• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

Soldato
Some of us don't care that much? I'm in the camp of I need more power and it WILL be faster.

As black and white as that.

Soldato
Either way, buying right now is a a huge mistake.

I think the new 3000 series will be much faster on Raytracing but I still think the 2080ti is still going to be quite decent in none RT gaming.

Of course it's decent. The question is whether they're a good value at the prices that they're currently going for.

Soldato
Wait for reviews then? They are opening themselves up to numerous breaches of consumer protection and false advertising laws if they are lying.

Soldato
2080ti might be slowly slower than 3070 imo but obviously the 3070 has less ram. If you paid £500 now for a 2080ti or £500 for a 3070 down the road will more than likely be same performance mitigating a few frames here and then so either option is a good one.

Soldato
There's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvjg6Cf7grg&ab_channel=DEEBATCH

Its' a doom benchmark test between the 3080 and the 2080ti and the 3080 is beating it by at least 40% - you have them shouting this from the rooftops. Yes they could have cherry picked this but like I say they're shouting this from the rooftops!

Nvidia gimping the 2080ti in that test.

Try this, now the hot 3080 is only winning by 10%.

his is why you should not buy into Nvidia's numbers, wait for real tests because a very simply overclock on air that raises the 2080ti's TDP to the same TDP as the 3080 makes a 2080ti run up to 30% faster than the gimped stock numbers nvidia is using in this game

Last edited:
Associate
It looks like 3070 will be more or less equal to 2080Ti (marginally better according to nvidia's talk but not their graph). It is not clear whether that is only with ray tracing on.

That does, as Vegeta says, put both of them at around the same value. 11GB mem and no/1st gen ray tracing or 8GB and better ray racing?

On a certain auction site, it looks like 2080Ti's are being hoovered up between sub £500 and £550 today. Unknown availability and final price for 3000's, yep I think that's about right. Somebody sold for £375 which was a bit chicken.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia gimping the 2080ti in that test.

Try this, now its only winning by 10%. This is why you should not buy into Nvidia's numbers, wait for real tests because a very simply overclock on air makes a 2080ti run up to 30% faster than the gimped stock numbers nvidia is using in this game

That's an overclock , how about a 3080 overclock? 'Cos now you're gimping a 3080 ,it says 3080 stock so you overclock the 3080 and then it jumps ahead again doesn't it over and above the overclocked 2080ti .

This is comparing stock with stock, why would nvidia then overclock the 2080ti if they're comparing it against the stock 3080? Really you think they're playing this sort of game by allowing their own benchmark test to gimp the 3080 cos that's what it would actually be.

If they're comparing it's stock vs stock or overclocked vs overclocked isn't it otherwise you don't the cards aren't properly represented.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's an overclock , how about a 3080 overclock? 'Cos now you're gimping a 3080 ,it says 3080 stock so you overclock the 3080 and then it jumps ahead again doesn't it over and above the 2080ti .

So what's so wrong about stock versus stock. They could overclock the 3080 but they didn't so therefore they compare it to a stock 2080ti.

Crazy.

People do this every gen for some reason.

Soldato
That's an overclock , how about a 3080 overclock? 'Cos now you're gimping a 3080 ,it says 3080 stock so you overclock the 3080 and then it jumps ahead again doesn't it over and above the overclocked 2080ti .

This is comparing stock with stock, why would nvidia then overclock the 2080ti if they're comparing it against the stock 3080? Really you think they're playing this sort of game by allowing their own benchmark test to gimp the 3080 cos that's what it would actually be.

If they're comparing it's stock vs stock or overclocked vs overclocked isn't it otherwise you don't the cards aren't properly represented.

how you gonna oc the 3080 that Nvidia admitted hits 80c out of the box

Soldato
I keep thinking about picking up a 2080ti for the crazy cheap prices they're going for now.

Do we really trust Nvidia with the quoted performance figures?

What if the 3070 falls significantly short of the 2080ti?

I'm just wondering If I should hedge my bets and pick up a 2080 while they're cheap.

I know nobody 100% knows the answer this is just a discussion post. :)
Nvidia really does have so many people right where they want them ;)

They got so so many people now thinking a 70 series for £470 is really cheap :D:D:D:D:D
And people now think £500+ for a last gen 2 year old second hand GPU is a crazy bargain price :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Soldato
how you gonna oc the 3080 that Nvidia admitted hits 80c out of the box

Well its not representive, they'll be cards out that will overclock I'm sure. It'll be great! Let's be positive

The stock 2080ti hits 80 too on probably most so the same isn't it. Why do you have such a downer trying to find fault in areas where there isn't?

Last edited:
Soldato
It really doesn't matter if it is over hyped, where else are loyal buyers going to go? I actually hope it matches expectations or those 2080Ti owners will be feeling bad. That would also mean that big Navi should be decent as Nvidia are obviously expecting something competitive.

Associate
Well from the hype on youtube and some of the benchmarks leaked I am sure the hype is real with all the extra power it is requiring to get there...but then since AMD hasnt released anything i am just wondering how long the hype will live up for??

Associate
What about rasterisation perf difference? That's still more relevant...

That's because there isn't any or hardly any, do some research on Google this is what Nvidia isn't telling people. All they are talking about is cuda cores and RT cores, rops are very important for raw rasterization performance and from what I've researched that area has been left so to speak which is why I'm not pre ordering now until I see real benchmarks on the 27th and not benchmarks fudged by Nvidia.

Associate
Nvidia really does have so many people right where they want them ;)

They got so so many people now thinking a 70 series for £470 is really cheap :D:D:D:D:D
And people now think £500+ for a last gen 2 year old second hand GPU is a crazy bargain price :D:D:D:D:D

Couldn't have put this better myself, this is all they've done for the past 2 years, a 2080ti at a price it should have been, and if it wasn't for AMD back in the market there wouldn't be another GPU or price drop for a 2 year old GPU this is effectively what it is, just been checking my 1080ti rops which has 88 according to gpuz, according to the 3080 spec it has 80 rops lol, have they actually reduced rasterization performance over a 1080ti? But Nvidia like to keep these special numbers away from people who think they know what they're talking about.

One thing is for sure the 17th will be interesting, the only reviews I'll be looking for is apples to apples in comparison to rasterized games.

Soldato
People do this every gen for some reason.

They can't get their head around the fact a X70 card matches the previous x80ti for less than half the price. They can't understand the concept of EOL and that Nvidia will assist the retailers to shift the old stock.

In this thread, some are now convincing themselves that Nvidia are telling outright lies... Like we wouldn't know when we actually get our hands on the cards. :p

Back
Top Bottom