• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

Soldato
If SLI was widely supported in game, right now would be a fantastic time to buy two 2080tis and SLI them for better than 3090 performance at half the price

Associate
That rather depends if they have have any graphics card to play one. Some would have sold their only card now ready for a new card in 2 weeks time...
I was in the fortunate(?) position of having to return my 2080Ti and rather than than be given a replacement, I was given a refund instead. Odd choice, but I took it, knowing the 3000 were on the horizon. The past few months have been hard going, running a (spare) 970 firstly at 1440p (which despite what everyone else seems to say really didn't perform that well even when locked at 60) and then having to knock it all back down to 1080p and all the fun that a non native resolution brings. But - at least I had that spare card to be able to still game. I think if things had been different though and I didn't have a spare, I'd have still tried to sell the 2080Ti on ready for the new cards - though it certainly wouldn't have been months of waiting at that point.

Caporegime
If SLI was widely supported in game, right now would be a fantastic time to buy two 2080tis and SLI them for better than 3090 performance at half the price

When SLI works its amazing. Up to 90% scaling with witcher 3 so on 4k ultra you get 122 fps. Even Doom eternal gives you 160fps on ultra. Rise of the tome raider was 95% scaling and ran 175fps on ultra settings with a minimum framerate of 99fps.

If SLI worked in the majority of games I wouldnt even be looking to upgrade as when working, two 2080 in SLI out performs a 3090.

Associate

If SLI was supported properly I wouldn't even be looking to upgrade over my two 2080 Ti's as both when running at almost perfect scaling is really great. ROTTR at 4K ultra with ray tracing on is able to hit 60fps+ without DLSS on.

Sucks that developers don't support it properly. If Nvidia didn't drop it on lower/midrange cards and AMD kept it, it would probably be much better supported.

Soldato
I hope people like JayZ2Cents take their share in responsibility for that ticking bomb given that they have been telling their audience to do exactly this.

I think the issue there is that when he said that, the prices of the 3080 'frinstance was not known and he, like everyone else, assumed they'd be on a par with past pricing, Y'know, ripoff, not as low as it turned out to be, hence depressing the value of s/h cards like the 2080ti to such low levels. You've got to admit these prices have surprised everyone being so low.

Associate
I think the issue there is that when he said that, the prices of the 3080 'frinstance was not known and he, like everyone else, assumed they'd be on a par with past pricing, Y'know, ripoff, not as low as it turned out to be, hence depressing the value of s/h cards like the 2080ti to such low levels. You've got to admit these prices have surprised everyone being so low.

Not being funny but at what level are you surprised about the (Low) price? There's nothing spectacular about it, yes the 2080ti was overpriced not normal at all that's because AMD wasn't in the game, the 1080ti I purchased was £800 there was much cheaper alternatives at £600 so I fail to see why people seem to think they are so cheap, they are cheap because the 2080ti was a complete rip off no two ways about it, they've now been brought down to what the 10 series launch prices were only because of AMD not because Nvidia feels like doing anyone a favour lol.

Associate
I was in the fortunate(?) position of having to return my 2080Ti and rather than than be given a replacement, I was given a refund instead. Odd choice, but I took it, knowing the 3000 were on the horizon. The past few months have been hard going, running a (spare) 970 firstly at 1440p (which despite what everyone else seems to say really didn't perform that well even when locked at 60) and then having to knock it all back down to 1080p and all the fun that a non native resolution brings. But - at least I had that spare card to be able to still game. I think if things had been different though and I didn't have a spare, I'd have still tried to sell the 2080Ti on ready for the new cards - though it certainly wouldn't have been months of waiting at that point.

I know where you are coming from. Due to young kids I don’t get much free time after work and family time. My only vice and escapism is my pc so I don’t really consider it losing money buying high tech stuff.

Associate

Surprised everyone, sure. But lets not forget we have to pay £650+ (with almost inevitable stock issues) to play 4k games on the PC. Assuming you don't nab a second hand 2080ti before they go up in price once the limitations of the 3070 are revealed next month. I don't believe for a second the 3070 can compete with the 2080ti, the 8gb vram alone is a drawback especially for next gen games.

Associate
I actually believe there will be a long shortage even my non up to date tech friends have seen all the hype for the 3080 and some are determined to get one or a 3070. These ppl play on 1080 24 inch monitors decades old. They rarely upgrade but the internet hype is real

Associate

Don't forget the amount of power that would draw, the noise, and compatibility issues. Plus as mentioned, some games don't have support.

Soldato
Not being funny but at what level are you surprised about the (Low) price? There's nothing spectacular about it, yes the 2080ti was overpriced not normal at all that's because AMD wasn't in the game, the 1080ti I purchased was £800 there was much cheaper alternatives at £600 so I fail to see why people seem to think they are so cheap, they are cheap because the 2080ti was a complete rip off no two ways about it, they've now been brought down to what the 10 series launch prices were only because of AMD not because Nvidia feels like doing anyone a favour lol.

Its not a case of normal or not, its a case of people's expectations of what price they would have thought they would have to have paid for the next gen gpus. I'll bet most folks hear and online reviewers were expecting around £200-£250 more per card, they must have due to the reaction to the prices quoted by Nvidia. And I wholeheartedly agree the 2080ti was vastly overpriced.

Soldato
Surprised everyone, sure. But lets not forget we have to pay £650+ (with almost inevitable stock issues) to play 4k games on the PC. Assuming you don't nab a second hand 2080ti before they go up in price once the limitations of the 3070 are revealed next month. I don't believe for a second the 3070 can compete with the 2080ti, the 8gb vram alone is a drawback especially for next gen games.

Well thats speculation at best, no-one knows how well these gpus will perform until the likes of HU and GN amongst others, get their hands on them and give them a thorough testing. Plus, no-one at this stage knows for sure how the RX6900xt (or whatever its called) shows up and that gets reviewed as well.

Associate
Its not a case of normal or not, its a case of people's expectations of what price they would have thought they would have to have paid for the next gen gpus. I'll bet most folks hear and online reviewers were expecting around £200-£250 more per card, they must have due to the reaction to the prices quoted by Nvidia. And I wholeheartedly agree the 2080ti was vastly overpriced.

That is true I agree that consumers expect a level of performance to price ratio also, I do believe there will be a lot in the camp of knowing it was going to be cheaper simply because of Amd's upcoming big Navi or whatever it's called lol, Nvidia would be stupid to price the same as the 2080ti and they knew that that's why these are seen as cheaper to peoples eyes when in reality they are not.

What's interesting is this Steam survey of people not interested in it is worrying for Nvidia imo, of course you expect the high interest in a store forum like this but it doesn't look like the bigger picture to me if this is anything to go by.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....uld-struggle-to-get-people-to-buy-an-rtx-3080

Associate
That is true I agree that consumers expect a level of performance to price ratio also, I do believe there will be a lot in the camp of knowing it was going to be cheaper simply because of Amd's upcoming big Navi or whatever it's called lol, Nvidia would be stupid to price the same as the 2080ti and they knew that that's why these are seen as cheaper to peoples eyes when in reality they are not.

What's interesting is this Steam survey of people not interested in it is worrying for Nvidia imo, of course you expect the high interest in a store forum like this but it doesn't look like the bigger picture to me if this is anything to go by.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....uld-struggle-to-get-people-to-buy-an-rtx-3080

Yeah but Steam is massive and it includes many gamers who play low resource games or only one game predominantly. If the Steam survey was accurate about everything there would be no demand for 49 inch samsung G9 Monitors etc etc. We know those are sold out.

We live in different times as well. Many ppl still working from home. Some people are still furloughed. Some have made quite a lot of cash from lockdown through various means - stocks / fraud.

I know 2 tradesmen self employed who took the government grants and still worked through the whole covid.

Some people have excess cash whilst others have lost jobs

Associate
Yeah but Steam is massive and it includes many gamers who play low resource games or only one game predominantly. If the Steam survey was accurate about everything there would be no demand for 49 inch samsung G9 Monitors etc etc. We know those are sold out.

We live in different times as well. Many ppl still working from home. Some people are still furloughed. Some have made quite a lot of cash from lockdown through various means - stocks / fraud.

I know 2 tradesmen self employed who took the government grants and still worked through the whole covid.

Some people have excess cash whilst others have lost jobs

That's true there are a lot of people on Steam who shall we say wait for 2-3 yr old releases on the cheap hence don't need this sort of upcoming hardware not to mention the price.

I'm still on furlough myself since march I think pulling my hair out, (well what's left of it) lol.

Time will tell I think but looking at the Chinese miners already having boat loads of them and considering they are manufactured there wouldn't surprise if there's very little for whoever wants one on launch day, I think people might be in for a long wait.

Permabanned

and these people will be caught ..they have took on and extra 3k in my area to find and catch them .. got offered a job myself .. good money but couldn't do office work ..

Associate

If it's not nvidia it will be AMD. Options, options ...

Permabanned
Well thats speculation at best, no-one knows how well these gpus will perform until the likes of HU and GN amongst others, get their hands on them and give them a thorough testing. Plus, no-one at this stage knows for sure how the RX6900xt (or whatever its called) shows up and that gets reviewed as well.
I'm on market for Raytracing card and not been much from AMD on that. I dont care much about fps id rather play 30 RT than 60 no rt as 30 does it for me. Finished dn3d back in a day at 8-10fps. No fps Use more imagination ;)

Soldato
I'm on market for Raytracing card and not been much from AMD on that. I dont care much about fps id rather play 30 RT than 60 no rt as 30 does it for me. Finished dn3d back in a day at 8-10fps. No fps Use more imagination ;)

What? It's been known for quite some time (and confirmed by AMD I believe?) that big Navi will support DXR

Back
Top Bottom