What have you done to your car today?

Not having to spend time farting around changing oil and getting covered in muck is surely worth the additional £16 for Kwik-Fit?

I would rather spend the £16 else where, hardly get covered in muck either, a wash of the hands at most is needed, and no more than 10 minutes of time.

I would rather spend the £16 else where, hardly get covered in muck either, a wash of the hands at most is needed, and no more than 10 minutes of time.
Unless you are wearing a chemical protection suit you are going to finish covered in bits of oil and grease, smelling of it, and only a bath or shower will clear it.

no more than 10 minutes of time.

This isn't true is it?

Unless it takes you just 10 minutes to:

a) Locate the tools you need
b) Jack up the car and place on axle stands
c) Remove the drain plug
d) Wait whilst oil drains
e) Remove and replace filter
f) Replace drain plug and new sump plug washer
g) Remove axle stands and lower car
h) Refill with oil, checking level as you go
i) Put all tools away

If that takes you 'no more than' 10 minutes then congratulations, you are an internet mechanic hero :p

Unless you are wearing a chemical protection suit you are going to finish covered in bits of oil and grease, smelling of it, and only a bath or shower will clear it.

Are we specifically talking about an oil change on a diesel engined car?

Used diesel engine oil is particularly evil stuff and once its on your hand (or anything really) it stains so badly. I expect thats down to all the fine soot that ends up in the oil and makes it so black.

I wouldnt blame anyone for not wanting to get near the stuff.

[TW]Fox;23474600 said:
This isn't true is it?

a) Locate the tools you need
b) Jack up the car and place on axle stands
c) Remove the drain plug
e) Remove and replace filter
g) Remove axle stands and lower car
h) Refill with oil, checking level as you go
i) Put all tools away

If that takes you 'no more than' 10 minutes then congratulations, you are an internet mechanic hero :p
and faff with undertrays.

even if you had a vacuum pump for the oil, lots of cars have the filter slung on the underside of the block in the bowels of the engine bay, youll still have to faff getting it in the air

so unless you had a BMW-esq oil filter element to change, and a vacuum pump for the oil, you wont get anywhere near 10 minutes

[TW]Fox;23474600 said:
This isn't true is it?

a) Locate the tools you need - One spanner, its on the wall with the rest of them
b) Jack up the car and place on axle stands - Not needed.
c) Remove the drain plug
e) Remove and replace filter - Doing this while waiting for oil to drain.
g) Remove axle stands and lower car - Not needed
h) Refill with oil, checking level as you go - Not needed 99% of the time i get it bang on first go so only one check.
i) Put all tools away

Yes the RX8 was a little more diffucult than my Focus, i used to park it on the curb near my house in such a way that the car ended up only slightly off-level. But RX8 filter is easier as its on the top.

Last edited:
Are we specifically talking about an oil change on a diesel engined car?

Used diesel engine oil is particularly evil stuff and once its on your hand (or anything really) it stains so badly. I expect thats down to all the fine soot that ends up in the oil and makes it so black.

I wouldnt blame anyone for not wanting to get near the stuff.
I was commenting on an RX-8, but to your point I don't go near anything diesel - I have a pack of disposable gloves in my car for the times the station doesn't have any out..

Free oil changes for me and I dont bother chaning any sooner than the 9k Honda recommend.

However the US 3k oil changes is not something the oil companies mind too much

I was commenting on an RX-8, but to your point I don't go near anything diesel - I have a pack of disposable gloves in my car for the times the station doesn't have any out..

it has only happened to me a few times, but i hate it when you fuel up (petrol in my case) and you get back in the car and there are whiffs of diesel

eventually you realise there must have been diesel on the handle of the petrol pump handle and now youve got a hand infected with diesel. the smell is really subborn too

or when someone has spilled it on the floor at the petrol station and you get it on your shoe :o

it has only happened to me a few times, but i hate it when you fuel up (petrol in my case) and you get back in the car and there are whiffs of diesel

eventually you realise there must have been diesel on the handle of the petrol pump handle and now youve got a hand infected with diesel. the smell is really subborn too

or when someone has spilled it on the floor at the petrol station and you get it on your shoe :o
This is why you should have gloves ;)

Get your oil from Opie for £20 for 5 litres, a filter is only £3 and learn to do it yourself, its a doddle.
I've done loads of oil changes myself and yeah it is a doddle... however Opie is £30.67 for 5W-30 oil... and why arse about when I can let someone else do it then I don't have to dispose of the old oil? All for £39 notes. Sorry, but it's just not worth the time or effort anymore when I pass KwikFit a lot as well... pop in, 30 minutes later walk out done.

Last edited:
just googled kwikfit oil and filter change, here is teh first entry

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/112454-kwik-fit-oil-change-warning.html

Yeah but how many happy customers post how happy they are with oil changes... so yeah, well we can all believe in what we want... for every unhappy customer, there's a happy one. My mates taken his Beemer there for years, never had a problem and saved himself a fortune in dealer fees. At the end of the day, it depends on who does the service.

And as for quality of oil, well, I've had all sorts of cars over the years, 200bhp Pugs, 250bhp Saabs and ran them on halfords or Asda semi or fully synth... I've also used Mobil and Castrol... however when was the last time you seen an Asda oil rig? It's all probably the same stuff...

Always used to make me laugh when people said "there's no way I'd go to Asda for my fuel... Shell for me... " and I lived 800 yards from Shell Oil Refinery in Elton near Ellesmere Port and you'd see all their Sainbury's, Asda trucks all filly with the same stuff lol.

hey how, everyone to their own. If people want to use Kwik Fit or want to slate them... at the end of the day, my RX8 has had full Mazda service history and I removed the cabin filters out and they look original and were a disgrace... so quite frankly, dealers can kiss my swingers as well. Just cause' it's a dealer does't make them better than ATS, Kwik Fit or whatever, it all depends on what muppet does the work lol.

EDIT: As a quick note though, Kwik Fit in Ellesmere Port isn't good at all (bit messy and also full of kids), I always go the Chester one...

Always used to make me laugh when people said "there's no way I'd go to Asda for my fuel... Shell for me... " and I lived 800 yards from Shell Oil Refinery in Elton near Ellesmere Port and you'd see all their Sainbury's, Asda trucks all filly with the same stuff lol..

This is actually rubbish. You saw them leaving the same depot - I very much doubt you watched them fill the tankers.

Supermarket fuel, generally, lacks some of the additives in better fuel. Often they'll conform to different standards (BS EN xxxx) which are printed on th pump. You can look them up if you feel so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom