What have you done to your car today?

Yeah, more common in the states. I went down this route because these calipers are available new from GM parts direct for a very reasonable price. I can put this setup together using all brand new parts for only slightly more than a used set off an evo/sti/350z/gtr.
Thinking of trying out the Project Mu B spec pads, they seem reasonably priced and suitable for my usage, the HC+ is meant to be great but incredibly noisy so not for me.

Did a little more work on mine last week, front PU off again and some new cooling pipes installed to go along with the new rads and new air con condensers.

I also sprayed the air duct insert for the front PU silver as it was a really sun stained and had gone a light grey (was originally black). Was bringing down the look of the freshly sprayed front bumper.

I also went out and bought new coolant and new oil for it as well as a fresh set of plugs as it has now done 2k since the rebuild so its time to drop all of the oil and coolant for some fresh stuff.

Last edited:
Fitted leather seats a while back in the focus, finally got around to wiring up the heater pads as I was waiting on the switches plus some resistors & capacitors to fool the SRS module. The leather front seats don't come with side airbags like the cloth originals, the warning light comes on unless a resistor and capacitor is soldered inline into the circuit to mimic an airbag.

A lot of people have this issue fitting after-market race seats etc, for a track car.

10424238_10152946753377889_7771390533686431732_n.jpg

Cleaning in progress, didn't you notice the gear stick surround is a bit wet?! :p

Any vehicles I use get filthy over winter as I'm a builder. At the moment it's full of really fine sapele dust that's come off my clothes; due to me making solid hardwood doors in our joiners shop over the last few weeks.

Last edited:
Yesterday - Steering wheel re-trimmed:
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/temp/steeringwheel-retrim.jpg[img]

Old wheel still in good condition so will be going up for sale!

Today - Handbrake and gearbox Alcantara gaiters:
[img]http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/temp/gaiter_handbrake.jpg[img]

[img]http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/temp/gaiter_gear.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh.

Changed the battery on the JCW today. It was getting a little slow to start up since it's been getting colder. New battery has a bigger capacity and more CCAs so should help!

New vs old:
1.jpg

Cleaned out the battery tray:
2.jpg

Position in engine bay:
3.jpg

New one installed:
4.jpg

Started on the button with much more vigor!! The red and black cables are for my Ctek comfort charger.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh.

In time :p

What stereo do you have and do you have Aux in?

BMW Business CD at present but I have this on order:

Andrive08-500x500.jpg

It's the Android 4.2 powered AN46-3, like Dynavin but geared toward Android devices as opposed to Apple. Capacitive glass screen too unlike slower older non glass screens.

That'll make it look so much smarter, the climate relocation and screen even when the lot is switched off really lifts it in my opinion.

Tried and failed miserably to remove the VANOS solenoid from my M54 engined 530i, a simple job from the on-line guides and youtube videos yet mine won't budge. :/

Why is it the simple jobs turnout to be anything but?

Tried and failed miserably to remove the VANOS solenoid from my M54 engined 530i, a simple job from the on-line guides and youtube videos yet mine won't budge. :/

Why is it the simple jobs turnout to be anything but?

I removed mine on a M52 with an old spanner that was modified to fit as I did not have one large enough, it came off fairly easily.

What tool are you using?

HVAC re-locator arrived today, remarkable how they can charge £60 odd for a piece of plastic with a cubby!

Especially considering the 18mm one costs £30...

Anyway, a task for once the HU arrives.

Claybar kit and softtop preserver kit also arrived. It's gonna be a busy weekend :D

I removed mine on a M52 with an old spanner that was modified to fit as I did not have one large enough, it came off fairly easily.

What tool are you using?

32mm wrench (which seems ever so slightly too big hence starting to round it off) also tried large grips which I've had clamped on the solenoid body, solid grip but still it won't budge no matter how hard I pull it knock with a lump hammer(!) thinking of trying a strap wrench next if I can borrow one from one of my works fitters...

Did the same job on my old M54 engined e46 without issue, it came off without any real effort at all...

32mm wrench (which seems ever so slightly too big hence starting to round it off) also tried large grips which I've had clamped on the solenoid body, solid grip but still it won't budge no matter how hard I pull it knock with a lump hammer(!) thinking of trying a strap wrench next if I can borrow one from one of my works fitters...

Did the same job on my old M54 engined e46 without issue, it came off without any real effort at all...

Yeah being aluminium it is very easy to round the corners off. That is crazy that even shock from a hammer blow hasn't got it shifting. I wonder if it has been previously removed and the threads were damaged or it was over torqued or something to get it so bound up?

The strap sounds like a good idea though and certainly worth a try.

Yeah being aluminium it is very easy to round the corners off. That is crazy that even shock from a hammer blow hasn't got it shifting. I wonder if it has been previously removed and the threads were damaged or it was over torqued or something to get it so bound up?

The strap sounds like a good idea though and certainly worth a try.

I'm beginning to suspect some previous work on it, there were signs of rounding on the corners prior to me starting on it so it has probably been off previously (or whoever tried last decided to leave it!) - I've a horrible feeling that once it's off, it won't go back on again...

Best case scenario if so, I'll need a new solenoid, worst case, new VANOS! :/

I'm beginning to suspect some previous work on it, there were signs of rounding on the corners prior to me starting on it so it has probably been off previously (or whoever tried last decided to leave it!) - I've a horrible feeling that once it's off, it won't go back on again...

Best case scenario if so, I'll need a new solenoid, worst case, new VANOS! :/

That does not sound good, fingers crossed the strap wrench will help but it does sound like it is very well stuck. It is very frustrating when something that should be fairly straightforward gives you hassle!

Indeed it is, on my old 325 (M54) the solenoid was barely more than finger tight as such and came off easily, took me all of 20 minutes start to finish, yesterday was about 2 hours, skinned knuckles and lots of cursing! :o

Back
Top Bottom