What Virtual Reality games are you playing?

Associate
i haven't been back on the star trek bridge since the first week.

i should give it another go. I remember being put off by having to keep my head in a fixed position, if you move to the side or do anything the game used to cut the visuals.

That doesn't sound right at all! Haven't experienced anything like that so I'm sure that's been fixed. Give it another shot, (anecdotally) there are quite a few new players around.

Soldato
After the summer VR hiatus due to the heat, I'm back into VR and catching up games I bought recently. I've been playing Robinsons the Journey, which has some amazing environments and creatures, and an interesting story, but the game isn't always clear about what it is you need to do to progress. The VR touch controller interactions aren't quite as good as they could be, as it's obvious the game wasn't originally designed for them, and they were retroffited later.

Other than that Skyrim is my go-to game for getting immersed in VR. It's the only game I can play for hours on end, as there is always something over the next hill to encounter.

I keep on intending to get the racing seat and wheel setup out to play Project Cars again, but can't seem to get round to it. It's not a huge effort to setup, but it's still one more step to playing a game. Though I do hope to eventually be able to stream the game to my Oculus Go, so I can dispense with the headset wire.

Associate
Just started dead effect 2, one of my first proper vr games ( really just got the rift for racing sims)

Seems brilliant so far but am having a pig of a time getting the world/player scales set right.

Asa

Asa

Associate
I'm utterly hooked on a modded-up Skyrim at the moment. I still can't quite get over how good it is. If anyone is playing that, make sure to get Dragonborn Speaks Naturally as a minimum.

I picked up Marvel Powers VR as well. In some ways it is better than I expected, but somehow also chronically underwhelming.

Gunheart is on sale now, I've heard mostly positive things about that. Anyone on it?

Soldato
Gunheart is my current jam. The game needs a few more levels and environments, and it could do with unique rare items or custom weapon handles, and a few more enemy types would add a little variety. It's one of the few VR games where I've seen people calling out payed DLC.

The things it has going for it though are full XP progression in character and weapon levelling, a massive amount of weapon mods and combo's, and total character customization. The dev's behind the game are industry vets, they've filled it full of what makes other games they've worked on massively popular, visually and with the expected polish and connectivity.

The reason why I enjoy it over every other fps thus far is the sheer fun of playing it. A couple of updates ago they added jumping that totally changed the game, it plays so much like quake 3 now. Spending more time airborne while raining death feels so good.

The downer though is it needs more people constantly playing it. While I've never not got a co-op going in a session, it would be great it there were greater numbers to build up some 4's or v's.

Asa

Asa

Associate
I nearly bought it on the Steam sale yesterday. I thought it would be prudent to check the Oculus store as well, and it turns out I already own it. I've never played it though.

I'll be sure to jump on at some point, but as I said before... totally enamoured with Skyrim!

Soldato
Subnautica seems to be performing better these days. Picked it up for peanuts a couple of years ago, always put off by the choppy frame rate and a UI that would float around on will. Most of that would cause severe motion sickness.

Fired it up a couple of weeks ago to a much more pleasing experience, smoother ocean, a static UI, and a PDA that is more readable than before. Not quite perfect, now I've started building a base you can still see some frames dropping.

Turning out to be the fantastic game people make it out to be, amplified 100% in the glove fit of VR. Met a leviathan for the first time yesterday, utterly chilling experience. Swimming around in shallow waters I was totally unprepared, no idea about the roar, I saw the huge shadow and it darted at me like a flash... I've never been that **** scared in a game before. The alien in Isolation has absolutely nothing on the Reapers in Subnautica, I think the huge scale of the creature and the isolating nature of the diving suit with nowhere to run saw to that.

Great game, but be warned not for the faint hearted, it's Jurassic Park up close.

Permabanned
Subnautica seems to be performing better these days. Picked it up for peanuts a couple of years ago, always put off by the choppy frame rate and a UI that would float around on will. Most of that would cause severe motion sickness.

Fired it up a couple of weeks ago to a much more pleasing experience, smoother ocean, a static UI, and a PDA that is more readable than before. Not quite perfect, now I've started building a base you can still see some frames dropping.

Turning out to be the fantastic game people make it out to be, amplified 100% in the glove fit of VR. Met a leviathan for the first time yesterday, utterly chilling experience. Swimming around in shallow waters I was totally unprepared, no idea about the roar, I saw the huge shadow and it darted at me like a flash... I've never been that **** scared in a game before. The alien in Isolation has absolutely nothing on the Reapers in Subnautica, I think the huge scale of the creature and the isolating nature of the diving suit with nowhere to run saw to that.

Great game, but be warned not for the faint hearted, it's Jurassic Park up close.

Agreed, great game but I couldn't play it in VR. The menu is shoddy and out of focus (might be because of my eyesight mind), and it was the first game I've played that made me feel so sick I had to lie down.

Soldato
The menu is shoddy and out of focus (might be because of my eyesight mind), and it was the first game I've played that made me feel so sick I had to lie down

I presume you mean the focus on the PDA. I don't have a problem with the way it currently is, but the current beta scales it back some more. Motion sickness used to hit me some too, but removing the smooth turning by increasing the horizontal sensitivity to max on the joypad seems to have cured my problem with it.

Soldato
I tried to get back into Arktika.1 but I've hit a game breaking bug where I complete a mission and I never get offered the next one. :confused: Oh well, back to Skyrim. :rolleyes:

Associate
Virtual Virtual Reality was a blast - got it cheap in the steam sale, and I didn't have any expectations as it is a Daydream port. But F Me is it mindbending fun!!

Wizards is only £6 at the moment which is a great deal as well, like spell casting without Skyrim.

Soldato
Creed is rather fun. Little bit worried about wrecking the place in my small area, but the game does a great job of keeping you where you want to be.

It has multiplayer. so if anyone's up for a ruckus:)

Associate
Haven't tried Creed yet because I've started playing Soundboxing on insane mode and that is giving me a crazy work out so I have nothing left in the tank for punching.

But I'm loving Jet Island. This game has some epic moments, with a sense of speed and scale that I haven't had from other games.

Soldato
Picked up Jet Island last week, not played it yet but I hear good things so ill take your recommendation to give it a go

Lemme know when your up for it with Creed, I got rinsed last night in my first fight online. Blocking low was a bit of an issue, as soon as I started to out pace the guy it all went bellow the belt:/

Associate
Budget Cuts has finally been fixed for Oculus Rift users, the throwing knives are now usable, so im playing that.
Also War Dust, looks a bit rough around the edges but great fun! Dare I say it’s the most fun I’ve had with a VRFPS yet..

Really looking forward to the Zero Caliber demo later this week too

Soldato
Still playing Skyrim, and that's partly due to its save system which means I can jump in and out at exactly where I left off whenever I like. Too many VR games have checkpoint systems that aren't well designed and can cause loss of progress. Lone Echo is one, and don't get me started on Arktika.1 which regularly refuses to let me access the next part of the game, forcing a re-play of the current level.

I have tried to get MP games of From Other Suns and Star Trek Bridge Crew over the last weekend but no-one seems to be on any more. :(

Back
Top Bottom