What have you done to your car today?

You need to actually check your oil... you didn't check it for 10,000 miles?!?!

Also, mine used about a quarter of the dipstick in the first 6000 miles (first service) from owning brand new

First oil top up. Low oil light came on for the first time yesterday almost 11months/9800miles since new. Considering my old car would need topping up every 3 months it seems pretty good.

Just out of curiousity, what cars/engines do you guys have?

Mine has done 12k since I last changed the oil and the dipstick level is still absolutely fine - although I have done that 12k in about 3 or 4 months. Oil change interval is 18k but I'll be doing it any day now. Of course my engine is a bog standard 2 litre diesel but just curious as to what engines you guys have got to drink oil that much :)

got the estimate back, £4133.99 for all the work (needs a new bonnet too apparently)

writing the car off

decisions, decisions as half of the cost is cosmetic, I might see if I can buy it back, I do love the car even if it's not for 99.9% of the male population :p

Will, your MX-5 seems to get better all the time. Would love a passenger ride at some point, sounds like you have massively improved the car :)

Cheers, welcome to have a passenger ride at some point, no doubt I will be at the next rolling road day. You may see it in Birmingham from next week too, starting a new job there on Monday.

Done more jobs today, changed the anti roll bushes for superpro items, fixed a rattle with the exhaust heatshield and a really annoying one from the wiring harness for the heated rear screen on the hardtop. Very much a case of chase the rattle with any mx5, even the mk3 has a few annoying ones.

got the estimate back, £4133.99 for all the work (needs a new bonnet too apparently)

writing the car off

decisions, decisions as half of the cost is cosmetic, I might see if I can buy it back, I do love the car even if it's not for 99.9% of the male population :p

If this is the Z4 I'd buy it back. I think they're lovely cars :cool:

You could easily get it fixed for <4k if you're happy too.

Its not just getting it fixed for less than £4k, it's getting it fixed then covering the loss in value through it being a cat d that needs to be covered.

That said, I'd be surprised if you couldn't cover it, unless they wanted silly money to buy it

Replaced the front bushes

Car has always had a pull to the right at low-med speeds, since I bought it in Oct/Nov. Took it for wheel alignment today at a local garage. They asked me to pop back to show me the bushes - they'd almost gone completely, the rubber had split to pieces. Bushes were the only advisory on the MOT, so they replaced bushes and aligned wheels.

Happy it's done... still a very small pull to the right though... nearly fine, a hundred times better than before, but still a pull!

Whoever invented the double cardan joint wants beating round the head with one of them.

I have JUST got home from work having been beating mine up since 17:30 today.
If I see another needle roller bearing ever again, it will be too soon.

MOT for my 15yo 236k Audi a4 today, already had the call that its failed :/
somthing about CV joint, and too much play in a tracking rod.

whats worse though is that they also failed it on a tyre.. last week when i booked it in i had them check the tyres and they said 1 was good, the other 3 will pass but will need to be replaced soon after, now they say 1 is bad, and the other 3 are on the limit.. i hadnt even used the car since they checked them last week :(
anyway they have swapped the bad one for my spare (which is brand new) so they can pass it without needing to buy tyres this week
so £232 to pass it, and 3 new tyres next week so total will be just over £400
il get them to pick the best of the old ones to replace my spare

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom