What retro things have you done today?

Not had a chance to check yet, been setting up a new PFSense instance for dual WAN for most of the afternoon.

Hey, I'm interested to hear about your pfsense setup. Physical or Virtual? I'm going to be building a pfsense box next week based around a i3 6100t. Just waiting on the case to arrive!

My edge router lite is not about to handle 100mbps with QOS on virgin and always wanted to have a go with pfsense!

Decided that I will keep my p3/voodoo system and a 486.... But I will sell both current 486 to fund a 486 with pci support to closer resemble my first PC. Will have to set alerts tho as there doesnt seem to be any candidates on ebay yet.

Must admit I've been watching that all week, although to be honest I'd expect it'll go for too much. Probably because it's boxed, although the box is clearly knackered.

I just purchased a Creative 12mb card, tested working but not boxed for £90 inc the Vga jumper lead.

An unknown card for around about half sound right, i think it stands a good chance of functioning at some level at least, the board looks very clean.

There’s always the possibility that it works and someone just got a bargain, but I know from experience that “untested” typically means “I’ve tried it and couldn’t get it to work”.

I’d rather spend the extra on a couple that work. Or the same as I bid on ones with known faults that I can pre-assess for repairability.

The Shuttle is up and running, well at least the hardware is. Managed to bend the CPU pins back into place, and by some freak chance the DDR2 survived the trip through the post in a payslip envelope. :D Sempron 2700 and 256MB out, Athlon64 X2 5000+ and 4GB XM2 in.

3D printed a 2x 2.5" HDD bay adaptor, ran another SATA cable and installed a couple of drives ready for an XP installation and Lewis's AMD X1650.

Inside is utterly filthy though, IPA'd as much as I could but I think the board will need to come out for a toothbrushing at some point. Still, more than happy with how the build is going and really looking forward to booting up some classics soon. :)

The Shuttle is up and running, well at least the hardware is. Managed to bend the CPU pins back into place, and by some freak chance the DDR2 survived the trip through the post in a payslip envelope. :D Sempron 2700 and 256MB out, Athlon64 X2 5000+ and 4GB XM2 in.

3D printed a 2x 2.5" HDD bay adaptor, ran another SATA cable and installed a couple of drives ready for an XP installation and Lewis's AMD X1650.

Inside is utterly filthy though, IPA'd as much as I could but I think the board will need to come out for a toothbrushing at some point. Still, more than happy with how the build is going and really looking forward to booting up some classics soon. :)
Pics needed tbh. Interested in the condition of yours and the 3d printed 2.5” adapter!

Back
Top Bottom