What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
imo you should give the calliper/carrier a good scrub with a wire brush where it contacts the pad, whenever you change the pads.

the number of times ive had to sort out brakes that "didnt work properly" simply because the pad is fused solid with the calliper and doesnt move due to build up of dust and rubbish

Soldato
The pad backing plates are usually sized nicely for the carrier but the coating/paint makes them too thick. So you need to force them in.

I always have to tweak pads to get the desired interface to the carrier..... ie movable! Ie i just file the edge to be clean and square that runs in the carrier stainless steel guides.

This is why I won't get garages to do brakes. My Insight just had its first brake change in my ownership due to a pad going to metal. Only one pad that was jammed solid in the carrier such that I guess it didnt back off at all and resulted in extra drag and wear.

I had to hammer it out :rolleyes:

Soldato
The pad backing plates are usually sized nicely for the carrier but the coating/paint makes them too thick. So you need to force them in.

I always have to tweak pads to get the desired interface to the carrier..... ie movable! Ie i just file the edge to be clean and square that runs in the carrier stainless steel guides.

This is why I won't get garages to do brakes. My Insight just had its first brake change in my ownership due to a pad going to metal. Only one pad that was jammed solid in the carrier such that I guess it didnt back off at all and resulted in extra drag and wear.

I had to hammer it out :rolleyes:

I find I need to clean the carrier itself up; ie remove it from the car completely and have at it with a wire brush attachment on a drill. Messy, but really helps. Never have an issue with pads fitting after that :)

Soldato
Went for a hoon and came back disappointed :( The turbo seems to have a mind of its own on my car. One minute theres boost, the next minute there's none!

Soldato
Went for a hoon and came back disappointed :( The turbo seems to have a mind of its own on my car. One minute theres boost, the next minute there's none!

Did the same and had the same issue!:mad: mines down to the garage that did some work showing there complete stupidity when it comes to vac lines.

my job for the weekend is go from the top pic to the bottom one

3E7rp2A.jpg

Should make the engine bay much less cluttered

Soldato
Did the same and had the same issue!:mad: mines down to the garage that did some work showing there complete stupidity when it comes to vac lines.

my job for the weekend is go from the top pic to the bottom one

3E7rp2A.jpg

Should make the engine bay much less cluttered

Have fun ;)

I've bought some vacuum line and a tyre valve, with the intention of making a tin can pressure tester, and hopefully finding some boost/vacuum leaks. I'm also getting rid of a diverter valve solenoid and all its associated guff.

The N249 solenoid is meant to act as a means to improve driveability and mpg, by releasing part throttle pressure back through the diverter. It can't be working very well, because it's making the boost control so naff, so instead of trying to fix the impossible, i'm getting rid of it altogether.

Hopefully it will make it feel more like a real turbocharged performance car, rather than a hairdressers car with some nice specs on a piece of paper!

Soldato
OP
This weekend promises to be fun, I'm rather liking my 600 so going to shower some love on it.

- Getting an 80k old rear suspension strut from the scrappy to see if it cures my twitchy rear end (oooer). If so, ordering 2 new rear shocks from BPB
- Fitting new front pads
- Doing a full service inc oil/filter/air filter/fuel filter
- Fitting new rear pads if Halfords have them (trade card!) and rebuilding rear calipers while I'm at it

Total cost of the above: about £40 (excl new shocks, which are £90 a pair if ordered) - Lindt luxury for penny-sweet prices :)

It feels so much nicer than any other 600 I've had. :o

Soldato
What cars that? Very few things more satisfying than simplifying stuff like that and making it work better

Mitsubishi GTO, though reducing the vac lines does have some tradeoffs. But its still far better than the damage potential of an 18yr old solenoid going wrong!

Have fun ;)

I've bought some vacuum line and a tyre valve, with the intention of making a tin can pressure tester, and hopefully finding some boost/vacuum leaks. I'm also getting rid of a diverter valve solenoid and all its associated guff.

The N249 solenoid is meant to act as a means to improve driveability and mpg, by releasing part throttle pressure back through the diverter. It can't be working very well, because it's making the boost control so naff, so instead of trying to fix the impossible, i'm getting rid of it altogether.

Hopefully it will make it feel more like a real turbocharged performance car, rather than a hairdressers car with some nice specs on a piece of paper!

The less items that can go wrong is always welcome, feel free to share your part list of the leak tester :) i'm planning to make one myself at some point to.

Soldato
Fitted a Mugen rear splitter to ym civic... Looks alright :)

nvyw69.jpg

Soldato
Cleaned the MAF the other night. It's improved the engine idle and the car feels a little more sprightly. Not bad for £4 on some electrical contact spray and 10 minutes work - I'm hoping that it might help improve the MPG a little, too.

Back
Top Bottom