What have you done to your car today?

Cheated and did an oil change on the wife's car a bit different. Must say I got exactly 4.3L out, oil capacity is 4.5L so that's me no longer taking out 65 bolts 24 under trays then to struggle with the sump plug :D just a £15 Amazon oil pump. Took around 5 mins in total, the pop bottle is just to see some of the oil color, was going into a big drum.

Only problem with that method is you do not drain all the sediment in the bottom of the sump its really designed to be drained not pumped!

I agree but the engine is ran quite warm first so this should pump most of it through. Can't be done on cold oil. I honestly don't see an issue with this method, some manufacturers do reccomend pumping oil. I'll pop back in 15k miles and report the engine is cooked :D

Only problem with that method is you do not drain all the sediment in the bottom of the sump its really designed to be drained not pumped!

Depends on the design of the sump, some will be fine and an oil extractor will get every last drop out, others could be as bad as leaving a whole litre in the sump. It depends on whether the dipstick actually leads into the main well of the pan, and what baffles and whatnot are in there.

As for sediment... There really shouldn't be any if you change it when you should.

Classic mistake, changing oil....didn't fully check the label, was miller's 5w40 C3 as it should have been, but was XF premium, not the EE performance I ordered. As I'm filling it up, I noticed it wasn't the right label.

Luckily it was ok to use.

Opie oils sent out what I did order, for next delivery. Good service, apart from their picking, stamped as checked by two people and they both got it wrong

On the subject of oil changes, its funny, I keep cars such a short space of time and do so few miles that I quite often own a car without changing the oil. I buy it, the previous owner says they just serviced it and the oil looks golden so I have no reason to disbelieve them, I put maybe 5000 miles on it, and sell it... :p

37kflCF.png

Exciting upgrade for my ultra exciting Avensis diesel estate. Fitting looks alright consider there's judicious use of double sided tape involved :D

Got the steering wheel controls working. Park signal. Reverse signal. Aerials etc.

Only bugger is I haven't been able to connect the reversing camera. Haven't been able to find a wiring diagram that matches this model (2012 Avensis with premium nav). There was one loose connector with 4 pins connected which I'm pretty sure are the camera connections, but despite trying various combinations of wiring, couldn't get a signal. Then got fed up with it.....have to try and pay someone to sort it out :mad:

Oil & filter change before weather deteriorates ... no matter how well you triangulate the oil drain pan cavity to catch the oil - it always dribbles some on the rim -
caught the crush washer though and remembered to remove the air plug on the pan first ever valvoline oil maxlife 10/40 I've used, usually titan supersyn.

(to hell with heated x,y,z) ability to test the washers on the windscreen, without strobing the wipers and making a smeary mess, if liquid is frozen/low is on my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom