What RAM are you getting/bought for Ryzen

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Yeah asrock is slack on this timing at xmp. Asus much tighter. Asrock forces this in bios for compatibility.

Not benched yet but had some success with tRAS and the secondaries today. tRC and tRFC and tWR seem to be the ones to focus on reading around. I was running 1.175v SOC which was screwing the mem control over and limiting it. Not seen such an extreme example of excess voltage impacting like that before.

Dropped SOC to 1.125 and DRAM to 1.4 and achieved -

TRAS down from 38 to 28 (!)
tRC down from 56 to 46
tRFC down from 356 to 275 (160ns)

All at 3333 c14. Thought I had a bad kit but turns out I’m just a noob :)

Not free of F9 hell yet though :(

OcUK Staff
I tried gaming 7 with latest bios so I am pretty sure gaming 5 is also working well. On initial testing I tried gaming 5 and was fine then with older Agesa codes in 2X. 8GB 3200Mhz configuration.

Soldato
I tried gaming 7 with latest bios so I am pretty sure gaming 5 is also working well. On initial testing I tried gaming 5 and was fine then with older Agesa codes in 2X. 8GB 3200Mhz configuration.

Just want to say thanks again for the reccommendation on the RAM for the PRime X370. Dropped in and what reads as a very finnicky board has worked perfectly. DOCP straight to 3200Mhz. Just need to sort the CPU out now lol

Associate
Im looking to get a ryzen build but boy is ram expensive
Looking at a 1600 and msi b350m bazooka (want the black board with white)
Ive decided on 16gb (2x8gb) and wasnt that fussed about 3200hz ram, but its hard knowing whats compatible and what isnt
Id be happy at 2666hz but prices arent that much different.
I know or at least i do the teamgroup dark pro 3200hz ram works, but would the 3000hz equivalent be ok for £15 less?

I must add, not interested in overclocking or messing about with settings in bios if i can help it, just want to stick the ram in and it works

Ste

Ste

Soldato
3200 is a sweet spot for ryzen and performance is considerably better than at 2666.

You do though need B die memory to get there reliably and you’re right it is getting expensive.

I would get the cheapest B die you can afford. If there is only 15 quid in it then that is 15 quid very well spent. That is assuming the dark pro 3200 is B die. I think it is but maybe 8 pack will confirm soon.

Associate
Thanks Ste
Not done a build for a while and budgeted like £110 for 16gb, but then checking prices everywhere its like upwards of £150!!
I cant afford that at the moment.
The teamgroup dark pro 16GB 3000hz is £136 at the moment, which is better priced for me than £156 for the equivalent but at 3200hz
But with ryzen boards its so hard to know what will work and wont

OcUK Staff
Lol come on I have said many many times now. It's Samsung b die the high bin stuff. Always will be not like other vendors who after getting good press change ic. All 8Pack modules are high end b die on special designed pcb.

The normal dark pro is often hynix though. For gaurenteed Samsung b die high end bin choose 8Pack modules.

Associate
Not bothered by all this "bin" stuff etc

Not interested in overclocking or mega fast speeds, i just want to buy some ram, not get shafted price wise (not a dig, ram prices in general) in purchasing it and put it in the motherboard and it works

when did it go so complicated?

Not looking to benchmark, just want to play games at 1080p/60fps, so i dont need anything fancy

OcUK Staff
The thing is with Ryzen you need the better ic to get 3200+ stable and this 3200 is making a big difference like 200-300 Mhz on the Cpu for some applications. It gives the Cpu efficiency and IPC.. With my kit most boards 3333Mhz 8GB x2 not even one issue.

My stuff is plug and play xmp. I tested on 15+ ryzen boards from 80 quid up and it's working. Even 4x 8GB 3200Mhz working in many too.

Last month we sold 100+ of this kit online alone excluding bundles and systems.

I am just trying to help you get easy good performance.

Vortez also reviewed the kit which you can check out if you wish.

Associate
I understand stand that 8pack and thanks for responding but surely there is more than one pack of ram on the market which will just work?

I have seen many reviews/videos where for gaming only, 3200hz and 2667/2666 ram make next to no difference maybe a dropped frame here or there..

There is no way i am spending £190 on ram, zero chance actually

Even if i buy 3000hz ram and it drops to 2933hz im not fussed.

Soldato
I understand stand that 8pack and thanks for responding but surely there is more than one pack of ram on the market which will just work?

Ryzen's memory support does look like it's gotten better in the last couple of months, and with the latest bios you can probably get a (cheaper) Hynix kit running around the 2933 mark. Seen a few people even getting 3200 out of them, but it definitely doesn't seem to be guaranteed and a lot seem to languish at 2666.

Samsung b-die products are the best chance for happiness by all accounts, but unfortunately manufacturers don't tend to list that data, and it may change batch to batch within the same product line. As far as I know, 3200 cas 14 at 8gb per stick only exists as b-die, which is why everyone recommends those products. Memory with higher latencies or lower frequencies might be b-die, but might not be. If you want 'just works' at specced speed, you unfortunately have to pay a premium for it. Which is a bit rubbish, if we're honest, because everything should bloody well work at the speed it says :(

And yeah, they're pricey. I needed 2x16, and the memory was more expensive than the motherboard and cpu combined :( For what it's worth, the same kit I bought is £10 cheaper today :p

Associate
Soldato
Feels like I'm having bad luck here. Team Group 8Pack 16GB 3600Mhz arrived today and fitted it. XMP1 @ 3333Mhz on my MSI X370 Carbon just doesn't boot, manual at 3200Mhz doesn't boot either. Can't get higher than 2933Mhz still :/

Edit - after some manual tweaking got it going at 3200, although on boot still had to cycle 5 times before it would come up. Now just need to see if it's stable.

Back
Top Bottom