What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I closed the en suite door and had a shower, relative humidity at the start was mid 50's, after the shower it was 82, then it dropped to 60 after 15 minutes with the door closed, so the new roof vent is definitely doing its job. Together with sorting out the durgo, I now have a happy wife. Next job is to sort the loft insulation and flooring out, plus clearing up the mould by the window.
HG mould spray is class. When we moved in our house had been left empty with no heating for a year, was a fair bit of mould, that sorted it out, it does smell a bit but just crack a window or leave your fancy new extractor running :).

Plumbed my first ever radiator, up to 1.1 bar, all bled, and no leaks… success. Push fit makes me feel like I can plumb anything :D.

Associate
Dug out a concrete floor
br8PKnE.jpeg
Oof! I did one like this once, very similar size. That's a hell of a job. Bet you're feeling it now!

Soldato
I've long suspected that the ducting to the soffit is partially blocked, too long, or the extra corner in at the soffit is the cause of the extractor being exceptionally poor in the en suite. The main bathroom is vented to the roof via a vented tile, so I wanted the same in our en suite. I rang a few roofers, those who answered said multiple weeks for a quote and wanted scaffolding, some didn't answer/ring back. One guy answered straight away, turned up 20 minutes later for a look and gave me a quote there and then. It was expensive IMO to replace a single tile, but I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer so agreed on the £200. He went away, got the vent, came back, fitted it as well as a few other small things I asked for. I know I could have probably got it for half that, or maybe it is a fair price, I dunno, lack of quotes elsewhere didn't really give me much to compare to. I just wanted it done.

I've just been in the loft and fitted ducting to the internal part of the new vented tile rather than the soffit. Before even with an inline extractor the toilet tissue trick failed miserably. And with not having any vents above our windows in the bedroom or a window in the ensuite I think it's been contributing to mould issues we're got around the blinds in our bedroom as well as in the grout of the ensuite tiles. With the new run, the tissue almost got sucked up into the vent so I'm confident it's helped massively. Will have a shower after taking the dog for a run later and get a feel for how the condensation is but I'm feeling confident.

Think you did well in the current market to get that done for £200 unfortunately.

Caporegime
HG mould spray is class. When we moved in our house had been left empty with no heating for a year, was a fair bit of mould, that sorted it out, it does smell a bit but just crack a window or leave your fancy new extractor running :).

Plumbed my first ever radiator, up to 1.1 bar, all bled, and no leaks… success. Push fit makes me feel like I can plumb anything :D.

Very good. Now drain it again and fit chrome tails:p (no push fit to be used with them!).

Soldato
Very good. Now drain it again and fit chrome tails:p (no push fit to be used with them!).

Ez pz DIY friendly version.

Soldato
Yeah, heating system was still working so drained and refilled. Watched a few of the "pro" diyers on YouTube and got some advice from my Uncle who's pretty handy. Felt more comfortable doing a baby rad first, knowing I could lift it with one hand versus a monster type 22 should anything go wrong :eek:

Uncle convinced me to get brass end caps for the pipes while the rad was off. Good job he did. The TRV had a peg that stopped it at the frost setting so it wasn't turned all the way off. When I took the rad off the room was warm so it appeared to be fully closed. A couple of days without heating and the temp had dropped so when I started to loosen the cap water came pi**ing out. Was at that point I saw the peg and realised he'd saved me a week in the dog house :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, heating system was still working so drained and refilled. Watched a few of the "pro" diyers on YouTube and got some advice from my Uncle who's pretty handy. Felt more comfortable doing a baby rad first, knowing I could lift it with one hand versus a monster type 22 should anything go wrong :eek:

Uncle convinced me to get brass end caps for the pipes while the rad was off. Good job he did. The TRV had a peg that stopped it at the frost setting so it wasn't turned all the way off. When I took the rad off the room was warm so it appeared to be fully closed. I couple of days without heating and the temp had dropped so when I started to loosen the cap water came pi**ing out. Was at that point I saw the peg and realised he'd saved me a week in the dog house :D
Have been meaning to get brass end caps for about 15 years. You just reminded me!

Soldato
I assumed, incorrectly, that all the fittings would be the same size so got 2 x 1/2 inch caps. Turns out I needed 1/2 and 3/4...what a noob!

Get a handful of caps in different sizes, you'll probably end up using them all :cry:

Associate
Plinth heaters are game changers btw.

Indeed they are, but if you've not had one before remember to clean it out at least once a year depending on how bad it gets. As they're on the floor they get blocked up with dust very quickly and that makes them noisier and less effective.

Back
Top Bottom