What Next for 2020? Volcanoes of Course!

Associate
They must be extremely confident that Los Lanos will escape a direct impact as they've just announced an investment of 1.4m euros in the medical center there. The animal shelter has seen admissions triple and are desperate for volunteers - it breaks my heart seeing all of the missing dog/cat posters on lamposts over the past few weeks :(

Lava flow looks to be slowing in La Laguna, it's not really progressed that much past Montana La Laguna towards Tazacorte.

Associate
248233050_3012105372363562_2215454191494897002_n.jpg
249459511_3012105815696851_8179921124728595304_n.jpg

Associate
The inner cone completely collapsed in today but the volcan is angrier than ever this evening with a 600m fountain height at one point.

Seems like the 4.8 magnitude earthquake in Fuencaliente region in the south gives more evidence of magma draw from 34km down below - the quake was even felt in neighboring islands!

Man of Honour
With the way the magma chamber is more like a multilevel mine working than 1-2 big chambers it will probably relieve pressure via other vents possibly older volcanoes restarting rather than a massive eruption at the current site. But I do get the feeling this is far from over.

Man of Honour
Looking at it going tonight they probably want to double the exclusion zone :s if there was a significant collapse of the main vent(s) it could definitely get nasty.

EDIT: Can't really see it on the streams but there is some serious gas punching out the vent behind the one the cameras are on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Incredible that's it's still going and it seems to be getting stronger.

Have any.kre cracked appeared along the shelf where it was predicted could be a.potential.mega disaster?

Man of Honour
Incredible that's it's still going and it seems to be getting stronger.

Have any.kre cracked appeared along the shelf where it was predicted could be a.potential.mega disaster?

No - some small cracks due to the earthquakes but nothing out of the ordinary, a couple of minor landslides but completely detached from any flank collapse. It would take an earthquake with more than 1000x the energy of what normally happens in that region (depending on study a minimum of 7.8 or 8.0 which happened to be in the right place) or a really big eruption 50+ times the size of this one for something like this to potentially trigger a massive flank collapse - and even then it doesn't mean it would happen in a way which produced a massive tsunami.

There has been some movement of the flank detected but it is fairly limited.

There is a chance that lava streams entering the sea could build up to produce formations over the deeper water eventually collapsing causing a small to medium local tsunami but due to the nature of the coastline only a small number of locations on the island would be threatened by it.

EDIT: I would never say never though - there is general instability and the potential there - despite the evidence being stacked against it the possibility is there but as is often the case downplayed.

Man of Honour
Picking up again a bit and looks like new intrusions. Though earthquake activity is easing off a bit I reckon it is just a lull before a new phase.

Back
Top Bottom