What have you done to your car today?

been busy tonight! Zetec block and rocker cover almost fully sanded back to bare metal, prob another couple of days work before starting the rebuild but getting there!

Also got my new sump, crossmember rack and steering column through the post, just need the thing back from the paintshop before I can build it!

Took the spark plugs out as I thought the car felt a little lumpy under light/medium load and revving it from idle would result in a little splutter or two coming back off the throttle. The long term fuel trim numbers were -9% on one bank and +8 on the other.

All the plugs were looking worn, number 4 was as black as black could be :D.
I did check them when I first got the car, it's surprising how much they wore over 6,000 miles.

Changed them for a nice new set, running better now, fuel trim just over 1%.

Gave the BMW it's first real thrash since the vanos job. It's way quicker now. I'd actually consider dynoing the car now as I think it may be back to oe spec. Brakes really cannot keep up

Part 2 of the wheel stud fiasco :p

Despite everyone I called telling me there was no way I could get the studs seperately, I was stubborn and decided to take a trip down to the local breakers, where I found an old S type 15ft up in the air with studs that looked suspiciously similar to mine.

One phone call later and my mechanic friend (who happens to be afraid of heights) came down to help me out, and managed to get the studs off the old car in a matter of minutes.

qfjr.jpg

It's fair to say that getting them back on my car wasn't quite so easy - everything was seized and it took a lot of WD40 and hammering to get the hub off, but eventually we managed it, and here's the result. One nice refurbished wheel back on my car!

e5f9.jpg

The cost of the parts was £5 instead of £150, so I was rather pleased with that :D

Good work there geekman, 97% saving on parts :D

Time to check the other wheel studs? Last thing you want is to have to change a wheel when out and about and the studs snap!

Good work there geekman, 97% saving on parts :D

Time to check the other wheel studs? Last thing you want is to have to change a wheel when out and about and the studs snap!

Exactly - can't complain :D We did check the others - the other front wheel was done up extremely tight but just about came off, the other two were fine. One person I spoke to reckoned it could have been due to the wheel being hit on the kerb multiple times by the previous owner, weakening the studs

Probably the result of someone having done them up in the past with a breaker bar or wheel gun :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised - I really hate it when garages do wheel nuts up stupidly tight!

Not me but I paid for a brake fluid service and ate my own body weight in caramelised biscuits, drunk as much tea as possible and downloaded as much as I could for sky go as I could whilst waiting.

Found out today my car has been crashed/rear ended by the last owner so spent some time clearing out old windscreen glass from under the spare wheel and under the rear seats.

v1ep.jpg

When I got the car I had the rear bumper re-sprayed as there was some bubbling on the paint on one side (obviously poor previous repair).

Gutted is an understatement, considering I've put close to £2000 into it so far on servicing & putting little things right. I'll be sure to check my next car with a fine-tooth comb not that I know exactly what to check.

Poor pic sorry, but we finally got the lower windscreen chrome trim fitted! Needed new clips from the US, but it looks much better now.

551024_10153124571570085_1735213254_n.jpg

We've done a bunch of other little jobs such as:

- fit rear window winder
- use chrome polish to remove rust stains on front bumper (this stuff works wonders!)
- fixed the passenger side air vent so it now longer springs open when you put your foot on the gas!
- cleaned and polished up bits of trim inside and out.

I finally now have the speed nuts to mount the Pontiac badge in the front grill and to replace the 350 hood badges with 400 ones.

The bad news is that the car failed the MOT on two things: front headlight switch (full/dipped) - replaced by NAPS in Northampton, and front ball joints. Apparently the wheels were in danger of falling off when they jacked the car up! Replacements were shipped in, only to find when the guys took the front suspension apart that the control arms were worn. New control arms list at £300+ VAT each, so we are going to try oversize balljoints instead (apparently this works OK with worn controls arms!). Just waiting on more parts from the USA and then she will have an MOT.

We picked up a correct original cigarette lighter at a show the other week, so we now just need the housing and other bits.

Other jobs to do include fitting a phenolic spacer on the carb, fitting the rear shock brace and replacing the fire extinguisher that expired in 2008...

Back
Top Bottom