What watch do you wear?

I like that a lot...may I ask how much? :)

RRP is £790 but managed to haggle down to £650. :) Could probably have got it down a bit more actually but it's a wedding present (to myself from the future in-laws and needed it sharpish). Really happy with it. Popped into town the other day adamant I was going to get a blue one, first shop I went into tried it on next to the black one and it didn't stand out at all, the blue for some reason was very washed out and dull and almost got the blak. The second store I went to, I changed my mind back to blue, looked much better. Not sure whether it was the lighting or just a poor finish on the first one but really happy with it. Bit more than I was hoping to spend on a watch that's a gift from somebody else but I'll happily cover the difference!:D

dsc00248qd.jpg

dsc00249mg.jpg

I was in Goldsmiths today to buy my watches. They were offering a Sterling watch care service which is insurance against accidental damage for 5 years at £36 per watch with zero excess. Is this worth doing or are there any better or cheaper watch insurance packages available? The watches I'm buying are only £169 and £139.

I was in Goldsmiths today to buy my watches. They were offering a Sterling watch care service which is insurance against accidental damage for 5 years at £36 per watch with zero excess. Is this worth doing or are there any better or cheaper watch insurance packages available? The watches I'm buying are only £169 and £139.

no it's not worth doing on watches at that price

Thanks Rotty though it's still quite tempting at £7/year per watch with no excess. Problem with house insurance is that a small claim and the premium shoots up on renewal. They said I can take out the insurance anytime within the next 28 days so I've got a bit of time to decide.

Also, with quartz watches, what constitutes reasonable timekeeping in terms of seconds lost/gained per day?

thought that was per watch, if for multiple I suppose not that bad

for quartz it should be next to zero, I think most claim around 15 sec per month but it should be lots better than that in reality

Insurance companies make money ergo if you're fairly careful on average insurance is generally a -EV bet. Obviously you need to have insurance to cover rare extreme events that would cost significantly or even be unfordable - car insurance, travel cover, home contents and buildings insurance.

For items that you can afford to replace - mobiles, low priced watches etc.. insurance is generally a fairly bad idea for most people in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom