What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Car knows it's getting chopped in imminently, I only needed it to survive until March but I've started getting an intermittent pulsing/scraping sound from the brakes. At worst it's £400 for discs/pads fitted all round but I'd still rather not basically put a fresh set on for the dealer to flog it off with :o

Nothing noted in the service at the end of October, brakes got a clean bill of health all round. Might drop into the local Protyres after work and see if they can give it a quick look over and check there's not just a stone jammed somewhere it shouldn't be before I drop it at the proper garage.
Dude its almost march just ignore it :cry:

Soldato
A pipe going into the heater matrix decided it didn't want to hold water anymore and therefore burst, which was nice when it was -2 outside :mad:
Parts Plus didn't have one in stock, but managed to get one for the afternoon and was quickly replaced..

hxPqdBh.jpg

All warm and toasty again :D

Caporegime
Made and replaced all of the boost pipes, cleaned and oiled the air filter, replaced a breather hose, added a couple of little clips to hold on some vacuum lines better, adjusted the hood pins, lubricated the turbo wastegate actuator rod, ordered a reel of new vacuum line to redo the whole car to chase a slight boost issue (and just because I feel like it I guess)...

But most excitingly, got my JDM Jimny F6A SOHC rocker cover! The standard cover is just a basic stamped steel cake tin, but the Jimny one is cast aluminium with raised detail lines, and the lettering "TURBO" and "660" on it!

It is currently bathing in some Jizer to get the baked oil deposits out of it, after which it will get painted BMW Brillantrot, because I have some for obvious reasons, and the lettering sanded back and polished. :cool:

Before with random ill-fitting hoses and random non-barbed chrome pipe (looked like hacksawed up bar-stool legs...)

kGlREZth.jpg

After with new breather, cleaned filter, new boost hoses.

2xSbxiIh.jpg

The new rocker cover:

90OdhvZ.png

I did also do the thermostat and replace the incorrect pink coolant with the correct genuine Suzuki blue stuff, not sure if I mentioned but that was a bit ago now.

Next things are doing a wheel bearing, painting a bunch of brackets in the engine bay, and hopefully, I goddamn hope, finally getting to the bottom of the boost problem by doing the vac lines.

Last edited:
Associate
Had to replace the windscreen washer pump on my M240i. The headlight washers were still working and I could hear the pump trying to run so bought a new pump and filter.

Took 2 hours in all, with the driver’s side wheel and arch lining to take off, along with bits of trim under the bonnet. The water in the reservoir had nasty black floating filth in it, so after flushing that all out and cleaning the headlight washer pump filter, it all went together and now works fine. Quite why BMW chose to use so many size fixings for the arch liner, I don’t know!

Soldato
early december i was wheelspinning and i think i went over a pothole, the car drove but sounded like i had a flat tyre. got out took a look and no flats, drove home with the thumping sound like im on a flat tyre, noise coming from the passenger side front although when i took the wife in the car she had her window down and said it sounded like the noise was from the rear passenger side.
so got the front wheel off and took a look and nothing wrong, no wheel wobble no grinding noise so not a bearing, no play in cv joint or anything. not inspected rear yet since its been freezing but with weather getting better thats next on the diagnosis list. probably just put the spare on and try and eliminate the wheels.

Back
Top Bottom