What have you done to your car today?

A ned, are you Scottish? :p

Mine was never actually that loud and it had failed open (not sure what happened there, no golf T or anything) so I'm surprised yours is loud enough to worry about upsetting people. Unless of course you've got failed baffles etc. but the setup inside the 328i rear silencer is hilariously complicated (it does about 3 loops of the box through baffles) which quietens it down loads.

At low revs it shouldn't be that noisy really anyway as you don't have the revs for resonating, the unsociable noise should only come at mid-high revs which is when the valve would normally be open anyway.

My 328 was very quiet around town unless I was being a chav and using the revs loads, unlike the 325 which is just hideously noisy all of the time due to minimal baffles, no cat etc.

Got under mine today and loosened off the nuts holding the exhaust on at the front, to get ready for a certain delivery :cool:

3 out of 4 came loose nicely with a bit of elbow grease, one is properly stuck, so it'll get cut off when the time comes.

Been to scrapyard for some door trim clips, a spare fuel pump (always handy) and also to load up with stuff to eBay - I've got the clips and FP, also found a spare MAF and managed to dig out about £150 worth of stuff to sell on.

Paid £20 for the lot... :o

The cheap Triplewax Fastwax has done a sterling job after today's downpours. Water beading nicely on old 'ugly mug' after I drove it through to Edinburgh today and parked up. Result. Really can't go wrong for a couple of quid. :)

Newbie 1st post.

I am lucky (or am I?) to have 4 very different driving vehicles to use in my household.

Antara 2.2 Diesel - removed a nail from tread of rear tyre, thankfully not punctured - checked pressures on all wheels.

Juke 1.6 petrol - the school run car, not for kids for my missus getting to work. Hoovered, how can one "mature" person make so much mess!

Vitara 03 plate with transfer box - removed a felt nail from a rear tyre & small screw from a fromt & checked all pressures - again no punctures. Nails & screws from works car park shared with all trades vans. Punctures are a regular occurrence & not inexpensive on 4x4's.

Finally a Triumph G-T6 Le Mans style replica raced in the mid 60's. This is a wolf in sheeps clothing running a K-Series 1.8 VVC engine mated to a 5 speed Fprd Type 9 gearbox. Raining at lunchtime when I was about to walk the dog, car is kept in garage accessed via a door from the house, spent 20 minutes hoovering the G-T6 & checking oil & water (well it is a K-Series!).

Willie frae Fife, Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom