What retro things have you done today?

The ongoing battle for idiocy in packing retro computer hardware continues.

My 9800GT arrived today, in a reused jiffy bag, some bubble wrap and an antistatic bag. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, wrapping the card in the bubble wrap and then putting the whole bundle into the antistatic bag kind of defeats the purpose of the antistatic properties of the bag... :rolleyes:

The ongoing battle for idiocy in packing retro computer hardware continues.

My 9800GT arrived today, in a reused jiffy bag, some bubble wrap and an antistatic bag. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, wrapping the card in the bubble wrap and then putting the whole bundle into the antistatic bag kind of defeats the purpose of the antistatic properties of the bag... :rolleyes:
You're going to love the random thing I am posting you then haha..

RM did not bring any gifts today..

Hermes did bring my athlon motherboard but I am so down with hayfever I am not motivated yet.

I think you will figure out what it is and what it needs as soon as you see it... And if you fix it its a nice freebie for you!

Thats a shame :(

Ive got the parts together and tested out the new mobo. POSTed first time but was a bit disappointed by the following "1250mhz".. Was hoping for something stronger!

Time to get XP on and see how it runs.

Thats a shame :(

Ive got the parts together and tested out the new mobo. POSTed first time but was a bit disappointed by the following "1250mhz".. Was hoping for something stronger!

Time to get XP on and see how it runs.

I keep meaning to get a Socket A board (a good clocking one) as I’ve still got my original XP-M 1500+ Thoroughbred (mobile) chip that was a beast of a clocker from what I remember.

I keep meaning to get a Socket A board (a good clocking one) as I’ve still got my original XP-M 1500+ Thoroughbred (mobile) chip that was a beast of a clocker from what I remember.
The bios was in some form of safe mode. It is actually a 2800+ which is nice!

Annoyingly I can only find 768mb of ram.. I have tons but its too hot in the loft to go searching right now.

By some luck I checked the date on my DVD and HDD and they are both 2003.... Period correctness by accident.

Got the 9800GT cleaned up (to be fair other than a bit of dust in the heatsink it was very clean to begin with), and made up a Molex>6-Pin PCIe cable then got it slotted into the Shuttle SK22G2 V2.

9800GT-1.jpg

9800GT-2.jpg

SK22G2-07.jpg

Ah, the world of spending 2hrs installing windows then having to start again because a driver did not like the order you installed them in :p

I forgot all my prior windows 9x pains until recently.

Yeah. This is why I now image my CF card once the OS and software is installed. THEN I do the drivers. Worst case is a re-image of the CF card (10 minutes) and I'm back to a driverless state.

The odd thing is games work fine... The first thing I use to test however is 3dmark which would flat restart the pc as soon as game 2 started.(with the latest drivers available) and after I sourced some older ones just refused to work at all...
My evening went like this:
Install XP pro.
Install drivers for motherboard and gpu and confirm no ! in device manager
Install DX9... "This is not for this OS"..
Try another DX9.. Same again..
Realize I am on SP1.
Install SP3.
Install dx9
run 3dmark and have problems.
Install new gpu drivers which fail due to no .net framework
Upon restart the drivers did install but get errors from the CCC not loading properly.
Remove drivers
install .net 2.0
install drivers again.
3dmark now doesnt work at all.

Give up..

Woke up and gave CoD a spin as its the first game I could find with directx9 and it ran fine...

Back
Top Bottom