What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Think I've got a EGR gasket/cooler pipe leak on the truck :( **** EGRs people worry about the DPF on diesels but I've had way more EGR issues on my own vehicles and the fleet at work.

Man of Honour
Had the EGR replaced under warranty about 3 years ago - having a look into it now the EGR cooler pipe looks about 10 years older than the vehicle and installed without gaskets... for a VW commercial main dealer... wish I'd known about it back then...

Man of Honour
Meh was hoping it was simply a cooler pipe leak but doesn't seem to be just that - got it booked into a garage to have a look - none of the symptoms seem to nicely match one thing and beyond what I can simply diagnose without taking a lot of stuff apart - so maybe more than one thing failing or affected.

Soldato
Shelled out 70 notes for a new battery yesterday. Which wouldn't usually be annoying except for the fact that it's up for sale.
At least I can tell any potential new owner they wont have to worry about it for a while.

Soldato
Shelled out 70 notes for a new battery yesterday. Which wouldn't usually be annoying except for the fact that it's up for sale.
At least I can tell any potential new owner they wont have to worry about it for a while.
I've got a buyer waiting to come and look around my old car but I broke a coil spring the ONE time I used it since April. Have all the bits ready but haven't had time to do it for 2 weeks :(

Same deal though - at least I can tell him it's got 2 brand new springs!

Man of Honour
Now thinking it is an exhaust manifold leak rather than EGR :( difficult one to pin down without stripping the engine (though the EGR cooler pipe also needed some attention).

Getting a whine, almost a whistle but softer, under acceleration/de-acceleration which seems to peak at ~2K RPM, often almost but not quite gone away at highway speeds. Sluggish performance at low speeds and a whiff of exhaust at times i.e. if I get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle at 20-30MPH. Seems to lessen but not go away once the engine is warmed up which likely means metal expanding somewhere is partially closing up a leak possibly.

Or could be something else entirely.

Probably going to be an expensive bill.

Soldato
Bought a new (to me) car last week. Had a low battery warning when I first fired it up when taking it for a test drive but put it down to it being idle for a little while. It was fine after that and I drove 150 miles home no problem.

When I got home I put the battery on charge and it was apparently fully charged in about 4 hours. I had my doubts that a 2 and a half hour drive and 4 hours on a charger would fully charge a 92Ah battery but left it at that.

Didn’t even drive the car during the week but did update nav maps which involved having the car on with engine off for half hour or so. Soon after that I got the low battery warning again.

Fully charged it on Thursday then checked the voltage on Friday morning and it read 12.3v which tells me the battery is on its way out. Can’t be bothered to mess about with a failing battery so arranged for a new one to be mobile fitted by Halfords since it was a good price and I figured they’d take care of battery registration since I don’t have the means to do that. Anyway, the guy was here earlier and he swapped the battery out but told me they don’t usually bother with registration and that he didn’t have the diags tool to do it either. Brilliant.

Soldato
Ah I thought over time the car adjusted how it charges the battery. Still, main thing is it does now have a new battery so hopefully no more complaints.

Caporegime
Ah I thought over time the car adjusted how it charges the battery. Still, main thing is it does now have a new battery so hopefully no more complaints.
It does. New batteries have a diff charging profile to aged ones. Nothing to do with warranty

Permabanned
It does. New batteries have a diff charging profile to aged ones. Nothing to do with warranty.
I was told the BMS will self learn within a day or 2 when I was searching on the Polo forum. Seems it’s not quite as clear cut but neither would I be overly worried.

Most car manufacturers, as well as BMW, work with an open system, i.e. the independent aftermarket can install a suitable replacement battery without having to reprogram the vehicle electronics. However, manufacturers such as Audi use a closed system and assign so-called BEM codes for original batteries and original replacement batteries. The independent aftermarket is not able to provide this kind of code for replacement batteries!

PS: In Volkswagen Group repair workshops (Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW), calibration takes place via a guided function of the online diagnostic and information system (ODIS Offboard Diagnostic Information System). Data such as the BEM code, serial number and nominal capacity of the new original replacement battery are entered. In this way, the energy management system knows immediately that a new battery has been installed. The Volkswagen Group is currently able to enter any 10-digit serial number. The VW serial number is used for tracking the battery and for warranty purposes.

Ps if you have Carista you can register the battery yourself.

Soldato
I did some quick Google searching on Carista and it looks like it can do it for some cars but didn't find any mention of it with BMW. Fortunately I managed to get hold of a piece of software and have done it myself. Now to go back to Halfords and have a brief moan that I had to finish the job myself. If I'd known I'd end up messing around doing the battery registration myself I would've done the whole thing myself since that's the only part I wanted to avoid.

Still, at least I'm sorted if I ever need to do it again on either my car or my wife's.

Soldato
I did some quick Google searching on Carista and it looks like it can do it for some cars but didn't find any mention of it with BMW. Fortunately I managed to get hold of a piece of software and have done it myself. Now to go back to Halfords and have a brief moan that I had to finish the job myself. If I'd known I'd end up messing around doing the battery registration myself I would've done the whole thing myself since that's the only part I wanted to avoid.

Still, at least I'm sorted if I ever need to do it again on either my car or my wife's.

Halfords replaced my failing EFB Battery with an AGM Battery.

I did ask the question's about ensuring it is coded in correctly which he said it would be, he did plug an ODB device in and do some coding but when I asked if he could ensure the car battery type is changed from EFB to AGM he said he was unable to do that but they have "Similar" charging rates and would be fine which I accepted with the intention of having this double checked, seems poor really as most people will just take there word for it.

When my car was in with VW for something un-related they did perform a battery adaptation for me free of charge so I am much more at ease knowing everything is coded correctly.

Permabanned
Halfords replaced my failing EFB Battery with an AGM Battery.

I did ask the question's about ensuring it is coded in correctly which he said it would be, he did plug an ODB device in and do some coding but when I asked if he could ensure the car battery type is changed from EFB to AGM he said he was unable to do that but they have "Similar" charging rates and would be fine which I accepted with the intention of having this double checked, seems poor really as most people will just take there word for it.

When my car was in with VW for something un-related they did perform a battery adaptation for me free of charge so I am much more at ease knowing everything is coded correctly.
I don’t even think you can change the profile from EFB to AGM at least Carista didn’t give me the option. From memory you can enter the manufacturer and that was only 3 characters, the capacity and a s/no which is literally just for warranty purposes. Ideally you should be replacing like for like but the cars BMS should self learn in the same way the ECU does for fuel ect.

Back
Top Bottom