What Virtual Reality games are you playing?

Soldato
The Wanderer is great, though I encountered some very bad bugs literally within the first 5 mins, which led to my character being unable to progress and I had to restart.

Also it's really, really easy to lose objects that you might need for later.

It's definitely a step up from 90% of Steam VR games.

Soldato
Has anyone played Zenith yet.

Hopefully today, it's installed and ready. If you've not done the VR social thing before, it'll likely please you anyway. While VR isn't any different in terms of what your looking at (an avatar opposite) you yourself feel like you are in the game as a presence, likewise the person opposite, why VR shifts social interactions to another level.

From everything i read the game is certainly limited, but it's proving popular which will enable them to kick on and raise eyebrows elsewhere.

Soldato
YEah i keep looking at it thinking it might be a good one to try, but like any MMO i certainly wont have the time to invest into it!

Keen to see peoples thoughts on it from here though, if anyone dips in do keep us all posted!

Soldato
Hour and a half with Zenith then.

Nice world they've built, the initial underground city is well constructed clean and functional. I expected to be underwhelmed with the graphics, neither really so especially in the opening area beyond the city. The art style they've gone with makes the ground areas look busier than just the bog standard flat polygons that do make up the wider landscapes, you notice them less. Character models were a little bit floaty glide along when walk/running, but the upper body and animation had clearly been worked on more. It's hard to call what i saw anything other than basic in just the city and starting area, you'd expect that, it did feel extremely empty in the city.

I liked the UI and player inventory, though a tad disappointed that everything was point and click with no touch option in the inventory, people had that figured out years ago. All the solid MMO traits seem to be present, hard to judge as i only hit level 4 and had very little unlocked, though other players were doing some cool stuff. Bit of a chore bore levelling up just whacking stuff though, even level 1/2 it was around 30+ kills to move it up, the quests paid far more.

Opted for dual blade sword play. Word of warning they'll be lots of flailing about hammering npc's that dance around a bit, you'll need a open air space that doesn't involve solid objects in all directions. The sword play itself is fairly weak, but the blocking mechanic is cool and certainly worth it as you hammer greater damage for a parry and strike.

To sum this one up, everything about this is basic, functional, and has clearly been constructed with accessibility in mind. I found it enjoyable just around the starter areas with other players around, easily pleased maybe, but that's what sells it to me in the first place beyond the bigger better worlds of Fallout and Skyrim. Easily worth £20 as it stands, tbh they've built a big world that'll only get fuller over time.

Tip though, i joined the main EU server, virtually everybody was speaking Spanish.

Last edited:
Associate
2 hours with Wanderer earlier.

Quality, the fine detail around the opening set in Boston is up there with HL. Everything is virtually the same in the ruined buildings, the graffiti, art deco posters, and all the items you can freely toss about. Unreal engine always looks the bomb maxed on my G2, but it's implementation with Wanderer is a step up from Saint And Sinners in terms of graphical fidelity, everything seems to have a finer detail to it.

Solid production values, the opening ride in the motor boat acts as an introduction HL train ride esc. Everything immediately tells you you're in a ground up built for VR game, you grab the flare gun, load the cartridge, fire the gun. On the trip over to the apartment hub you come across a few more VR mechanics, the only disappointment was the press A to jump ledges and scale through windows, they've employed the HL Alyx magic leap, not a fan.

Like the wrist device, neat and handy, and love the way you can launch it to do thy bidding. The few puzzles experienced beyond the standard fare, the torch and the stargazer is a real neat VR only standout.

Might seem pricey at £30, but it's certainly had that kind of effort put in to the production to more than justify the cost. If you appreciate slow figure it out puzzlers in one of the best settings VR has to offer, then it's a solid recommend.
Looks very impressive visually, how was performance on your G2 with your setup? ( And what is your setup? Haha)

Soldato
how was performance on your G2 with your setup?

It never dipped, there's only low/medium/high settings, they kept it very simple. No notable lag on the players either on the EU server.

It's hard to judge with my system, but owing to the fact i don't see many complaints about performance, id guess it's a low bar.

Soldato
Associate
It never dipped, there's only low/medium/high settings, they kept it very simple. No notable lag on the players either on the EU server.

It's hard to judge with my system, but owing to the fact i don't see many complaints about performance, id guess it's a low bar.
Damn very impressive from a small studio!

Soldato
Finally gotten around to giving Demeo some attention. Enjoying the challenge, it's reminding me of playing Hero Quest on the Spectrum that i liked a lot. The 2nd floor is where i fall down thus far, it's a bit tight that you don't get a health regen when starting the floor.

Skirmish stuff only, like table top simulator i find it hard to go online not being even half an expert.

Soldato
Finally gotten around to giving Demeo some attention. Enjoying the challenge, it's reminding me of playing Hero Quest on the Spectrum that i liked a lot. The 2nd floor is where i fall down thus far, it's a bit tight that you don't get a health regen when starting the floor.

Skirmish stuff only, like table top simulator i find it hard to go online not being even half an expert.

I'd say that's a good time to go online. Ask for help and advice! When we played in the hangout, we discussed what the plan was quite a lot, seeing as we normally succeeded, we must have got it right most the time (or at least not too horrendously wrong!).

Associate
Belomorskaya Station was short but genuinely terrifying.

Make sure you download all 8 parts of Return to Rapture in the workshop. It really makes me itch for a proper VR version of Bioshock, it would be tremendous.

Just got round to downloading "Return to Rapture". Wow! Had a little 10 minute playthrough - looks great.

Back
Top Bottom