What Next for 2020? Volcanoes of Course!

Man of Honour
They reckon there is less gas coming through now and more magma is going out than entering the system which could mean it is past the peak - but with those earthquakes I wouldn't bet on it.

Soldato

Seems there's 4 vents now, 2 shooting lava straight up on the main cone with a 3rd that seems to be spewing all the lava flows and there looks to be a 4th vent further back on the hill I wonder if this will create a new cone

Man of Honour
They are warning at La Palma earthquake activity could ramp up to as much as a 6 - largest so far IIRC 4.8.

While still a long way from the kind of energy needed where a major landslide risk becomes real, minimum likely required ~7.8-8.0, that is not good news in that direction.

Man of Honour
6 to 8 is circa 100 times the energy isn't it?

Dunno off the top of my head but the scale works something like that. For a serious flank collapse like scenario at the island most of the studies show it would need an earthquake, in the right place, with more than 1000x the energy of any earthquake there so far which is around 100x higher on the earthquake scale (around 7.8-8). Even then it doesn't mean the flank collapse would happen in a manner which produced a megatsunami.

Soldato
They are warning at La Palma earthquake activity could ramp up to as much as a 6 - largest so far IIRC 4.8.

While still a long way from the kind of energy needed where a major landslide risk becomes real, minimum likely required ~7.8-8.0, that is not good news in that direction.

Yes I've been watching this guy on youtube, he has clickbait titles but his actual videos are quite reasonable just giving updates on the island and what the news reports have been saying, sounds like they're expecting it to get worse before it gets better

Man of Honour
We seem to be entering a relatively active phase volcanoes wise. Though it often seems to be the way rising out of the minimum part of a solar cycle.

Man of Honour
I've never been so aware of volcanoes around until I discovered this thread, is it just me or does this year feel extremely popular for eruptions.

I'm not sure the link but for some reason volcanic activity always seems to pick up as we come out of the minimum part of the solar cycle - not to say anything is imminent or inevitable but some of the biggest eruptions in modern history "coincided" with similar phases of solar activity as we are going through now such as 535-536 and 1815.

Back
Top Bottom