What have you done to your car today?

Been spending the last few evenings locked in the garage preparing my set of 9-3 Aero alloys. Keyed them up, filled and rubbed down. One wheel was given a guide coat of primer just to see how crap a job of filling I did, but to my amazement, it was almost perfect.

Conditions in my garage are terrible for painting (very damp and about the same temp as outdoors), so I'm making a temporary heated spray booth out of bits of wood and polythene sheet. Quite enjoying it really!

Ordered a set of eibachs for the fn2 today, it's going in for two new front shocks so thought I'd be as well to give them a go. Hoping it won't be any more back breaking than it already is

Looks like I'll be keeping it another year now though, not keen to spend £600 on it then get rid. Typical that I noticed the leaking shock about a day after it went up for sale.

Been spending the last few evenings locked in the garage preparing my set of 9-3 Aero alloys. Keyed them up, filled and rubbed down. One wheel was given a guide coat of primer just to see how crap a job of filling I did, but to my amazement, it was almost perfect.

Conditions in my garage are terrible for painting (very damp and about the same temp as outdoors), so I'm making a temporary heated spray booth out of bits of wood and polythene sheet. Quite enjoying it really!

Would love to see the results/process of this :) Have been tempted to buy an old curbed wheel purely to do this on, it looks like loads of fun!

I haven't taken photos as I've been going along, but took some of the bits I used and the rubbed down wheels. Will start a thread when I get them finished.

One thing I've learned is that I would definitely not want to do any wheels that I couldn't fit a detail/delta sander between the spokes of - it would take forever to key them up by hand! Could have them stripped I suppose though.

Ordered a set of eibachs for the fn2 today, it's going in for two new front shocks so thought I'd be as well to give them a go. Hoping it won't be any more back breaking than it already is

Looks like I'll be keeping it another year now though, not keen to spend £600 on it then get rid. Typical that I noticed the leaking shock about a day after it went up for sale.

£600 quid is nothing, I had my car october and have receipts for 1500 quid, selling it now! lol.

You may be surprised with the Eibach's, people claim it improves the ride over standard, let us know how you get on :)

£600 quid is nothing, I had my car october and have receipts for 1500 quid, selling it now! lol.

You may be surprised with the Eibach's, people claim it improves the ride over standard, let us know how you get on :)

It's not really nothing on a car that was planned to be sold - that's effectively £600 less on selling price, which would always be less than asking in any case. Potentially putting me say a grand down from what it's listed at. I can't live with that when I can just run it for another year with it unlikely to throw up any large bills, so it stays!

I've seen the claims r.e Eibach ride - I remain to be convinced but we shall see, I suspect the fact it has all new springs and front shocks will help the ride to such an extent that the offset extra harshness vs standard, new springs isn't noticed.

Pleasingly enough the weakened Euro means I bought a set for just over £100 delivered from ebay rather than close to £180 sourced in the UK

Last edited:
Those on FB would have seen this, but after doing relatively nothing to my cars for about a year, today I finally finished their new home. It's cavity walled, with it's own consumer unit, with remote electric roller shutters.
Time to bring the Evo over I guess!

Lost a bit of it due to madam's mini crossfit gym, but I can fit both cars in there with plenty of space to spare. Lots of storage space in the roof too with the flooring that has been put down.

Looks fantastic, I'm mega jealous :(

Fitted new headlight bulbs to the Mazda 3 yesterday, as one of them died. Whiter light now inside the projectors, and the road is also lit up better!

Also got new wheels through for the MX5, along with new tyres. Test fitted them, and they clear the new brakes with plenty of room!

I've got a front facing dashcam but wanted a rear facing one too, just in case some scrote rams into me and tries to claim I rolled back or something. As it's something that's unlikely to be needed I didn't want to spend a great deal on it. Then it came to me - I have a reverse parking camera as it is, so why not just have that recording to SD card?

So I rigged this up today:

ATfhVPj.jpg

I will be locating it somewhere a bit better than the glovebox eventually but while I'm testing it out it's going to sit there. Works well so far though.

How does that work then?

Most reverse cameras are linked to the reverse light feed so they only interrupt and display video on screen when you're in reverse - assume this has an ignition live which also powers the camera, then a switched reverse tap so it still interrupts the screen with video when requires?

[TW]Fox;27676261 said:
Does that happen to you a lot?

What about a side facing camera incase some guy t-bones you and tries to claim you drifted into him?

Every day ;)

No I completely get your point and I've read your posts and opinions in the dashcam thread. For the most part I completely agree with you. However I have had it happen to me once before and I realise the chances of it happening again are slim.

But for the sake of 5 minutes work and £13 it's no big deal even though it's highly unlikely it'll ever be needed.

How does that work then?

Most reverse cameras are linked to the reverse light feed so they only interrupt and display video on screen when you're in reverse - assume this has an ignition live which also powers the camera, then a switched reverse tap so it still interrupts the screen with video when requires?

Yes that's right. My camera's power is connected to an ignition power feed so it's always on when the car is running. The canbus connection just instructs the head unit to display the image when reverse gear is engaged, but otherwise the camera is always powered up so the box is able to permanently record video.

I got offered £3400, I paid £2150 for it and spent a chunk on it so it was a case of "nice I will lose nothing!" but he pulled out tonight so I've advertised further afield now as I want a Focus ST. I was gonna get a bit of finance on top and have either a nice 1 series coupe of some sort or even a near/new Fiesta ST, but I need to just buy what I can afford as money towards a house would be nice.

I keep looking back at FN2's but I do like boost for my driving style, having had an EP3 before I know it's all at the top, great engines though the K20's :) Yet to drive an FN2! Have to say my heart isn't truely fully into anything, so I don't think I will be happy any time soon. Don't mind chopping and changing if the losses are small.

Not today exactly, but yesterday I was driving the 530d without the kids in it and decided to have a little fun. Something I clearly don't do often enough.

Slipped the gearstick over, switched into sport mode, and used the flappy paddles for around 10 miles of back road.

I had forgotten just how enjoyable this car can be. Sure, it's not weapon fast, but it is pretty capable, even on RFT winters (continentals).

After this, I decided to completely reconsider changing cars again. I'll be keeping her a while longer.

Replaced the rear interior and boot lights with LEDs. Also bought a cheap red LED foglight bulb but it's not very bright so I won't be using it. Just got to go out there and install the LED sidelights now.

Back
Top Bottom