What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you?

Soldato
Sleep paralysis. There was a Nazi officer stood next to the bed, and I remember doing everything in my power to wake my wife up so she'd wake me up properly and snap me out of it. He was standing there, and I had my eyes wide open. I knew what was happening, and was almost powerless to do anything about it, which panicked me. I managed to wake my wife up by quietly whispering her name on my breath for what felt like a couple of minutes. Was really weird, but at the same time was also really cool.
Very similar, and very recently. I was definitely aware I was dreaming and that the glycine was still doing it's thing, but I wanted out of the dream and tried to wake my wife up by yelling. I was eventually successful in waking myself but never did get the shout out.

Associate
I dont believe in ghosts but I had some very odd experiences at my parents house. It started with being able to hear someone carrying a tray and one day some friends seeing an old lady walking past the door. I always felt a little scared in the house and once I heard someone whisper in my ear that my brother was asleep. That really did freak me out. Our dog would often watch something walking around the house but you couldn't see anything. Quite often she'd watch the ceiling and track something moving. And in hindsight when she sometimes came into my room at night I now realise she must have felt uncomfortable there too and was seeking comfort instead of being downstairs.

I never really felt comfortable in the house. Things constantly went missing while we lived there. It could be right in front of you and then disappear when you looked back. My brother knows the daughter of the previous owners and apparently her grandmother died there.

Things got a lot worse many years later. My parents divorced and my mum moved out. My brother then moved out a little while later and so did I. I rarely saw my dad because of an argument we had. But we reunited a few years later when he was dying of cancer. I used to have to go over there sometimes and help him when he was very ill at the end and I absolutely hated sleeping in the house. It felt like someone was there in the room with you and the landing at the top of the stairs often felt like someone was sitting there staring down the stairs (I didn't mention that to my brother at the time but we talked about it recently and he felt exactly the same).

My father was a very rational man. He was never scared of anything. And my brother and I never mentioned our feeling about the house to him as we didn't want to scare him when he was there and ill on his own. But one day while staying at my brothers to recover from a round of chemo my dad turned around to my brother completely out of the blue and told him that he didn't like staying at the house and that "the house isn't friendly". To this day that still sends shivers down my spine.

There are a collection of things that happened after he died. My brother and I had to go around there and clear the house out (he'd accumulated an amazing amount of junk including a cellar full to the celing). very strange things would happen again; things would disappear that we'd put down and on one occasion my brother walked into the kitchen and he swears that he heard a massive bang against the back door and the shadow of two hads smack against the privacy glass and slide down to the bottom of the door. Again my brother is a very rational person but he said it scared him a lot. He checked outside and there was nothing out there and no way to get in or out of the garden unless someone had jumped over the fence (which would be visible from the rear window).

I've forgotten half of the things that happened there now. But after all this had happened my final visit was to go back one night and turn the water and electrics off while the house sale was being completed. It was March so it was very dark. Both the electric mains switch and the water stopcock were in the cellar. I didn't have a torch as I'd just come from work and I'd completely forgotten to bring one. So I had to go down the cellar, leave the cellar door open and turn off the electrics at the other side of the room. As soon as I did that it went pitch black. Nothing weird happened that time but I was absolutely petrified when feeling my way back out of the cellar with no lights, up the stairs, through the hall and out of the front door.

I still don't know whether to believe in ghosts. I'm very logical and rational and completely accept my mind may have been playing tricks on me. But I've never had the same feeling in another house (my current house is also over 100 years old and the atmosphere is completely different). The feeling there gradually got worse and worse over the years to the point where it felt positively evil inside.

It was bought by a property developer (an absolute git who dropped the price on the day of completion) and it was split into three flats. I do wonder whether anyone there since has felt anything odd.

Fair play, I would have crapped myself If I had to feel my way out of the cellar like you did.

Soldato
My Mam has worked in a number of the really old shop buildings in Durham City, and they all had ghosts. At the interview for the last job, the manager explained as part of the interview, that the shop had a ghost, and a previous woman had quit because of it.

Soldato
The most creepy experience I've had was when walking with a friend through the redlight district in Bolton to get back to the B&B at 3am.

We was walking fast down Shiffnall Street and as we approached River Street my friend was walking in front, I was at the back focusing on walking. As I was rounding the corner I was looking down and noticed someones folded arms near my face. At first I thought I'd bumped in to a working girl so started to backup. But as I was backing up I thought I'd have bumped in to her at some point. I thought it was a strange event so purposely kept my eyes open and looked up in its direction. All I saw was a cloud of thick fog. The fog was just big enough to cover a person. Around the outer edges it was very clear. There is a drain pipe where this 'figure' was standing, and with the fog I couldn't see through it, but around the edges I could.

When I blinked my eyes the fog instantly went and I could see normally again. I turned around to tell my friend and was surprised to see him in the road. He had jumped that far back and had seen what I saw. Neither of us knew the other person had seen it until we looked at each other. Needless to say we risked running through the subway back to the B&B after that event lol. It was a strange incident.

Soldato
Sounds a bit like some form of sleep paralysis tbh. I've experienced it a few times and it's absolutely petrifying. Last time it happened I woke up and could see a Nazi decked out in full uniform by the head end of the bed, not more than 2 feet away.

I couldn't move and I realised what was happening after about 30 seconds, so tried to snap myself out of it but couldn't. I somehow managed to turn away from it which took what felt like all my strength, and my body felt completely numb. All I could manage after that was a mumbled whisper under my breath that woke my wife up who then woke me up properly.

Really strange. I had the same thing happen to me when I was about 8 and that messed me up for a while.

Soldato
I would not call it creepiest or any other form of explanation.

A dream within a dream, within dream, its a strange feeling when you pop out of it all. You would call it strange is all I can say.

Your mind is very powerful and can get up to all kinds of tricks with out you knowing.

Soldato
I suffer from what is known as sleep paralyses, and experience this at least once a month. It has been happening since about the age of 6 and continues to this day, 30 years later.

I've learnt to deal with it as I know now when I am having such episodes but I've always wondered why it is that we all have a common theme of the presence of an entity and the fear that it brings to us all.

Caporegime
I had an experience when I was fairly young that I find hard to talk about to this day. I remember waking up in bed from a dream and rolling over to look at the digital clock that was next to the bed on the side table.

The next thing I remember was the feeling of being very very cold (this was the middle of summer) and a sense of only what could be described as utter dread and sheer terror. I had the absolute feeling of something or someone being in the room with me and for the life of me I could not turn my face to look around the room. After what seemed like an eternity I slowly turned and propped myself up a bit. What I saw next will be with me to the day I die, I'm shaking even thinking about it.

I saw some kind of apparition, about chest height basically 'hovering' at the end of my bed. No real body as such, just a face. The 'face' looked human but a bit disfigured, it pretty much looked like the character Tom out of the board game Guess Who. I remember being completely numb and helpless, none of my motor functions wanted to work. I wanted to shout for my mum but I felt like I was paralyzed and in a trance like state. After what seemed an eternity this apparition slowly 'drifted' backwards towards my closet and simply disappeared. At this point I still couldn't move but I remember starting to cry and sob. I ran into my mum and told her (she obviously didn't believe me) and slept with her for the rest of the night. I slept in her room up until i was 14 or so. It is by far the most traumatic and outright bizarre experience I've ever had, I've had to surpress a lot about it because it physically makes me shake and become incredibly anxious.

Pretty much reminds me of this sort of thing

https://youtu.be/lEqLKLuH61E

Soldato
Saw three people in my bedroom during my sleep. Seemed real, but I've put it down to a waking dream as I don't believe in ghosts or any of that crap.

My missus is an 'active sleeper' and often has conversations, sings really quietly (this freaks me the hell out) or screams at the top of her voice all in her sleep.

The other night she went bolt upright when I came in the bedroom after a late night gaming session, and said "Oh, have the others gone now?".

I asked "Who?".

She said "The other ones. They've gone now."

Then she instantly went back to sleep.

She scares me!

Associate
My missus is an 'active sleeper' and often has conversations, sings really quietly (this freaks me the hell out) or screams at the top of her voice all in her sleep.

The other night she went bolt upright when I came in the bedroom after a late night gaming session, and said "Oh, have the others gone now?".

I asked "Who?".

She said "The other ones. They've gone now."

Then she instantly went back to sleep.

She scares me!

:eek:

Joking aside, an ex was similar, one night I woke up to find her sitting bolt upright, we had a conversation etc.

Next morning after mentioning, absolutely no recollection. It wasn't half disconcerting as just slightly strange!

Associate
Sounds a bit like some form of sleep paralysis tbh. I've experienced it a few times and it's absolutely petrifying. Last time it happened I woke up and could see a Nazi decked out in full uniform by the head end of the bed, not more than 2 feet away.

I couldn't move and I realised what was happening after about 30 seconds, so tried to snap myself out of it but couldn't. I somehow managed to turn away from it which took what felt like all my strength, and my body felt completely numb. All I could manage after that was a mumbled whisper under my breath that woke my wife up who then woke me up properly.

Really strange. I had the same thing happen to me when I was about 8 and that messed me up for a while.

This is a very disconcerting phenomena. I had never experienced this until around four years ago, when I had a spate of it happening on numerous nights across several weeks. Lying there feeling awake but not able to move a single muscle, wanting nothing more than to shout out but not being able to utter a sound, and also occasionally feeling like there was either something in the room or something restraining movement. I don't know how long it takes to 'snap out' of it, but it feels like an eternity.

Its only happened perhaps two times since then, I would cheerfully never experience it ever again.

Back
Top Bottom