• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

Associate
In this thread, some are now convincing themselves that Nvidia are telling outright lies... Like we wouldn't know when we actually get our hands on the cards. :p
Strange comment for you to now make considering your response to my question for those that think Nvidia are lying about the performance.

Associate
They can't get their head around the fact a X70 card matches the previous x80ti for less than half the price. They can't understand the concept of EOL and that Nvidia will assist the retailers to shift the old stock.

In this thread, some are now convincing themselves that Nvidia are telling outright lies... Like we wouldn't know when we actually get our hands on the cards. :p

Not being funny but Nvidia never tell lies? LOL

Soldato
They can't get their head around the fact a X70 card matches the previous x80ti for less than half the price. They can't understand the concept of EOL and that Nvidia will assist the retailers to shift the old stock.

Next gen will be even more hilarious for 3090 owners - MCM Hopper architecture will result in another double or maybe triple of Ampere performance.

as for the lies thing that's simply because Nvidia has a history of it. Nvidia misrepresented Turings performance when it was announced so they have probably done the same for Ampere

Soldato
Strange comment for you to now make considering your response to my question for those that think Nvidia are lying about the performance.

I had to check back there; I said the same thing I said recently: the 2080ti is EOL and Nvidia don't care how the new gen affects it's sales, and they definitely don't care how it affects second hand sales.

Because it's EOL and they couldn't give a rat's **** what the second hand prices are.

Associate
Next gen will be even more hilarious for 3090 owners - MCM Hopper architecture will result in another double or maybe triple of Ampere performance.

as for the lies thing that's simply because Nvidia has a history of it. Nvidia misrepresented Turings performance when it was announced so they have probably done the same for Ampere

You can bet your bottom dollar they've done the same.

The vid I watched yesterday comparing the performance of the 2080ti to the 3080, this guy has ran doom eternal and it's about the same as a 3080 with his clocked up 2080ti.

While it's progress being the fact it's half the price and so it should be 2 years down the line the performance increase over 2 years is not what they are making out or should be.

Make of that what you want but the fact is this isn't progress for 2 years development.

I'm now waiting and not purchasing to see what happens next year.

Was hyped for the 3080 but it's already not sounding like the red rose tinted glasses Nvidia wants everyone to think.

https://youtu.be/AaV0RVqz-Pk

Soldato

Next gen is always a risk, if you looked at it that way then surely you'd never buy a new card?

The difference with Turing was that it offered next to nothing above the previous gen and it was double the price for the privilege.

I'm not concerned about performance uplift with Ampere, it's clearly better. I'm not concerned about price because again, it's clearly better. The only concern I have is heat because anyone can see they've pushed it to the max.

Soldato
I keep thinking about picking up a 2080ti for the crazy cheap prices they're going for now.

Do we really trust Nvidia with the quoted performance figures?

What if the 3070 falls significantly short of the 2080ti?

I'm just wondering If I should hedge my bets and pick up a 2080 while they're cheap.

I know nobody 100% knows the answer this is just a discussion post. :)

If this concerns you don't pre-order wait for the facts, if you pre-order you accept the risks you don't get to have it both ways because its engineered that way.

Associate
I had to check back there; I said the same thing I said recently: the 2080ti is EOL and Nvidia don't care how the new gen affects it's sales, and they definitely don't care how it affects second hand sales.
I asked why would nvidia lie about performance vs the 2080ti when they would get found out in 2 weeks time and that was your response.
You then came out with this masterstroke which is essentially the same thing.

Soldato

The vid I watched yesterday comparing the performance of the 2080ti to the 3080, this guy has ran doom eternal and it's about the same as a 3080 with his clocked up 2080ti.

While it's progress being the fact it's half the price and so it should be 2 years down the line the performance increase over 2 years is not what they are making out or should be.

Make of that what you want but the fact is this isn't progress for 2 years development.

Was hyped for the 3080 but it's already not sounding like the red rose tinted glasses Nvidia wants everyone to think.

I know, this straight put me off the 3080.

the 2080ti was never matched or beaten by an overclocked 1080ti but the 3080 is matched and in some parts of that game beaten with an overclocked 2080ti.

Yet Nvidia tries to claim massive improvements in ipc, core counts, bandwidth and performance/watt yet none of that seems to matter because Ampere doesn't scale that well in games.

Last edited:
Soldato

If you can afford a 3090 then buying one now and having it destroyed in 2 years is to be expected and will give you top tier gaming for about £60pm.

Factor in selling it a bit early to recoup a good portion and you're all good.

As I always said, as long as the 80 series and below are sensibly priced I don't have an issue what nvidia can get away with milking the top end buyer market

Associate
I'll be waiting for full reviews and not fully believing Nvidia or any positive messages from anyone who would financially benefit from a sale.

I havent forgotten about space invaders or the 970 dramas so I want to make sure I'm getting good value for money.

Associate

whats a power modded 2080ti?Is it just an overclock?
also lol cracked Codex version of Doom FTW :D

Associate

the 2080ti was never matched or beaten by an overclocked 1080ti but the 3080 is matched and in some parts of that game beaten with an overclocked 2080ti.

Yet Nvidia tries to claim massive improvements in ipc, core counts, bandwidth and performance/watt yet none of that seems to matter because Ampere doesn't scale that well in games.

Yep I can't believe what I'm seeing in his videos and to be fair he's correct, anyone with half a brain couldn't give a **** about RT performance it's rasterization what's important for now and basically they haven't improved anything because they are at their limits.

Another previous video too makes sense, he's getting higher FPS with his 2080ti on shadow of the tomb raider compared to the 3080s digital foundry video where they are trying to hide the FPS counter with Nvidias logo haha, it will all unfold on the 17th when real benchmarks with real games are tested not cherry picked RT games Nvidia wants digital foundry to use lol.

Associate
Yep I can't believe what I'm seeing in his videos and to be fair he's correct, anyone with half a brain couldn't give a **** about RT performance it's rasterization what's important for now and basically they haven't improved anything because they are at their limits.

Another previous video too makes sense, he's getting higher FPS with his 2080ti on shadow of the tomb raider compared to the 3080s digital foundry video where they are trying to hide the FPS counter with Nvidias logo haha, it will all unfold on the 17th when real benchmarks with real games are tested not cherry picked RT games Nvidia wants digital foundry to use lol.

RT is limited for s few selected games.
99.9999% of games simply put has no rt nor dlss.

and

Nvidia never lies they just believe everything they say

Soldato

Wow

Associate
RT is limited for s few selected games.
99.9999% of games simply put has no rt nor dlss.

and

Nvidia never lies they just believe everything they say

Exactly and that's why I'm not getting it now, couldn't care less about RT, dlss maybe but even then it has to be supported like RT so for the foreseeable future I'll stick with the 1080ti. Nvidia is a business like any other, I don't believe any marketing crap, I make my own judgement.

Associate
I think it will live up to the hype (although we know results vary from game to game)

I think the negative reactions are coming from people who are putting others buyers off, so they can be first to get the cards ;)

Back
Top Bottom