What watch do you wear?

Which would most of you go for….

Omega seamaster diver 300m
Breitling superocean heritage

I think the superocean looks more spectacular than the seamaster, but having an omega seems to be more luxurious and appealing? Brand snobbery….

Which would most of you go for….

Omega seamaster diver 300m
Breitling superocean heritage

I think the superocean looks more spectacular than the seamaster, but having an omega seems to be more luxurious and appealing? Brand snobbery….
The thing is, the Seamaster has got silly expensive (£5k almost?). IIRC the Breitling looks very similar, has good heritage, and is a lot cheaper.

I much prefer the omega myself. Superior movement too. Also will hold its value better.
It’s the price
I much prefer the omega myself. Superior movement too. Also will hold its value better.
now this is what I thought too. It’s the 5500 (bracelet) price tag that constantly sways me away. Don’t get me wrong it is beautiful! I’m not 100% keen on the wave dial but if money was no object I would have got it by now.

Is the movement etc really worth the £5500 price tag? As mentioned above, the second hand market goes between 3.5-4.5k but on a watch like this I would like the full set new from an AD.

It’s the price

now this is what I thought too. It’s the 5500 (bracelet) price tag that constantly sways me away. Don’t get me wrong it is beautiful! I’m not 100% keen on the wave dial but if money was no object I would have got it by now.

Is the movement etc really worth the £5500 price tag? As mentioned above, the second hand market goes between 3.5-4.5k but on a watch like this I would like the full set new from an AD.
Bear in mind if you are paying full cost up front, you can probably get around 10% discount with a bit of haggling.

Thanks @IvanDobskey much appreciated:) throughout this thread you seem to have good knowledge on watches so always appreciate your advice.

I’m pretty new when it comes to “luxury watches” currently obsessed with wristwatch revival on YouTube.

How do most on here pay for their watches? I don’t tend to like finance, as I don’t like it hanging over your head and tend to pay outright where I can…however pretty much all AD offer 0% which a niggling part of me is saying keep the money in the bank and do 0%

Thanks @IvanDobskey much appreciated:) throughout this thread you seem to have good knowledge on watches so always appreciate your advice.

I’m pretty new when it comes to “luxury watches” currently obsessed with wristwatch revival on YouTube.

How do most on here pay for their watches? I don’t tend to like finance, as I don’t like it hanging over your head and tend to pay outright where I can…however pretty much all AD offer 0% which a niggling part of me is saying keep the money in the bank and do 0%
You can get 0% or a discount for cash. It's pretty much as simple as that. Me personally - I always keep a 3k watch on 0% (my man maths offsets this against the fact my company pays my phone bill!). It's about 58£ a month.

For larger watches though, the discount for cash is hard to walk passed.

Unlikely you'll get discount and 0%.

Edit: I'd be checking out BlackBay 58 as a slightly cheaper Diver too. I'm super pleased with mine. I got my Seamaster for 2770 on 0% about 7 years ago, I would have never paid 4.5k for it tbh.

Last edited:
You can get 0% or a discount for cash. It's pretty much as simple as that. Me personally - I always keep a 3k watch on 0% (my man maths offsets this against the fact my company pays my phone bill!). It's about 58£ a month.

For larger watches though, the discount for cash is hard to walk passed.

Unlikely you'll get discount and 0%.

Edit: I'd be checking out BlackBay 58 as a slightly cheaper Diver too. I'm super pleased with mine. I got my Seamaster for 2770 on 0% about 7 years ago, I would have never paid 4.5k for it tbh.
Your man maths sound good enough to me

The latter is exactly what’s keeping me from parting outright with 5k. I know everything has increased lately however these seem to have risen to silly money considering the price tag not too long ago.

I have a Tudor GMT as my daily wear so was looking for something a little more “special” I’ve always liked the Pelagos but again it isn’t too far apart in looks to the GMT.

No problem :)

I'm with you in that regard, I'd rather pay up front as I don't like finance. Will always try to get a good deal on anything I buy though :D

Currently I have a couple of fairly nice longines watches which I got good deals on. But I'm looking to move up a bracket with my next purchase.

Hope you pick something you really enjoy wearing :)

Your man maths sound good enough to me

The latter is exactly what’s keeping me from parting outright with 5k. I know everything has increased lately however these seem to have risen to silly money considering the price tag not too long ago.

I have a Tudor GMT as my daily wear so was looking for something a little more “special” I’ve always liked the Pelagos but again it isn’t too far apart in looks to the GMT.
Just perform the basic demand supply elasticity question (I failed GCSE economics so don't quote me on that lol). The basic test being, are you happier with 5k in your account, or 5k on your wrist.

Edit: also there is idiots like me wearing Seamasters so don't worry about how it looks to others. You only need some clown wearing the same piece to destroy the image :D

Last edited:
@IvanDobskey @Classic Blue Theme i like the 5k in my bank and on my wrist :D

What I can’t get past at the moment is the omega seamaster doesn’t “look” a 5.5k watch in my eyes (but is coming out on top at the moment) . I guess you could say many of these luxury watches don’t really look their price tag (perhaps I need to move past this)

I’m actually quite liking the RADO Captain Cook High-Tech Ceramic Skeleton Watch, you can pick it up for 3.5k

Any other suggestions at the 4k price tag is appreciated:)

Last edited:

What I can’t get past at the moment is the omega seamaster doesn’t “look” a 5.5k watch in my eyes (but is coming out on top at the moment) . I guess you could say many of these luxury watches don’t really look their price tag (perhaps I need to move past this)

I think with watches you get to a point where value just goes out the window :p

Try not to think of what it costs and just get the one you really want. You'll just regret it if you buy one you perceive as better value and wish you'd spent the extra.

I know I've always lusted after a speedmaster, but I actually like the BB chrono as much. So to me, it is better value.

Some brands you will pay a premium for and omega is one of them. But they do make great watches.

Last edited:

I’m actually quite liking the RADO Captain Cook High-Tech Ceramic Skeleton Watch, you can pick it up for 3.5k

The thing with the Rado is that I don't think it's a 3.5k watch. Where as the Seamaster you can argue is at least 3.5 - 4k. Just look at resale for how the market is valuing them.

Not that it's about the resale at all, to be clear, but I do think being sensible with your cash if you are new/young is smart. My watch collection is my 'if s*** really hit the fan' fund. When I get a bit older I hope it to just be a collection of things I love (and thus resale is irrelevant).

I’m still tempted by the Tudor Royal 18ct gold automatic 41. Whilst I know it’s not a diver, it’s caught my eye way before the seamaster did. Going to go try them on this week at some point. We’re converting the loft at the moment and dropping 5k on a seamaster just doesn’t seem responsible, where on the other hand, 3k on the royal seems more appropriate and scratches the itch :D

It certainly isn't my cup of tea but I can see the appeal.

If you are spanking cash/real money then don't be ashamed to buy nearly new. There are some great dealers who will be far lower than retail.

Back
Top Bottom