What watch do you wear?

fez

fez

Caporegime
My watch is part of an attempt to disconnect from technology a bit. If I check my phone every time I need to know the time I will be tempted to mindlessly browse crap, address notifications etc. I am much happier when I don't spend loads of time on my phone.

Soldato
I have the ceramic bezel model which I like a lot:
I think it's a great watch and would 100% have one.

Last watch I had was an Armani which I bought for £800. Strap broke on that too after a year but I never bothered to get it replaced (7 years ago) and I haven't worn a watch since - just look at my phone now
eek - all you could have got for that 800!

I think it's a great watch and would 100% have one.
Might have to scope out some... ffs :cry::cry::cry:

Soldato
Nice, I have the grey ceramic bezel version in 43mm, great watches!
Nice, I do like it in the grey and also the blue :) I went for the black as there was a good discount at the time :p

I think the 43mm would have been a bit big for my girly wrist, but the 41mm is spot on. Only issue with these watches is the rather long lug to lug size.

Man of Honour
I was looking at watches with my brother recently and it's got me back in the mood for another one or maybe starting a collection. I currently only have my beloved speedmaster, which I will never sell. But I don't want to spend the same kind of money as that on the next one. A few Seiko's came to mind although I'm not sure yet whether I want a dress watch or dive watch.

SARB033 - black dress watch, looks a bit like a grand seiko
SARB035 - white/cream dress watch, looks a bit like a grand seiko
SKX007 - large dive watch
SKX013 - medium dive watch

They all seem to be well respected, particularly the SARB's which appear to be reasonable quality for the price and I do love Seiko as a brand. With all being discontinued a while ago prices are either static or slowly creeping up on the used market. So they might be a good entry level option to avoid depreciation. I did look at the Orient Kamasu dive watch which also looks fantastic for the price. But I feel a bit more attracted to Seiko as a brand.

If anyone has any experience with good or bad points on each watch I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
My newish (I bought 2nd hand, but had only been worn a handful of times) 2021 Seiko Turtle (4r36) is now starting to show some good timekeeping. I bought a timegrapher a while back and have run some experiments regulating with it.

My watch now runs about 10 seconds fast per day if I give it a really thorough hand wind. It does that for a couple of days. Then runs about 10 seconds slow for a day or so, then runs about 10 seconds fast again.

However, after all that, if I don't wind it at all and just wear it 24/7, it settles down and it is absolutely spot on. It's been spot on every time I've checked it (about 20 times, randomly) over the last week or so.

I've regulated the watch 5 or 6 times. Each time I've got it closer and closer. Sometimes running a bit faster, sometimes a bit slower. Was running about 20 seconds slow per day out of the box, so not bad. The beat error was about 2.5 and I got that down to around 0.3 to begin with. I will admit, it's not a process for the faint of heart and I'm glad these movements are not expensive to replace ;) But the money I spent on the timegrapher was almost exactly the saving I made on RRP :)

IMG-3681-002.jpg

And lume during the day :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I was looking at watches with my brother recently and it's got me back in the mood for another one or maybe starting a collection. I currently only have my beloved speedmaster, which I will never sell. But I don't want to spend the same kind of money as that on the next one. A few Seiko's came to mind although I'm not sure yet whether I want a dress watch or dive watch.

SARB033 - black dress watch, looks a bit like a grand seiko
SARB035 - white/cream dress watch, looks a bit like a grand seiko
SKX007 - large dive watch
SKX013 - medium dive watch

They all seem to be well respected, particularly the SARB's which appear to be reasonable quality for the price and I do love Seiko as a brand. With all being discontinued a while ago prices are either static or slowly creeping up on the used market. So they might be a good entry level option to avoid depreciation. I did look at the Orient Kamasu dive watch which also looks fantastic for the price. But I feel a bit more attracted to Seiko as a brand.

If anyone has any experience with good or bad points on each watch I would love to hear them. Thanks.
I have a SARB017 and a SARB033. They are great little things, but do scratch easily (but could just be because I wear them in more everyday scenarios).

9P4InR9.jpeg

The straps are pretty cheap so I have replaced it with a leather strap which I think looks bang on. I'd love a SARB035 or even a SARB037.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the input. They look lovely, especially that SARB033. If getting a SARB I keep flipping between the black 033 and white 035. They both look great and it's hard to decide. I think the black looks just slightly better than the white, but I already have the Speedmaster which is black. So white may make more sense.

Yes I love both the SARB017 and SARB037 too and would happily own either in the future, although the 037 seems to command a premium and seems quite rare.

Last edited:
Associate
I currently have some Diesel fashion watch that i bought some years ago for £250. I've barely worn it and now it sits in my drawer out of favour. I'm looking for something better for less than 1k in price. Something that sits around 50mm size on my wrist and isn't too loud to look at but is classy and of a reasonable quality for the price. Can any of you expert watch people give me a few pointers where to look. Thankyou very much indeed.

Soldato
Honestly, I have a Speedy and a SARB033 too and when I want black face I go Speedy so the SARB033 sits unused. I was then considering SARB035 or Rolex Explorer for white face, so maybe white face is the one.
Thanks for the input. They look lovely, especially that SARB033. If getting a SARB I keep flipping between the black 033 and white 035. They both look great and it's hard to decide. I think the black looks just slightly better than the white, but I already have the Speedmaster which is black. So white may make more sense.

Yes I love both the SARB017 and SARB037 too and would happily own either in the future, although the 037 seems to command a premium and seems quite rare.

Man of Honour
Totally unexpectedly I just bought a Seiko Samurai Save The Ocean Great White Shark blue dive watch (wtf is it with that long model name?). I wasn't previously looking at this model at all, but saw the auction about to end with no bidders and a low starting price, so thought, YOLO, rolled a dice and threw in the minimum bid at the last second. I'm now really quite excited to receive it. It's only a budget watch but I'm happy with the price and could move it on if I don't get on with it when it arrives.

I guess that's my collection started. Now to wait for a good SARB035 as originally planned.

Back
Top Bottom