What have you done to your car today?

Some more Citroen C1 love - I knew I had a "few" :D water leaks in the car, mainly a very large leak in the front passenger footwell (upto 300ml of water during the last storm) and huge one in the boot (about 1cm deep in the spare wheel well) so, after ordering a mix of OEM and uprated replacement seals and some additional seals (about £80 in total), I spent a few hours before Storm Ciaran hit outside rapidly resealing everything on my car -

Replacement Boot Lid Inner Seal (uprated)
Replacement Rear High Level Brake Light Seal (uprated)
Replacement 2x Rear Light Cluster Foam Seals (uprated)
Replacement Aerial Seal (OEM)

Additional Boot Lid "Outer" Seal added
Additional Rear Light Cluster Rubber Seals added
Additional Front Door "Outer" Seal added

I found 4 different leaks as I was sealing up my car, 3x boot area (both rear light clusters and the high level brake light) which the new seals should fix and the exact location of the passenger footwell leak, which sadly turned out not to be a "seal" at all but instead a plastic foam cutout in the door itself where my cheap spec car hasn't got a speaker but the door still has the cut-out for one. That'll need fixing next but I didn't have anything available in time before the storm hit so I left it and, next morning, had a far smaller leak in the passenger footwell than before but still a noticeable one but the boot was clear. Once everything drys up for a day or so I've got some plastic/sealant/silicon type stuff to fix that footwell leak once I get the door card off, looks pretty simple.

Last edited:
Took my F Type for its first service in my ownership Thursday. Got it home and checked the oil, turns out it's nicely overfilled. 6.5litre capacity and I've been charged for 7.25litres. There appears to be a difference between the AWD and RWD capacity.

To be fair to Jaguar, they're sending someone to my house this morning to extract some, but a pretty poor show for a main dealer considering they've advised me not to drive it. Less than impressed I must say.

Added CarPlay to my 135i today.

It took a bit longer than I had hoped, as I ran into some issues. I couldn’t find any guides online for the E88 specifically, as there are a couple of key differences compared to the 3 series or the rest of the 1 series.

The CarPlay unit connects over fibre optic so you get better sound compared to the aux-based units, but it does complicate the process a little.

It required coding a CD changer, in addition to re pinning the fibre cables.

I couldn’t get it to work at first, but then realised that I was plugging in the existing fibre cable into the loop, which wasn’t connected to anything. Aka the signal was ending at the end of that cable.

Once I removed that cable from the loop, it worked fine.

Small amount of surgery needed too, as there’s no room behind the head unit for the box.

New battery fitted and registered. Original was 2016 so not too bad going.

Too many parts needed to be removed to gain access but that seems to be the trend these days.

Edit. Just had a call back from MINI main dealer in regards to a quote for a new battery fitted. £450. :cry:

uc

uc

Last edited:
Added CarPlay to my 135i today.

It took a bit longer than I had hoped, as I ran into some issues. I couldn’t find any guides online for the E88 specifically, as there are a couple of key differences compared to the 3 series or the rest of the 1 series.

The CarPlay unit connects over fibre optic so you get better sound compared to the aux-based units, but it does complicate the process a little.

It required coding a CD changer, in addition to re pinning the fibre cables.

I couldn’t get it to work at first, but then realised that I was plugging in the existing fibre cable into the loop, which wasn’t connected to anything. Aka the signal was ending at the end of that cable.

Once I removed that cable from the loop, it worked fine.

Small amount of surgery needed too, as there’s no room behind the head unit for the box.

Nice! Have you got a link to the unit? Does it do Android Auto as well? Also, does it still use the factory/car microphones for bluetooth etc etc?

Nice! Have you got a link to the unit? Does it do Android Auto as well? Also, does it still use the factory/car microphones for bluetooth etc etc?

This is what I liked about it.

Factory mic (and you can still use the mic with idrive)
Factory controls without extra cables (inc steering wheel)
Optical connection to head unit

I imagine you’ve got the CCC system though which doesn’t support factory mic, so you’d need this one: https://www.mr12volt.com/en-gb/collections/bmw/products/p2000-cccmd

Edit: doesn’t list your 130i as being compatible. I would check with them

Last edited:
I treated the missus's Mini to a valet and noticed her aerial was disintegrating so sorted her a new one. Aside from a scuff on her front wheel arch plastic, her car now looks fantastic for an 08 plate. However, while replacing the sparkplugs, I found one of them soaked in oil so it looks like the rocker cover gasket needs replacing next.

Then I liked how her new aerial looked so ended up buying one for myself as well!

olZKB3ml.jpg

Used it to make sweet love to the brick island, hedge and lamp post in my usual parking space at work.

Just barely missed our locksmith's hire van in front :eek:

Busted front nearside tyre. Rears were an advisory at last month's MOT so it's in for 4 new ones at £66/corner. I got really really lucky I think, this could have been a full on smash into a third party.

Also check out the comedy spare wheel :p

Last edited:
Used it to make sweet love to the brick island, hedge and lamp post in my usual parking space at work.

Just barely missed our locksmith's hire van in front :eek:

Busted front nearside tyre. Rears were an advisory at last month's MOT so it's in for 4 new ones at £66/corner. I got really really lucky I think, this could have been a full on smash into a third party.

Also check out the comedy spare wheel :p
How the did you manage that?! Did you jizz your pants because you couldn't handle the excitement of driving a Yaris Verso?

How the did you manage that?! Did you jizz your pants because you couldn't handle the excitement of driving a Yaris Verso?
FWIW the driving is boring but getting 26 boxes into it is just *chef's kiss* :D

Long story short, we have plastic cones to block off sections of our car park. So I have to hop out and move them before parking the car. I hopped back in and started to pull into the space, full lock left, and my door swung open towards colleague's black Ford there. I lunged for it, grabbed the door, and heard revs. Must have stomped on the throttle. Went for the brakes but there was a bang and a bump and I was facing a bit skywards.

All because my seatbelt started sticking a couple of days ago! (And I got careless about it). It stopped the door catch engaging.

Last edited:

This was finished within 24 hours. Bang on the quote plus 1hr labour for 4 wheel alignment. Can't complain when I went from smash to shiny new tyres overnight :)

Last edited:
Low oil light came on this morning, checked and it is correct, it's definitely low. Only had the oil and filter changed last month.

This can only mean one of two things and i'm kinda hoping the garage messed up.

Sorted.
Rang the garage and they said to come over right away. They gave it a once over, confirmed that they can't see any leakage and I confirmed that there's been no blue smoke. They apologised, topped it up and off I went back to work.

A few years back one of my colleagues did that - he'd come in early to open up the business and usually was no one there when he turned up, we'd had an emergency overnight and were waiting outside for him in the car park rather than close up for a few minutes before he arrived. He was so surprised to see us he hit the accelerator instead of brake, went over a brick island in the car park and hit the tree planted in the middle of it... and we were just standing there going did we just see that? a bit concerning as he was one of our van drivers.

Back
Top Bottom