What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Timefactors is run by a nice English chap called Eddie who also runs tz-uk, which is a very good watch forum. He makes limited run watches, often homages to historic pieces. One of the brands he makes them under is Smiths. The original went out of business, I think in the 70s. I have a precista watch of his and it is excellent for the money.

http://www.timefactors.com/smiths.htm

Soldato
Interesting. So he's bought the rights to the brand name?

Out of interest (and no cheating!) how much would you pay or what would you say the going rate was for the one I posted, bearing in mind the Sterling silver case.

Only 'downside' is the back is engraved from its original presentation (http://i.imgur.com/psHyiL9.jpg). I don't mind, but just worth mentioning value-wise as it may not be acceptable to some.

Man of Honour
I guess so on the rights. To be honest, I have no idea on the value. Probably not excessive given that the period and shape is not particularly in fashion at the mo (which is a good thing in my opinion as who wants to look like everybody else!)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Christopher Ward have just announced their new in-house movement the SH21 with 5 day power reserve and featured in the C9 Harrison.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/

As many will already know ETA have tightened their grip on smaller brands using their movements and word around the web is CW leading the way for this new movement to be used by microbrands is a big step in the right direction. From what I've read SH12 isn't a generation ahead or anything and it's quite a thick movement too so has limited applications but still, interesting things to come!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Ahoi has long been my favourite! Nice to see they've built on the range too, the Atlantik Blue is outstanding. I prefer some bezel though as it turns out so am looking forward to the Halios on Friday. More of a very elegant dressy diver :D

Last edited:
Don
I could do with a new winder, any recommendations for a quad one? got some decent prices offered by Rapport as I have used them before but interested in what others have used

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This arrived today, it's mine for the next 2 weeks.

LGGW_1_A26A0632.jpg

Once the Google services go live next week I'll know more about how it functions day to day but initial impressions are:

+ Really nice build quality. The strap is like toughened silicone, has a nice buttery feel to it like a high quality dive strap.
+ The watch is smaller than I thought it would be.
+ The charging cradle is magnetic and has a sticky base that sticks to anything in any direction.

- Limited features, relies on apps being "Android Wear" aware to get the most out of them otherwise you just get a basic notification mirror which then takes you to the app on the phone.
- Fit on the wrist isn't as nice as a proper watch. There are no lugs and the watch isn't curved so it basically sits on the top of the wrist like a rectangular slab which can cause some discomfort depending on strap adjustment.
- No buttons, everything is touch.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Guys, when buying watch straps do you want to get a strap that's flush with the face, or have a little play?

e.g. Watch is 22mm, get a strap at 22mm and it sits flush or get a strap at 20mm and have 2mm play.

Cheers.

Associate
Guys, when buying watch straps do you want to get a strap that's flush with the face, or have a little play?

e.g. Watch is 22mm, get a strap at 22mm and it sits flush or get a strap at 20mm and have 2mm play.

Cheers.

Get the right size, I made a mistake and ordered one 2mm to small and while it didn't look too bad the pin wasn't strong enough without the strap completely covering it to not pop off. With the 2mm gap the watch came off my wrist, with the strap coming lose. It may be a cheap pin mind (certainly not an expensive watch by any consideration) but going back to the full size strap with the same pin and I've not had the issue since.... FYI more so than anything...

daz

daz

Soldato
I really like that ^

My last steel Casio was a real beater but for what I paid it was perfect. Water proof to 200M and never skipped a beat.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Halios Tropik SS arrived this afternoon.

I'd not heard of Halios up until a few weeks ago, they're a small Vancouver based watch maker and the guy that owns it seems to be very personable and often deals directly with customers. He releases watches in limited runs and they're quite often out of stock. The blue was the last one left in the European store and they said it's unlikely to be re-released as well, only the black version will be.

A bit of umming and ahhing later and many reviews/forum thread browsing and YouTube watching later I chumped up the cash. The guy running the EU store said because it's the last one he'd throw in a quality NATO as well and he wasn't wrong, it feels similar to my other Maratac ones.

Specs for the Tropik are rather good:
- Miyota 9015 movement, 42hr reserve.
- 41mm case without crown.
- 300m.
- Domed sapphire crystal with AR coating.
- Slightly cushion shaped sides, all brushed finish.
- 120 click bezel with ceramic insert with blue lume.
- Matte coloured dial with blue lume on all markers.
- 22mm shark skin strap with black leather backside. Thick and softly padded, feels really high quality.
- Optional stainless steel bracelet coming out this year priced at $70. I will get this.

The movement's winding rotor is noisy and heavy! It's very easy to wind, even a small flick of the wrist and the winder goes haywire spinning like a dynamo and you can feel the momentum of it on your wrist. I read some people don't like this while others do. I am in the latter segment.

Various forum posts report excellent timekeeping, one guy was getting +2 seconds a day. My HydroConquest gets +2-4 seconds a day. A perfect daily switch combination maybe.

Anyway, pics are what people always want so it's pics you're gonna get :D

Halios_TSS_boxopen.jpg

Halios_TSS_bokehlume.jpg

Halios_TSS_buckle.jpg

Halios_TSS_leatherlume.jpg

Halios_TSS_caseback.jpg

Halios_TSS_dome.jpg

Halios_TSS_NATO.jpg

Halios_TSS_vs-SmartWatch.jpg

^Easy choice :p

Last edited:
Associate
I used to wear a fake rolex until it started dropping 10 minutes behind every hour. It looked really nice and for the sake of a tenner it lasted quite well compared to a lot of the junk legitimate stuff out there in the same price range.

Back
Top Bottom