• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

Soldato
DXR is software regardless of which vendor you buy. nVidia has dedicated compute units just for those calculations (RT cores), AMD does the calculations in the same pipeline as other calcs (from what I've seen) -- ie nVidia has units sat around doing nothing half the time, and it's not yet known what performance AMD's method brings -- considering both the PS5 and XSX are marketing ray tracing ability, one has to assume that AMD's method is reasonably viable.

As for working in Shadowlands (never even heard of it) or Cyberpunk -- if the game has ray tracing, then yes.

If nothing else, you have to hand it to nVidia's marketing team if they have people thinking that ray tracing is somehow an nVidia thing :D

Soldato
The 3000 series is overhyped.
Xbox Series X pricing confirmed $499
The 3080 with just 10GB of vram is now obsolete at that price point. You can buy a console and several games vs the cost of a 3080.

Soldato
The 3080 with just 10GB of vram is now obsolete at that price point. You can buy a console and several games vs the cost of a 3080.

While I can't argue with the hype; the sentiment of value is totally invalid. PC gaming has ALWAYS been more expensive than consoles.

Soldato
While I can't argue with the hype; the sentiment of value is totally invalid. PC gaming has ALWAYS been more expensive than consoles.
The status quo is exactly why the console market is much larger then the PC. And it doesn't change the fact that $499+ a few games is a much better value then a 3080.

So why buy a 3080? Because it will always cost more? You are actually arguing against Ampere. :D

Soldato
The status quo is exactly why the console market is much larger then the PC. And it doesn't change the fact that $499+ a few games is a much better value then a 3080.

So why buy a 3080? Because it will always cost more? You are actually arguing against Ampere. :D

You miss my point.. You could pretty much always buy a console and many games for the same price as a gaming PC... we don't play on PC because we're penny pinchers, we play on PC because we want the best experience. The 3080 or the PS5/XSX don't change anything.

Soldato
I play on PC because it suits me, not for any PCMR nonsense :p

That's a misinterpretation of my point.. I possibly worded it wrong.

I play on PC because I can play 4k120 HDR if I choose, or 3440x1440 Ultrawide, or 240hz. I can crank the settings way up, turn settings down, use whatever peripheral I feel like.. I can choose whatever gives ME the best experience - and we pay for that.

Soldato
That's a misinterpretation of my point.. I possibly worded it wrong.

I play on PC because I can play 4k120 HDR if I choose, or 3440x1440 Ultrawide, or 240hz. I can crank the settings way up, turn settings down, use whatever peripheral I feel like.. I can choose whatever gives ME the best experience - and we pay for that.
I am not trying to be mean here.
However, the only point you are making is defending Nvidia. And people see it.

Associate
more comparable to a 3060 not a 3080, and don't forget the online fee :D we've always paid more for higher res/FPS/settings than console

also first person and many third person games on console are a no go for me since I don't find having the controller aim for me fun

Soldato
more comparable to a 3060 not a 3080, and don't forget the online fee :D we've always paid more for higher res/FPS/settings than console

also first person and many third person games on console are a no go for me since I don't find having the controller aim for me fun
Didn't you know? This new gen of consoles support keyboard and mouse natively now. No more xim apex, cronus, etc.:D

Last edited:
Soldato
That's because they are PC's! It is kinda hilarious that they still call them consoles. 'the fastest console ever' no ****, technology doesn't go backwards
Well, for what ever reason they put an artificial limit on mouse movement that took those devices to correct. Basically forcing you to use a controller. They've since changed there stance on that.

Soldato
Soldato
Apples and oranges, unless you can achieve the same precision with a gamepad that you can with a mouse and keyboard (most can't).

Overpaying for products, no thx Jeff
The high-end Xbox Series X will cost $499 while the entry-level Xbox Series S will cost $299. Microsoft will also offer a financing plan that allows customers to pay for either console over 24 months.The Xbox Series S costs $24.99 per month on that plan while the Xbox Series X will cost $34.99 per month.

Microsoft said the financing plans also include access to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play, which allows you to download or stream more than 100 games to Xbox or PC. It will also include Microsoft's new mobile streaming services that let you stream from the cloud to an Android phone. You'll have to buy a Game Pass subscription plan separately, which starts at $9.99 per month, if you don't finance.

It might not be a true death knoll to Ampere but it sure will disrupt Ampere on the lower end. Anyone interested in a 3060 (and lower)/3070 and even a 3080 sku are going to really consider a console at just $35 a month (you can pay more if you want) interest free. It's like an IOU with no penalty/interest free for 24 months!! Console will eat Nvidia's lunch at the lower end. That's for sure.

So lets see here...Xbox Series X and Cyberpunk 2077 for a grand total of $35+$70 = $105 for that month.
And $35 for the remaining 23 months.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Overpaying for products, no thx Jeff

Its not. Not if you were going to pay for the monthly game pass. Total cost over 24 months is actually £10 less than the cost of the console plus 24 months subs.

ANd the monthly pass is unlimited games. Seems like a great deal to me.

Soldato
Its not. Not if you were going to pay for the monthly game pass. Total cost over 24 months is actually £10 less than the cost of the console plus 24 months subs.

ANd the monthly pass is unlimited games. Seems like a great deal to me.
You taking into account price reductions over 24 months?

Back
Top Bottom