What have you done to your car today?

Ouch indeed, as below, a mk3 astra, with lots of lows!

I checked it today while on the ramp, I am amazed it didn't crack!

IMG_20150118_123902.jpg

Today I fitted 2 new lower wishbones, the rear bushes had almost fallen apart :o Never EVER putting pattern parts on my car again! So got a pair of genuine vaux ones on there now. Also put it on the hunter and sorted out the front alignment, it dives different altogether now, very happy!

Gave it a wash as I got home as it was ditched.

IMG_20150118_134444.jpg

IMG_20150118_164104.jpg

Next job is sorting out fitting the Saxo electric PAS pump.

How much Bhp is that running? Bet it surprises a few people at the lights :D

Took all 4 wheels off, cleaned them entirely, rotated front to back and put my brake pads in properly (they had a clip, the stock pads had it outside, these fit inside).

Took a screw out of one of the tires as it's been in there for 2 months, turned out it was a self tapping wood screw, huge head but only about 4mm long! Win!

Looks like VX sumps are stronger than VW sumps then, mine left the contents of it's entire oil pan behind when the old dear hit an exhaust box in the road.
All I can say is thank **** she stopped when all the lights on the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Luckily it's a saab sump not vx, I don't think a vx sump would have survived either :p

Lucky she did stop! I've seen a few smashed vw sumps lol.

I'd forgotten how good the old mk3 astra looked, especially the 3 door. Looks mega in yellow :D

I do like them, I think they're quite understated in their looks, and have aged well. Thanks :)

How much Bhp is that running? Bet it surprises a few people at the lights :D

354bhp and 356lb.ft, yeah does shock a few, especially with the 1.6 badges still fitted :D

Went out with the intention of changing my front speakers as one is making a weird noise and can't get into the car :( . Stupid weather has frozen my doors shut and it feels like the handle will break before the ice does when I try pull it open. The problem is that it's not even very cold here yet, so I'm going to be screwed when winter actually arrives.
I have read that rubbing alcohol/dw40/something similar may stop it when I eventually get it.

Last night was a very wet one, Didnt rain too much but when i got up there was a good 5mm layer of ice

That Astra is awesome. I think it looks great in that colour too, and looking (mostly) standard / "OEM +".. I'll forgive the exhaust on account of it probably being a requirement of that much horsepower :eek:

Are there any more photos / interior pics etc somewhere? I seem to remember you posting a link to a build thread before :)

That Astra is awesome. I think it looks great in that colour too, and looking (mostly) standard / "OEM +".. I'll forgive the exhaust on account of it probably being a requirement of that much horsepower :eek:

Are there any more photos / interior pics etc somewhere? I seem to remember you posting a link to a build thread before :)

Haha thanks! Yeah I've tried to keep it fairly standard looking with some subtle mods. And yes the exhaust is a requirement, 3" from the turbo all the way back! I'll find some pics when I'm home tonight as linking from Dropbox seems impossible from a phone.

I like it!

A nice steering wheel refurb would finish it off nicely :)

Thanks. The steering wheel isn't that bad actually, I think it looks worse in pictures. It's from a Vectra, with all the steering wheel radio controls too.

I like the attention to detail and how the interior isn't just a mess of gauges and holes where equipment and bits of trim used to live etc! :)

Yup that's how I wanted it. I do around 20k miles a year, so I wanted something that was nice to drive as well as being able to handle track days etc.

There's many retro-fitted mods.. cruise control, trip computer, BMW auto-dim rear view mirror, down to things like the chrome door handles from a vectra and all sorts.

Still loaaads to do though, it's nowhere near where I want it to be yet. but I love it :) I'm sure many people will think 'why bother doing such things to a crappy old Astra?'.. well I love the car, and enjoy doing it, and enjoy driving it even more :) I need a new clutch though, my already uprated clutch is starting to slip in 6th gear now :(

To any fans of my ever reliable and well travelled MR2, I'm sorry to report that it's been stolen, crashed and burnt out :(

Absolutely gutted, both at myself for not taking enough care of the keys, and at the people who took it. I doubt I'll ever own another car which which was so fun, cheap and reliable.

To any fans of my ever reliable and well travelled MR2, I'm sorry to report that it's been stolen, crashed and burnt out :(

Absolutely gutted, both at myself for not taking enough care of the keys, and at the people who took it. I doubt I'll ever own another car which which was so fun, cheap and reliable.

Well that's just crap.

I'd love to be able to trust a turbo to run every day still

Back
Top Bottom