• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

Soldato
For example Nvidia marketing made sure they tested Turing against Pascal with HDR enabled in their slides. This was because Pascal had an HDR performance bug which reduced performance.

Also HUB told its viewers to not take on any marketing bumpf,and read many reviews when the GPUs arrive.

A simple case of waiting for reviews,and not trusting company mandated previews is logical.

Maybe the DF figures are correct,maybe they are not? The only thing you can take away is the new GPU is faster than the older one. That's it.

I wonder how many here,would be having a go at Intel and its "performance testing" and "performance previews" it did. I bet most of you wouldn't trust any of it either.

Edit!!

Anyone remember the Fury X slides - they didn't match reality too. AMD had to measure test sequences too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if the review embargo (assuming there is one? or are they just not sending review cards out?) ends before launch ?

The release date is the 17th for the RTX3080 and the 24th for the RTX3090. I have head the 14th being bandied about as a review date too. Not that long to wait.

Edit!!

Also AMD might try previewing their GPUs too,I wouldn't trust that either until the reviews are out either.

Last edited:
Soldato
We all know Nvidia has room for an RTX3080TI 11GB/12GB. The gap between the RTX3080 and RTX3090 is 17% in cores. Nvidia is holding back in case AMD can pip the RTX3080,and they can drop the RTX3080TI to beat it.

If say 80CU Big Navi is close to an RTX3080,but has more VRAM,wait for models released with 16GB and 20GB of VRAM to be released.

Soldato
Surely that's what reviews are for? Surely only an idiot would spend hundreds of pounds without seeing a review?

I wouldn't even spend £50 on an electrinic device without reading a review.

This distance selling regulation is excellent for buying cloths etc because you cant possibly know without trying them on. But a GPU? This law encourages people to behave like impatient spoilt children in my opinion.

You're assuming that your personal view should be everyone's view, and you're projecting personal abuse towards those who don't concur.

I don't need a review site to influence my judgement; I have my own requirements to satisfy, no one else's. I'll experience the product first hand and if it doesn't meet my expectations then I'll return it, which is my right.

Soldato
You're assuming that your personal view should be everyone's view, and you're projecting personal abuse towards those who don't concur.

I don't need a review site to influence my judgement; I have my own requirements to satisfy, no one else's. I'll experience the product first hand and it doesn't meet my expectations then I'll return it, which is my right.
So how do you get those performance figures? You read independent review websites.

Reading companies own figures won't give you any real information - Nvidia used HDR to make Turing look much more performant than it was over Pascal and AMD marketing had the Fury X matching a GTX980TI.

If Nvidia and AMD released no performance figures would anyone pre-order a GPU?? I doubt it.

This is what all these performance previews do - build hype for pre-orders/first day orders which usually appear before reviews.

Soldato
These 3000 series don't feel overhyped, it's different this time around, it's going to be really good

I think they will be,but I would still see how reviews go anyway. It wouldn't be surprised if the reviews land before official availability,so not sure why trusting previews/manufacter numbers is really required. The RTX3080 is the 17th,the RTX3090 the 24th and the RTX3070 is next month.

Heck,even what AIB models are the best,and whether the FE is actually any good. That is what reviews tell you too - things such as cooling,noise,etc.

Edit!!

Asus on their cards,have a circuit which monitors power inputs:
https://youtu.be/zE20TsGaB_I?t=1382

So it will tell you if the PSU,is having any problems powering the GPU,by changing the LED power on the connector.

Associate
I am curious, what happens if it's true that 3070ti with 16gb is a thing and it comes out months later at a similar price?

According to some YouTubers and a certain Lenovo website with the specs already that has now been taken down I'd say it's a certainty lol.

I've decided I'm waiting for the 3080ti, don't mind paying a bit more as long as it has more ram, 16gb hopefully.

Soldato
According to some YouTubers and a certain Lenovo website with the specs already that has now been taken down I'd say it's a certainty lol.

I've decided I'm waiting for the 3080ti, don't mind paying a bit more as long as it has more ram, 16gb hopefully.

I think it will be a 11GB/12GB version of the RTX3090,probably with the same performance. There is a huge gap between the RTX3080 and RTX3090.

Associate
I think it will be a 11GB/12GB version of the RTX3090,probably with the same performance. There is a huge gap between the RTX3080 and RTX3090.

Yes there is but not that much if you look at the cuda cores, depends what else is going on there as well though.

Ideally I'm hoping for around £800 for the 3080ti depends how good the volume is with the current 30x series is my bet but hopefully around that ballpark by march next year.

Soldato
Yes there is but not that much if you look at the cuda cores, depends what else is going on there as well though.

Ideally I'm hoping for around £800 for the 3080ti depends how good the volume is with the current 30x series is my bet but hopefully around that ballpark by march next year.

Its around 17% difference,but if you look at the 80TI against the Titan its usually around 5~6% difference.

Last edited:
Associate
Its around 17% difference,but if you look at the 80TI against the Titan its usually around 5~6% difference.

Yeah imo the ti is always the better choice, the fact it's usually released not long after but with better specs and hopefully some price wars going to drive the price down depending on what AMD bring to the table soon so I'm not rushing in this time.

Last edited:
Associate
I was a little hyped until I saw the 10gb vram and that my 2080ti plummeted in value thanks to the 3070 they are releasing. Bucket of cold water was thrown pretty quickly.

There doesn't seem to be a good upgrade path for 2080ti owners (yet), I feel like nvidia have shafted me twice, firstly charging over a grand to play 4k games (I knew what I was getting into) and secondly causing my high value enthusiast card to drop in value like a stone (again I was aware that was possible, but not less than two years in).

But I have enjoyed two years of awesome 4k gaming, and will continue to do so in some fashion. And with a more reasonably priced road into 4k gaming, more people can enjoy it which can't be a bad thing. Maybe gamers can finally help me with some of the problems I've been having, like why my gpu load/temps go nuts in the Fallout 4 trading menus (no kidding, the part of the game you'd think was the least demanding, makes my 2080ti hit 84c)

Associate
The Nvidia test are 4k.
If you play at 4k you get an idea what to expect.

But and its a big butt

1080p and 1440p usually isn't mention and showcased as the difference wont be the same
That alongside games optimized by nvidia again showcase very best case scenario.

Its why you want to wait for all cards on the table and reviews from various testers that isn't paid by the manufacturer.
AMD is about to unleash Big Dog Navi also soon.

Back
Top Bottom