What have you done to your car today?

Commissario
I did this.

I've owned a cherished plate (my ham radio callsign) since 2000 and it's currently on the Mazda, I did a search at the weekend on the DVLA site for FEEK and this jumped out at me straight away so I showed it to Mrs. Feek and she said 'do it'. With that blessing, I simply had to!

Let the hating commence.

G9kpNLh.jpeg

Don
Today, I painted my rocker cover:

Before:
IMG_1724.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

After:

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

Not my best paint job but looks a heck of a lot better. Crinkle high-temp paint is a nightmare to spray.

While I had the hood up I thought I'd check the cabin air filter that is frequently forgotten about on S2000s.
IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

Yeah....... I think it's been many, many years since that was changed. If ever.....

New one;
IMG_1733.jpeg

Headlights are yellowing due to age. Time to sort it.
IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

Icecream break, and then on to the other light.....

Associate
Today I was stupid and carelessly and unknowingly tried to fill up with diesel in a petrol car. Thank god nothing happened as the handles are different

Caporegime
Browsing grown up cars and nothing is really tickling my fancy.
C63/E63 AMG, E39/E60 M5, B7/B8 RS4, they all just seem pointlessly quick.

Some JDM things moderately interest me, JZX90/100/110 turbo manuals, I'd love a JZS147 Aristo 3.0V, but there never are any. Turbo Stageas don't really interest me anymore, and pretty much every Skyline is either a GTR (too $$$$$$) or absolutely barry'd to hell. There was a nice R32 GTS-T Type M months ago when I wasn't really looking, but I haven't really seen any since.

Elise 111R is something I have always fancied, but its difficult getting your head around the fact that people are asking double what they were a few years ago! Also not sure it would be particularly pleasant for the occasional 200 mile drive to visit family down south...

I still want a Chimaera, but I'm not sure thats a good choice for a non garaged car, they're a bit leaky by all accounts...

I've always wanted an AE86 but I'm keeping my E30 and I feel like theres a lot of crossover there, lightweight manual RWD 80s car. Arguably not a "grown up car" though, more of an overpriced teenagers wet dream. :p

I did say I'd have loved my Crown if I had manual swapped it, disabled the electronic throttle control, and put it on some sportier suspension... I could get another one and do that to it...

Somehow cars that cost 1/4 as much tickle my pickle more, like an OM606 equipped W210... I think the years of owning cheap ******** has broken my brain. :D

I'm sure none of this will come to fruition and I'll end up buying something completely off the wall and random which makes absolutely zero sense to anyone including myself.

This has been your sleepy 4AM Akagi's brain activity report. Signing off.

Last edited:
Soldato

Some JDM things moderately interest me, JZX90/100/110 turbo manuals, I'd love a JZS147 Aristo 3.0V, but there never are any. Turbo Stageas don't really interest me anymore, and pretty much every Skyline is either a GTR (too $$$$$$) or absolutely barry'd to hell. There was a nice R32 GTS-T Type M months ago when I wasn't really looking, but I haven't really seen any since.

Have you thought about the 3000gt/GTO? i might be slightly biased mind, they will eat up that 200 mile journey no problem. has to be the TT mind!

Soldato
Elise 111R is something I have always fancied, but its difficult getting your head around the fact that people are asking double what they were a few years ago! Also not sure it would be particularly pleasant for the occasional 200 mile drive to visit family down south...
MG TF. Same motor, cheaper car, all the reliability issues and need for regular fettling that Akagi has come to love! Mid-engined for weirdness factor.

Plus they're at that point where you can find running examples for a grand, but 2 or 3 grand will get you a looked after one.

Cheap to work on but lots of upgrade parts, improvements and knowledge out there.

Can find a Japanese market re-import model if you're desperate for air conditioning :p

I'm sure none of this will come to fruition and I'll end up buying something completely off the wall and random which makes absolutely zero sense to anyone including myself.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I still want a Chimaera, but I'm not sure thats a good choice for a non garaged car, they're a bit leaky by all accounts...

I've always wanted an AE86 but I'm keeping my E30 and I feel like theres a lot of crossover there, lightweight manual RWD 80s car. Arguably not a "grown up car" though, more of an overpriced teenagers wet dream. :p

I did say I'd have loved my Crown if I had manual swapped it, disabled the electronic throttle control, and put it on some sportier suspension... I could get another one and do that to it...

Somehow cars that cost 1/4 as much tickle my pickle more, like an OM606 equipped W210... I think the years of owning cheap ******** has broken my brain. :D

This has been your sleepy 4AM Akagi's brain activity report. Signing off.

You like weird left field JDM stuff. Considered a Blademaster G? Probably plenty of power stock but it really doesn’t take a lot to free up 100hp from the 2GR

Soldato
Yes those and the 300ZX! But man oh man, they are not fun to work on, so much complicated 90s electronic / vacuum / emissions stuff tightly packed.

There positively child's play compared to modern cars, the full fat variant might be a bit of a fiddle to fix the niggles but take my MR, a 4wd TT, with very little to go wrong.
I wouldn't want to work on a 300zx though, that engine bay is the definition of cramped!

Caporegime
MG TF. Same motor, cheaper car, all the reliability issues and need for regular fettling that Akagi has come to love! Mid-engined for weirdness factor.

Plus they're at that point where you can find running examples for a grand, but 2 or 3 grand will get you a looked after one.

Cheap to work on but lots of upgrade parts, improvements and knowledge out there.

Can find a Japanese market re-import model if you're desperate for air conditioning :p

Agreed.

I'm not interested in the Rover engined ones, it needs to be a Toyota engined one for a bit of familiarity and reliability. The 111R is specifically the 2ZZ powered one! :)

You like weird left field JDM stuff. Considered a Blademaster G? Probably plenty of power stock but it really doesn’t take a lot to free up 100hp from the 2GR

They intrigue me, but I don't really like how they look inside or out.

I might look into GT-Fours again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took it out for a nice drive around the Worcestershire countryside than back home to give it a good clean in preparation for Sundays Coffee & Chrome breakfast meet at Chateau Impney.

Soldato
Spent an hour figuring out how I'm going to repair a headlight housing on the Elise (broken mounting brackets) as it seems replacements if you can get them are now £800 upwards. Seems to be a common issue that can be fixed with some metal brackets and a little epoxy adhesive or sikaflex, so that's my task for tomorrow.

Soldato

I did the same, recently bought a Giulia QV.... 500bhp on our roads is just pointless. No idea why people remap them to 600bhp.

Re: Elises....I'd only buy one now if I lived somewhere near to decent roads and/or tracked one. I've owned 3 now, and the first one I owned over 20 years ago was brilliant, used to love taking it out. My last one, about 5 years ago....less so. Busy roads, masses of huge SUV's about who you're practically invisible too, speed cameras and speed bumps everywhere. And living in the West Mids....so, yeah.

Get an Evora. Very usable with incredible steering and magic-carpet suspension. Absolutely loved mine. Rock solid residuals too.

Caporegime
I did the same, recently bought a Giulia QV.... 500bhp on our roads is just pointless. No idea why people remap them to 600bhp.

Re: Elises....I'd only buy one now if I lived somewhere near to decent roads and/or tracked one. I've owned 3 now, and the first one I owned over 20 years ago was brilliant, used to love taking it out. My last one, about 5 years ago....less so. Busy roads, masses of huge SUV's about who you're practically invisible too, speed cameras and speed bumps everywhere. And living in the West Mids....so, yeah.

Get an Evora. Very usable with incredible steering and magic-carpet suspension. Absolutely loved mine. Rock solid residuals too.

Because they can is my guess! No other reason to really. Unless they drag race them or something.

Well I live in Norfolk so lots of lanes (lots of lanes), and Snetterton is 20 minutes down the road. An Evora may be a decent idea, I'll have a looksee.

Edit; Ah, Evora is way too much money. Edit2; OK earlier ones are not too bad, 2012 ish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom