What watch do you wear?

Associate
A couple of potato photos of my new Brooklands Triple-Four Limited Edition Racing Chronograph. Brooklands Watch Company was founded by my friends Dad very recently and this is their first watch. I was lucky enough to be invited to the launch event and was so impressed with the watch I put my name down for one.

FhE56B8.jpg
cCjGXfT.jpg
H1E8Bqs.jpg
rxWpmRr.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Wow £5700 for 316l steel no special finishing/workmanship, base grade SW500 movement, no quick release strap, no other USP that I can see on their site - I'm struggling to spot where the £5700 is going!

Why is your limited edition using a basic grade version of the movement when their photos on the website show at least Elabore grade?

Last edited:
Associate
Wow £5700 for 316l steel no special finishing/workmanship, base grade SW500 movement, no quick release strap, no other USP that I can see on their site - I'm struggling to spot where the £5700 is going!

Why is your limited edition using a basic grade version of the movement when their photos on the website show at least Elabore grade?
I believe it's limited edition because it's the first watch. I also expect a lot of the price is derived from the famous designer.

I don't see a difference in the movement pictures on the site and mine? Apart from the fact mine is not clean :)

FWIW - I did not spend £5700 on it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah yes you are right, the film on the back glass hides the colour/finish of the movement - Downloading and zooming in shows underneath it yours does indeed have the decorated movement too - Should have given the glass a wipe before the photo :D

But yes, the asking price on their website is way way way out of scope, even with the designer name. That's more than Grand Seiko Spring Drive money, and those are hand finished cases, dials and hands with hand made movements.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got to be honest, the first thing I thought when I saw the watch was that it was another 'no name' kickstarter, maybe even Chinese type brand, I wasn't thinking oooh an 'expensive' British/Swiss brand I've never heard of....

I'm just struggling to see why that warrants the price as well, even for a low number run of units, Conran isn't 'that' special....
The blurb on the watch page is pretty comical as well in places...."spring bars for easy strap replacement".... um only if you have the tools, quick release ones are even easier....

I'm struggling with the Terrance Conran links as well, if he started in 2018 he would have around 86 years old, he died in 2020 at the age of 88....

Credit to your friends dad for releasing his own watch, it's something I'm sure most of us would love to do, but imo he's going to struggle to sell them at the asking price.

Associate
Been looking at buying my first proper watch and I think I'm going to buy the C63 Sealander Automatic with a leather strap, and probably another to alternate. With discount I can get it for £5-550 but I was wondering if there are other potentially better watches at this price point I should look at as well?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Got to be honest, the first thing I thought when I saw the watch was that it was another 'no name' kickstarter, maybe even Chinese type brand, I wasn't thinking oooh an 'expensive' British/Swiss brand I've never heard of....

I'm just struggling to see why that warrants the price as well, even for a low number run of units, Conran isn't 'that' special....
The blurb on the watch page is pretty comical as well in places...."spring bars for easy strap replacement".... um only if you have the tools, quick release ones are even easier....

I'm struggling with the Terrance Conran links as well, if he started in 2018 he would have around 86 years old, he died in 2020 at the age of 88....

Credit to your friends dad for releasing his own watch, it's something I'm sure most of us would love to do, but imo he's going to struggle to sell them at the asking price.
I especially like the "order what strap you need but we'll send you medium and get to you in a few months"

Soldato
Been looking at buying my first proper watch and I think I'm going to buy the C63 Sealander Automatic with a leather strap, and probably another to alternate. With discount I can get it for £5-550 but I was wondering if there are other potentially better watches at this price point I should look at as well?

Thanks in advance

You might want to consider Baltic. I've just bought one of their Aquascaphe models; it's amazingly well built and looks superb.

Soldato

Thanks in advance
Unless you specifically want a microbrand there are loads of 'good' watches around the £500 mark from the likes of tissot, hamilton (first thought was a khaki...), seiko (just in budget these days)..

Associate

Jeez tough crowd but I guess this is OCUK GD afterall :)

Of course designer stuff is always going to be subjective. The same could be said for certain pieces of furniture. FWIW, the company also states: "A portion of the proceeds from each sale will benefit the Design Museum and the Brooklands Museum Trust."

Not sure what there is to struggle with on how it links to Terence Conran....he designed it and it was one of his final designs :confused: The watch is also being sold through the Conran shop.

I especially like the "order what strap you need but we'll send you medium and get to you in a few months"
Indeed that bit was annoying. I'm down for a large strap when they get them through. The medium fits just about ok but i expect the large will be more comfortable

Soldato
Jeez tough crowd but I guess this is OCUK GD afterall :)
Maybe, but lets be honest we're going to be far more picky with a microbrand watch retailing over £5k than we would be with a watch costing £1-2K.

Of course designer stuff is always going to be subjective. The same could be said for certain pieces of furniture. FWIW, the company also states: "A portion of the proceeds from each sale will benefit the Design Museum and the Brooklands Museum Trust."
Branding in itself doesn't do much for me, I'm not a fan of Rolex either (I think it's overpriced for what you get) and I honestly don't take much notice of 'portion' when it comes to donations, that can literally be £1 for all I know.

Not sure what there is to struggle with on how it links to Terence Conran....he designed it and it was one of his final designs :confused: The watch is also being sold through the Conran shop.
The Conran shop sells loads of stuff he hasn't had any input in so I wouldn't be counting on that either as proof of a link.

Apart from the site saying he was involved there is literally nothing else that really says he did anything, where are the concept sketches, where are the hand written scribbles that he would have done (my background is product design so I know the process pretty well).... if he was as heavily involved as the site tries to imply then there would be more artwork they could have used to show his involvement.... unless of course he just gave feedback on designs by other people which makes the design ownership questionable. This is why I struggle with the link to TC, but I'm sure there will be people that lap up the links regardless.

If I was going to be incredibly picky I'd argue that the website has been designed/worded to imply a lot without actually showing any actual evidence... they use the word envisaged rather than designed in reference to TC designing the watches for example.

But hey I'm not the one buying it etc....

Soldato
Maybe, but lets be honest we're going to be far more picky with a microbrand watch retailing over £5k than we would be with a watch costing £1-2K.

I have to agree here... for over 5k I would not be looking at microbrands, I'd be looking for a true luxury swiss / Grand Seiko Spring Drive.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Here is my Unimatic with new leather strap. Not sure im keen on it though.

ievbYaD.jpg

It's a nice strap but better suited to a classically styled chronograph as those straps are used in automotive racing chronos typically I'd say! A Hirsch Arne or similar would suit the Unimatic quite nicely though. Lightly textured, a nice tapered curved to the upper, and a sporting aesthetic.

Or something like this:

Last edited:
Soldato
uc

Soldato
Hey everyone. For my dad's 70th I bought him a Christopher Ward. I'm now looking to get something similar for my mum's 70th. Can anyone recommend a women's watch brand which does decent stuff, isn't one of the usual high street brands, but also doesn't cost insane money ( looking at up to about £500)?

Thanks!

Caporegime
I was in Turkey the other week, Istanbul and went to the grand bazaar with the wife.
Saw some places that were doing fake watches. At first glance you couldn’t really tell the difference. Got talking to one fella there and told him I was interested in a rolex Daytona, he pulled a few out and went through them. Had ones starting at £200 going up to £1k.

The £1k ones were very good quality compared to the cheaper ones. Was tempted to buy one but then I’m the sort of guy who won’t wear fake watches. I’d rather get the real deal even though they are stupid expensive at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom