What have you done to your car today?

[TW]Fox;27066096 said:
I thought the goo stuff was ok? I just bought a BMW Mobility Kit for mine complete with cannister of zoo. It only needs to get you to the nearest tyre place, same as one of those space savers does.

As others have said, good for small punctures only. I didn't actually see the damage until I got home, but I had a cut in the sidewall. I'd made it home before I realised the tyre was flat, but if I had stopped and tried to use it at the side of the road, it wouldn't have worked. For the sake of £20, I'd rather have the space saver.

That said, I hear proprietary products like TyreWeld are better than the stuff supplied in manufacturers mobility kits. Also, I think it's a myth that it makes a tyre unrepairable; more likely is that it just takes time to clear from the inside of the tyre so the puncture can be identified and repaired, so most places won't bother.

Dash threw up a tyre warning the other day so I checked the pressures out as soon as possible. My rears are meant to be 2.8 bar (40psi) but we're at 1.4 bar (20 psi). Oh dear. Sorted that problem out and it appeared to be ok the following morning except the warning flagged up again in the evening. Down to 1.7 bar (25psi ish) so decided enough was enough.

Replaced both rears with new Pirellis. Will have to do the fronts in a few days - they have plenty of tread left but they're just crap tyres.

Cleaned out the Idle Air Control Valve with carb cleaner to stop a noise known as 'moosing', which was getting horrendous and would case the revs to drop to zero when I stopped sometimes. Really I should get a new IACV but this seems to be working for now.

Also new oil and filter.

New rear spats!

Before
No_rear_spats.jpg

After
Rear_Spats.jpg

Spats_Low.jpg

Fitted some Philips Extreme Vision H7 bulbs and also stripped out my instrument cluster on Mondeo to change the bulbs in there as a few had blown. Was relatively painless.

Its kinda nice having a pretty crap car to practice stuff on :)

The headlights seem a bit brighter than before but nothing really special.

Last edited:
Xcarlink? I found the cable annoyingly short as I stuck mine in the armrest bin. It has reasonable functionality for the price but I'm now thinking about just going double din and making it look like the newer sat nav models.

You flogging the old ones on eBay?

Can't help but think the others suited the SE better, although the new ones do look nice.
Those mudflaps look abysmal as well :p

You got a can of tyreweld in the boot then?

Xcarlink? I found the cable annoyingly short as I stuck mine in the armrest bin. It has reasonable functionality for the price but I'm now thinking about just going double din and making it look like the newer sat nav models.

It is short if you don't use the Y cable.

I'll keep this set up for a while now and might look into a double din when I find one I like!

Quite laughable how much you have to remove to change the CD player :p

Tell me about it! Complete nightmare .

Back
Top Bottom