What have you done to your car today?

You painted your car with dulux and a roller? :confused:

Yup. Its a track/skid toy so its more function over form and looks a bit tatty anyway. I decided i wanted to paint it satin something and after a while thought I'd try the dulux out :P. Ill think people will like it when im done, sort of a mad max JDM thing that has been done a fair few times before.

People out here paint their cars with truck bedliner (really hard paint/plastic coating) even Mythbusters did an episode on it to test if it helped in crashes and it actually did.

I challenge you to do that!

Challenge accepted, we have a banger rally planned in September so ill pick up some wreck that i can try that out on :P (i think a merc w124 estate is the likely candidate so far)

I swear to christ every nut/bolt on my car was torqued up by He-Man. Every time I touch it there's something seized :p

That made me truly lol. Such an obstacle is why I have not tried doing stuff on my car myself, it's far past second hand and I'm worried I'll break something taking it off or not being able to get something back on.

That made me truly lol. Such an obstacle is why I have not tried doing stuff on my car myself, it's far past second hand and I'm worried I'll break something taking it off or not being able to get something back on.

It's really frustrating, even the most basic of jobs are a nightmare! Looking at getting one of these to make my life easier, seems decent for doing basic jobs at home: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench

I use Plus Gas. It works rather well.

Same. I'd always used WD40 until I read an article about how it really isn't designed as a dismantling fluid, even though everyone uses it like that. So grabbed some PlusGas before tacking the ARB bushes on the X-Trail.

I gave the bolts a good spraying the day before doing the work, and again just before starting, and managed to undo all the bolts with relatively little drama. Hard to definitively say it was down to PlusGas, but these were exposed bolts that had been in place for almost 10 years/120K miles, so I had expected them to put up a real fight.

I just use regular wd40, this stuff a lot better I take it?

WD40 has a clue in it's name as to what it's meant for...Water Displacement. It isn't really a penetrating fluid or release agent and shouldn't be used as such. I used to use it, but it was utter rubbish at actually freeing stuff off and so I decided to fork out the massive cost of Plus Gas ( sub £5 ) and it has helped free off loads of bolts on the mk2 Golf, really don't know why I didn't buy it sooner.

Most of the bolts on the car only need a spray a couple mins before trying to undo them and if you read the instructions for use, you just need to spray them a min or so before, tighten the bolt/nut a touch and then undo it. As yet, I've not found anything that needs spraying the day before, worst case has required a wait (after trying and then spraying again) of an hour or so and this is a 26 year old car with many miles.

E: Anything that claims to be multipurpose like that wurth stuff will likely just be similar to WD40...ie not as good as a dedicated product.

Last edited:
It's really frustrating, even the most basic of jobs are a nightmare! Looking at getting one of these to make my life easier, seems decent for doing basic jobs at home: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench

I have one of these,

To be honest it's big and clunky thus I find there are a lot of areas on the car it can't be used.

However when you get use it I have never come across a bolt or nut it cannot undo!

For the money I'd say go for it. Makes a lot of suspension jobs a walk in the park.

Kind Regards

Alec

Back
Top Bottom