What watch do you wear?

Associate
After a couple of decades of not wearing a watch at all just using phones for time, really not wanting or being interested in watches, I was offered two earlier this year, a Galaxy Watch 4 as an offered loyalty addon for 20p more per month with new phone, also later in the year got to choose a G-Shock reissue of a classic colourway from 1991, the DW-5600RB, but the basic, classic design is the same as the 1980's versions.

BO6VqtY10njzMi8kajQ9nWutOHADx_aiXVbkFhyIYtbdgdkLtT0uF-p8u1ddRRMUkZ5Bk5MfeKTfgebdL8SET9RcRqOjRwj1OsSXGblRKw44aQ5_NtuIc1I-ABo5ettvokdYEQX8tg=w2400

Galaxy Watch 4 not that practical for me having to wake the screen by motion or button just to read time hasn't been ideal, even a little dangerous to do so when cycling etc. Obviously has fantastic functions and is basically a mini computer, so it's still very nice to use. Also battery drains a lot and charging can be inconvenient.

The G-Shock 5600RB has been a lot more practical with the always on, classic, old school LCD, also is extremely durable, with really useful timers and date functions, it's a truly great day-to-day and sports watch. I also think the 5600 is a true design classic like the original Gameboy, I love the shape and all the gaudy print, it's just an iconic 80's design. Normally I don't like wearing yellow but the yellow versions of this are really nice as well. So many other newer colourways of this watch exist, but I still like this blue the best with the 80's yellow and 90's green ones being really nice too.

Keanu Reeves wears a version of this type in Speed and even some been used by astronauts in space too, amazing for about a £100 watch that can take a lot of knocks and affordable to replace.

Doing research after getting it and being highly impressed, I love the G-Shock origin story, a Japanese inventor dropped a cherished relative's antique watch and destroyed it, then vowed to make a much more durable watch to atone, creating the G-Shock range in the process.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What is wrong with people, this is just one example of a whole wider picture of endless posts seen week on week by people on rolex/tudor subs/forums:

q0w6mjC.png

p5y9H8y.png

Man of Honour
I had a browse in a jewellery shop today, looking at various Seiko's. I have to say that the SSC819 Speedtimer in silver and black looked every bit as good as my Speedmaster and a little bit more modern. I didn't get to feel it and I'm sure my Speedy must feel higher quality in the hand. But if I didn't have my Speedy I would really be quite tempted by this watch, especially at the price.

Man of Honour
Totally unexpectedly I just bought a Seiko Samurai Save The Ocean Great White Shark blue dive watch (wtf is it with that long model name?). I wasn't previously looking at this model at all, but saw the auction about to end with no bidders and a low starting price, so thought, YOLO, rolled a dice and threw in the minimum bid at the last second. I'm now really quite excited to receive it. It's only a budget watch but I'm happy with the price and could move it on if I don't get on with it when it arrives.

I guess that's my collection started. Now to wait for a good SARB035 as originally planned.

It arrived. Surprisingly it fits OK on my wrist and looks better than I expected (I was worried it might look too big on my small wrists but that's not the case). Lovely thing for the small outlay.

c7fWzU7.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It arrived. Surprisingly it fits OK on my wrist and looks better than I expected (I was worried it might look too big on my small wrists but that's not the case). Lovely thing for the small outlay.

c7fWzU7.jpg
Very smart, I ordered one of these in a H Samuel sale but the bloody thing was an ex-demo and damaged in a smashed up box so took it back.

Caporegime

c7fWzU7.jpg

And it's still sitting in a basket waiting for me to buy. Looks really lovely that.

Nice. Save The Ocean collection always look superb.

I've had a SRPD23K1 sitting in basket for way too long.

Man of Honour
Very smart, I ordered one of these in a H Samuel sale but the bloody thing was an ex-demo and damaged in a smashed up box so took it back.
I don't blame you. I would have too.

Thanks. I was very lucky with the condition. I can't see any marks on it at all despite being sold as used. The box had a few marks but it also included all links, manual, warranty card etc. The bracelet doesn't seem as bad as I'd been expecting after hearing how bad cheap Seiko bracelets can be. But assuming I keep it (almost certain) then I'll probably alternate between this bracelet and a rubber dive strap.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The guy sounds he likes to mention $$$ signs. I assume it’s a rolex forum hence no need to mention $ as everyonewould know the cost anyway..
Also it sounds like he’s a first timer and has no idea what a waiting list is..
It's not just one guy. If you browse any of the rolex subs or forums, and to some extent Tudor too now, you will find these people. It's an injoke now that these guys basically let the AD have ways with their wives in order to get a place on the waiting list, and when they "got the call!!!!", it's a special event like grandma's 100th birthday :cry:

It really has become a religion of sorts, where the AD is Jesus, and anything possible has to be done to make them happy with the hope of going to heaven (getting that **insert reference number here**).

There's a reason why r/watchescirclejerk nowadays revolves around screenshots from Rolex posts lol

Last edited:
Soldato

c7fWzU7.jpg
I had an older Samurai in titanium, and like you, was really pleased with how it wore on my wrist despite the size. It's really helped but the relatively short lug to lug dimension, and the steeper downwards angle of the bracelet's first center links. A really good example for why raw case size dimensions can conceal some gems that are only revealed when you get them on wrist.

I had a 43mm GS GMT that behaved similarly, and that was a lovely surprise.

I imagine, being a Japanese company, they're much more conscious of getting larger watches to wear well on a greater range of wrist sizes than many other companies.

Soldato
If you had money would you buy prerelease known brands or would you seek out visionaries and build their vision?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom