to me, don't worry about it.

Oh and what have I been doing...
Grubbing about on my back wrestling with the ****ing air suspension bags, pump, solenoids, wiring and general ****yness that is the underside of my Disco.

50+mm lift going on it tomorrow and to **** with the air suspension.

Last edited:
Started fitting LED lights to the interior of my E46. Had a few knocking around from my E36 and they fit ok, I've ordered some more for the dome and rears but a quick shot showing the difference in light:

Back
Top Bottom