What have you done to your car today?

How do LED interiors handle the dimming? Do they stutter down, dim properly or just turn off?

Om, so I've had another play with then and the internal ones, courtesy front & rear, dim. The puddle lights don't dim, they stay on for a few seconds longer and then switch off.

I've also replaced my side lights for the same LEDS.

16113516228_0c3b362b04_b.jpg

16115208227_324da548d8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Had a very busy day on the Mondeo! I had

• 4 Dunlop SportMaxx RT tyres fitted
  • I changed the pollen filter which was A: a nightmare and B: ****ing disgustingly black with crap (see pics).
  • Then I fitted a new Eonon D5162E headunit which works well so far (no CANBUS issues) and routed the Ipod/USB/GPS/Microphone cables around the car
  • Installed the wires for a new reverse camera from the headunit to the glovebox but didn't do the camera fit or the rest of the cable routing yet
  • Finally I spent the next hour bleeding everywhere when I got back into the warm and the blood started flowing again and then rapidly left me through the 1000 little cuts I didn't realise I had!

I don't think my Pollen filter had ever been changed in the cars 182K miles as it was jet black and clogged with dust. It was a Carbon filter too as you can see from the grey "clean air" side.

This is the dirty air side and is white on a new filter

mondeofilter01.jpg

and this is the clean air activated carbon side which looks like this when new too.

mondeofilter02.jpg

My hands are sliced to hell after doing similar jobs (new head unit, reverse camera etc) to the wife's S-Max recently :) Lots of random cuts and slices and a couple of screwdriver slips. Hurts like hell for a day or two.

Today I changed the oil and oil filter on it. I bought one of those electric oil pumps the other day which has a tube that you put down the dipstick hole and another tube into a container and it pumps the oil out that way. Managed to drain over 5 litres out of the S-Max in 3 or 4 minutes which is good going. Out of curiousity I took the sump plug out after to see how much was left behind and hardly anything came out so I'll definitely be using the pump more often for all our cars. Very handy bit of kit, especially for cars like my 3 Series and the S-Max where the oil filter is directly accessible from the top of the engine bay.

Also replaced a load of trim clips that I broke while routing all the cables around everywhere and used Sugru to fix up where I had to slice the boot lid rubber tubes for reverse camera wire routing purposes :)

Finally I have pretty much confirmed I've sorted an issue with the S-Max battery draining. The car was fine until I replaced the stock head unit. After 3 or 4 days the battery went flat and the car refused to start so I went out and bought a new battery (the car is almost 6 years old and is on the stock battery still) and it was fine afterwards....for another 3 or 4 days. I did some reading and people seemed to have issues with the Bluetooth module in the car causing battery drain over time too. Since I had swapped the head unit out the Ford Bluetooth module was no longer required so after pulling lots of trim out and unbolting the glove box I located the module and unplugged it. It's now been over 4 days and the car's firing up fine so I'm fairly convinced it was that. Pretty bizarre.

Last edited:
Took the MX5 to get aligned, as I bought and installed some coilovers during the week. It is feeling so much more planted on the road now. The front was completely out, with around a degree difference across the axle, although due to the caster also being out, it was still pointing straight when driving.

I fitted some BMW E30 wiper arms on my car to replace the laughable things that VW referred to as wipers (Corrado)!!!

Fairly straightforward to replace, although I had to recess the driver's spindle slightly to stop it rubbing. They work so much better than the orig arms, and cost me about £16 for the arms and new blades :)

Snips - I'll add a post to your Mk4 Headunit thread but long story short, piece of cake once the existing plastic cage at the rear of the console is "removed" with a hammer/saw/chisel etc :D

Changed the gearbox oil in my GT JTDm. Not much swarf on the plug either! Just did it for peace of mind to be fair!

I done the fuel and pollen filter last week. ^ My pollen filter was also very dirty not as bad as that but still had doubtful it had been changed its on 78k.

Breaker breaker 19, Do you copy Rubber duck.
There's a bear in the air
:D

Fitted the CB I bought last weekend, still not sure where to put the aerial though.
Annoyingly I've just finished putting the headlining back in too, which is going to make it stupidly awkward to route the cable now. What a ****

Last edited:
When I'm greenlaning, it is very useful to talk to the other vehicles and also if we go on a tour anywhere in a....... convoy... :D:D

When I'm greenlaning, it is very useful to talk to the other vehicles and also if we go on a tour anywhere in a....... convoy... :D:D

"Greenlaning"

I hate people like you :/

Why not **** off to a dedicated 4x4 place? Why tear up and ruin footpaths that were designated RUPS or BOATS when the biggest machine travelling along them was a horse.

Last edited:
Got up early for its MoT (passed), then stayed out for a morning hoon around the countryside. Great fun. After recent weeks of tedious commuting I had forgotten just how properly fast and lairy the 130i is when provoked, especially on cold winter roads.

Have set an alarm for tomorrow morning...

Went out with the intention of changing my front speakers as one is making a weird noise and can't get into the car :( . Stupid weather has frozen my doors shut and it feels like the handle will break before the ice does when I try pull it open. The problem is that it's not even very cold here yet, so I'm going to be screwed when winter actually arrives.
I have read that rubbing alcohol/dw40/something similar may stop it when I eventually get it.

Back
Top Bottom