What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Wideband in the Starlet is being silly, keeps reading lean/air all the time but I don't think it is actually running lean. Gonna whip the plugs out one lunchtime and have a look at them. Hope it isn't actually running lean, I've already melted a valve once due to clogged injector a few years ago :rolleyes:

And in what sounds like the saddest thing ever, mate got me some JIS screwdrivers as a secret santa for Christmas. Chuffed to bits, no longer will I round off screws.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wideband in the Starlet is being silly, keeps reading lean/air all the time but I don't think it is actually running lean. Gonna whip the plugs out one lunchtime and have a look at them. Hope it isn't actually running lean, I've already melted a valve once due to clogged injector a few years ago :rolleyes:

And in what sounds like the saddest thing ever, mate got me some JIS screwdrivers as a secret santa for Christmas. Chuffed to bits, no longer will I round off screws.

That’s 100% a failed sensor, you’ll probably find for a fraction of a second here and there it’ll read normally.

With the exception of some very very expensive stuff, nobody makes wideband controllers that control the heater they way it should be. Which ultimately leads to them having a crap lifespan

Soldato
That’s 100% a failed sensor, you’ll probably find for a fraction of a second here and there it’ll read normally.

With the exception of some very very expensive stuff, nobody makes wideband controllers that control the heater they way it should be. Which ultimately leads to them having a crap lifespan

That sounds exactly like what it's doing. On startup it'll be normal then increasingly go full rich then full lean.

I wouldn't mind but I've barely used the bloody thing since it was installed!

My kit is a PLX one, I had heard good stuff about it.

Man of Honour
That sounds exactly like what it's doing. On startup it'll be normal then increasingly go full rich then full lean.

I wouldn't mind but I've barely used the bloody thing since it was installed!

My kit is a PLX one, I had heard good stuff about it.

All the symptoms of a dead sensor. It's a bit of a multipart issue between, the way the controllers work and how they're installed.

When Bosch introduced the LSU4.9 to replace the LSU4.2 they drastically reduced the mass of the ceramic sensing element. Then between where the sensor is fitted in the exhaust (Angle, distance from the exhaust port etc) condensation forms inside the exhaust and collects inside the sensor. Most wideband controllers then hit the heater with far much initial duty which boils the condensation and cracks the ceramic element.

The simplest solution is to power the Wideband controller with a relay with an On delay to allow the EGTs to come up enough and to dry the sensor out before trying to heat the sensor

Soldato
All the symptoms of a dead sensor. It's a bit of a multipart issue between, the way the controllers work and how they're installed.

When Bosch introduced the LSU4.9 to replace the LSU4.2 they drastically reduced the mass of the ceramic sensing element. Then between where the sensor is fitted in the exhaust (Angle, distance from the exhaust port etc) condensation forms inside the exhaust and collects inside the sensor. Most wideband controllers then hit the heater with far much initial duty which boils the condensation and cracks the ceramic element.

The simplest solution is to power the Wideband controller with a relay with an On delay to allow the EGTs to come up enough and to dry the sensor out before trying to heat the sensor

Interesting. It's already powered by a relay on ignition so it should be a case of swapping it out. Thanks!

Soldato
Made an insurance claim :mad:

Turning left out of a T-junction, some **** in a queue coming the other way decides to skip a couple of cars so he could turn right into said junction. I have to brake suddenly, the guy behind me shunts straight into the back of me :(

Pulled over and exchanged details, photos etc. He mentioned it was a company car, so should be fairly simple..! Looked at the car in proper light, the rear bumper is creased, parking sensor popped out, scuffed and exhaust has a mark on it as well, although I think that's just in the carbon build up on it.

Not too stressed about it, it's more the hassle of getting it repaired, having a courtesy car etc etc. End of the day, it's only a car, I have insurance :) Side note, Tesco insurance was a doddle to claim through, took me ~20 mins online.

Caporegime
First run after engine rebuild on MGB with lightweight conrods, pistons, flywheel, upgraded oil pump, fast road HR270 camshaft, duplex vernier and a gas ported stage 2 Peter Burgess fast road head. Everything was balanced before reassembly. . Runs lovely. Strong oil pressure and perfect water temp.

Soldato
ECU remap on my Audi A1 S Line. The throttle response and acceleration is night and day difference to before. Getting the read windows tinted, lowered (on factory springs that make it sit too high imo) and upgraded exhaust system. Plan to keep it another few years before I get that V6/V8 I've always wanted.

Cobra exhaust system and Eibach lowering springs fitted. The sound is better than I expected, need to find a tunnel now haha. I'm surprised how the springs have made the ride more comfortable was expecting the opposite as the car is 20mm lower now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats the Cedric gone, on its way via Newcastle to Prague. Lovely two chaps arrived, likeminded into JDM stuff. A bit of hoohaa with Border Control but got there in the end, haha. Think the gate security were hitting them with their quota for the day.

All sorted and couldnt ask for a nicer chap. Now to decide on the next import

Soldato
Full set of silicone hoses for the ZT260 and the next tool in my upgrade!
A 400ah HO alternator in cheater blue :p
Just need it to stop raining/snowing now :/

20240210-124451.jpg

20240210-124509.jpg

Caporegime
New lower arms and CV boots and ARB bushings and whatnot on...

d4CWR0z.jpeg

p2VZfP9.jpeg

Replacement vac hoses between turbo and solenoid...

UNKStPu.jpeg

Now I just need to swap the front engine mount back, get the wheel bearing pressed in, put the knuckle back on, and do the thermostat...

Associate
Attempted and failed to remove the washer pump filter. My windscreen washer is barely reaching the windscreen. If you leave it for a few seconds, then try again, it is at full pressure for like 1 second, then it drops instantly.

Had a look around various Youtube videos and found plenty of videos showing the Mini hatch and Mini Countryman and they were all pointing the issue to be the filter getting clogged. Looks relatively easy enough. Remove the wheel, remove half of the wheel lining, and you will have access to the tank/pump. Remove the pump, then remove the rubber filter that remains. Clean it out, flush the tank and job's done, right? Nope! The Clubman seems to be the exception when it comes to the washer tank position. Rather than it being in front of the wheel, it's behind the front wheel. And there is no room to take it out. I think the only way to do this would be to remove the entire side panel. It was starting to get dark, and I don't want this to turn into a can of worms, so off to the dealers. :(

I thought it was weird that I couldn't find any how to's for the Clubman on this, but maybe that's why, no one has bothered due to the hassle. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Attempted and failed to remove the washer pump filter. My windscreen washer is barely reaching the windscreen. If you leave it for a few seconds, then try again, it is at full pressure for like 1 second, then it drops instantly.

Had a look around various Youtube videos and found plenty of videos showing the Mini hatch and Mini Countryman and they were all pointing the issue to be the filter getting clogged. Looks relatively easy enough. Remove the wheel, remove half of the wheel lining, and you will have access to the tank/pump. Remove the pump, then remove the rubber filter that remains. Clean it out, flush the tank and job's done, right? Nope! The Clubman seems to be the exception when it comes to the washer tank position. Rather than it being in front of the wheel, it's behind the front wheel. And there is no room to take it out. I think the only way to do this would be to remove the entire side panel. It was starting to get dark, and I don't want this to turn into a can of worms, so off to the dealers. :(

I thought it was weird that I couldn't find any how to's for the Clubman on this, but maybe that's why, no one has bothered due to the hassle. :p

Gotta love that maintenance friendly modern car design... :p

Soldato

Try boiling a full kettle with some lemon juice in it, pouring it straight into the reservoir, then running the washers. I did this with our car when the washer fluid got a bit gummed up and it seemed to help flush things through a bit.

Caporegime
Try boiling a full kettle with some lemon juice in it, pouring it straight into the reservoir, then running the washers. I did this with our car when the washer fluid got a bit gummed up and it seemed to help flush things through a bit.

Citation: Don't fill the kettle with lemon juice, fill it with water, and add lemon juice to the boiling water :p

Back
Top Bottom