What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Got it a little bit dirty

IMG_3786_zps8bb18597.jpg

IMG_3779_zps06e794da.jpg

Soldato
OP
Went to rebuild my driver's side front caliper as it felt a fair bit warmer than the passenger side...

Turns out someone hadn't bothered grinding the pads down to fit in the carrier properly - I had to use a 4LB lump hammer to get them out!

Braking is much better now :)

Caporegime
You have to grind pads down to make them fit Rovers? :p

No I think what he meant was the carriers (Or maybe just a rover thing?). Over time brake dust and crap builds up on the carriers causing the pads to stick. When ever I change brake bads I always give the carriers a quick once over with a wire brush where the pads go to make sure it is nice and smooth.

Soldato
First time in years ive had to use an ice scraper to get the windows clear, we had really thick ice over night.

Had to clear GF's car really early to take to tesco then i had to clear my own car because i had to take mine to work for a change.

Soldato
OP
You have to grind pads down to make them fit Rovers? :p
*facepalm*

Standard Longbridge working practice :D
*facepalm*

No I think what he meant was the carriers (Or maybe just a rover thing?). Over time brake dust and crap builds up on the carriers causing the pads to stick. When ever I change brake bads I always give the carriers a quick once over with a wire brush where the pads go to make sure it is nice and smooth.

This

You not come across this issue?

Any aftermarket pads need tweaking if you actually want the brakes to back off once you've use them.

And this

Soldato
Went to rebuild my driver's side front caliper as it felt a fair bit warmer than the passenger side...

Turns out someone hadn't bothered grinding the pads down to fit in the carrier properly - I had to use a 4LB lump hammer to get them out!

Braking is much better now :)

You cleared stated pads - Yes, I've come across situations where the carriers have needed a good clean up to allow the pads to move - however you stated "grinding the pads down", not "cleaning the carriers up", with a grinder or wire brush etc.

Nope, he clearly stated pads.

Any aftermarket pads need tweaking if you actually want the brakes to back off once you've use them.

Yes, I've come across this issue, however I've never grinded down brake pads, only needed to clean up carriers, never the pads themselves. Not a particularly good design if they need modifying to fit.

Soldato

Nope, can't say I have had any problems with any aftermarket brake pads I've fitted. Only cleaning crap out of the carriers like westy said.

*facepalm*

How about you have a facepalm, for not reading what you've written.

Back
Top Bottom