What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Fiddled with my E36 M3 a bit

Battery is going through a charge/recondition and i found it was the driver side window reg that was draining it, so that has been fixed

Then i went to the boot, i have never cleaned the boot-shut areas, they were dirty. I had the rubber seal off, lots of trim off, rear lights out and cleaned excess gunk out and "polished" it with wonder-spray and added some silicon sealant to the rubber seal

sorted out the drivers doorcard that wouldnt fit properly... a previous spastic had put a rubber seal on upsidedown and back to front, so now the door cards go on

i changed the chavvy headlights from LHD format to RHD

changed pollen filter

fixed the platic trim thing that surrounds the pedal box as it would interfere with your feet before

win

Associate
Changed the thermostat and one 'on plug' ignition coil that was starting to break down on my 156 JTS. Things went surprising well considering it's an Alfa :D

Today, I was vacuum leak hunting. A whole can of carb cleaner later and I still haven't found it!

i know this feeling, in the end my leak was a small hose from the intercooler to the inlet manifold that had been catching the fan.

Just use water in a spray bottle instead, the engine will bog down instead of revving higher.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ordered a few more bits now ready for some work, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

1) Fuel, oil and air filter
2) new spark plugs
3) Oil
4) Couple of suspension bits as part of the ongoing suspension revamp, all cheap bits that can be done easily all at the same time.

Soldato
They fit between the engine and top mount to stop the engine 'rocking', supposedly to give better throttle response.

Surely just renewing the engine mounts would have the same effect (stopping the movement that is)? How it.could possibly improve throttle response is beyond me, especially if its a newer car with drive by wire!

Caporegime
Surely just renewing the engine mounts would have the same effect (stopping the movement that is)? How it.could possibly improve throttle response is beyond me, especially if its a newer car with drive by wire!

If it stops the engine moving there will be less play in the cable maybe?

I'm probably completely wrong.

Soldato

Even with brand new engine mounts, there is still some movement - and besides this is far easier and cheaper. To be honest, I'm still skeptical about the benefits bud I thought I'd have a go anyway...

Soldato

Because the engine will load up against the mounts and damper sooner when torque is increased such that the tractive effort gets to the driveshafts sooner. This slight decrease in response time is why the throttle will feel sharper. It's like having stiffer engine mounts but without as much of an effect to NVH.

Associate
Stripped more of the MGB back, not much left now, nearly a bare shell!

I also stripped the crank and pistons out of one of the donor engines, trying to work out if I can use these pistons in a different block.

I'll take some photos and update the thread soon :)

Soldato
Finished work at 2. Arrived home and set up my cleaning stuff.

Turned jet washer on, BAM i am wet threw... Gun has a crack in it... Did some F'in and blindin, mumbled n grumbled and then put all the cleaning stuff away.

End result. I am cleaner than my car.

Caporegime
Bought some antifreeze from halfords getting ripped off in the process. Need to change the coolant and thermostat on the gfs Clio 1.2 tomorrow. Any tips? 2002 1.2 16v

Back
Top Bottom