What have you done to your car today?

I made it light weight, gotta shed those kilos some how.

7EC1103E-B45A-4B40-BE4F-CF39E66D756F.jpg

3D7EB7FE-20C4-49C7-94E1-0F1B2E3B3E44.jpg

New discs, pads and calipers on the rear.

IMG_20150111_171158.jpg

IMG_20150111_154222.jpg

Old calipers were seized to buggery! Dust seals are missing as they perished away, so I took them off when I stripped the calipers down a couple of months ago to keep them going a bit longer.

IMG_20150111_140140.jpg

Finally got all the bits and fitted a reverse parking camera, my spare Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB head unit and a DAB aerial into the wife's S-Max. Bit of a shame the dash trim is silver and the HU is black but it works nicely.

http://www.swack.co.uk/smaxhu.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Could I ask what make/model the camera is? I've got an old Pioneer DVD screen and a reverse camera would be handy on my Shogun!

My initial bodge to secure the arch liner to the front bumper (a single piece of double sided sticky tape) lasted for 3 months. :p

When it came unstuck, I decided to try a little bit harder with my bodge, and use several strips of gaffa tape, but it didnt react so well to the weather and came un-stuck in a few days. :D

So I am going to have to up my bodge game and secure it with a bit of random plastic and a couple of bolts.

In other news, the mirror trim which I secured with velcro stayed on for 8 months, but came flying off the other day, so now I have no mirror trim... I'll buy a new one which will come with clips... :rolleyes:

Mechanically I look after my car, but cosmetically anything goes. :p

Yeah the hybrid ones are the only aftermarket ones I've seen so far that really suits the E46 arms and looks oem but sadly for me the wiping was poor and the fit was too wobbly for my liking.

Alca will remain best for performance :)

You were bang on the money regarding the MTEC's, Mrk! What an utterly odd blade, half the passenger side one doesn't touch the screen, and the driver side one seems to lift on the way back down leaving an area of water on the screen :p

Which of the Alcas do you recommend please? They seem to have an aero blade, and a standard wiper.

Thanks

AC re-gas. It was completely dry. Garage said the pump and seals seemed in excellent condition and the partial gas+UV fluid they put in last week was the same amount measured today so no slow leaks to note either.

You were bang on the money regarding the MTEC's, Mrk! What an utterly odd blade, half the passenger side one doesn't touch the screen, and the driver side one seems to lift on the way back down leaving an area of water on the screen :p

Which of the Alcas do you recommend please? They seem to have an aero blade, and a standard wiper.

Thanks

Glad my mtec ones weren't a Friday build then haha!

The Alca ones I've always bought after trying others in between are these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110889729693?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As you can see they're much flatter than the usual "flat" aero type blades. The centre bit where the arm goes into does come out a bit so there is an obvious gap between blade and arm when attached.

One thing to note is that they do lift a bit at very high speeds but at motorway legal speeds they're just fine and the wipe is clean from end to end :)

For a cheaper alternative it might be worth going into your nearest Tesco superstore. They have a new range of flat blades at something silly like £8. I tried a pair last year and they seemed really good too but foolishly broke off one of the end plastic clips while washing the car one day and never bothered to get another set.

My initial bodge to secure the arch liner to the front bumper (a single piece of double sided sticky tape) lasted for 3 months. :p

When it came unstuck, I decided to try a little bit harder with my bodge, and use several strips of gaffa tape, but it didnt react so well to the weather and came un-stuck in a few days. :D

So I am going to have to up my bodge game and secure it with a bit of random plastic and a couple of bolts.

If it's out of sight, how about putting a drill through it and then securing it in place with some cable ties? Much less chance of it coming undone then.

AC re-gas. It was completely dry. Garage said the pump and seals seemed in excellent condition and the partial gas+UV fluid they put in last week was the same amount measured today so no slow leaks to note either.

Glad my mtec ones weren't a Friday build then haha!

The Alca ones I've always bought after trying others in between are these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110889729693?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As you can see they're much flatter than the usual "flat" aero type blades. The centre bit where the arm goes into does come out a bit so there is an obvious gap between blade and arm when attached.

One thing to note is that they do lift a bit at very high speeds but at motorway legal speeds they're just fine and the wipe is clean from end to end :)

For a cheaper alternative it might be worth going into your nearest Tesco superstore. They have a new range of flat blades at something silly like £8. I tried a pair last year and they seemed really good too but foolishly broke off one of the end plastic clips while washing the car one day and never bothered to get another set.

Perfect, thanks Mrk! I'll go with a set of Alca's as you rate them quite highly. I annoyingly broke the securing clip on the Bosch ones that were on the car before so I can't even pop those back on for the meantime! :p

In other news, the XBMC media centre I purchased for my E46 was diagnosed faulty, should hopefully have another here next week. Listening to the radio sucks!

Back
Top Bottom