What watch do you wear?

nam

nam

Soldato
+1 :) Love my HC too, for value, quality and presence there is not much else in that price range. I know a Rolex used will be around 5k from watchfinders...

Of course, a Hydroconquest is not "better" than a Rolex Sub... the latter is a more premium and beautifully engineered watch using higher quality components. That is fact.

However... as daft as it may sound, I live in the homeland of watches, and a few of my friends have Rolexes. I personally would never at this stage in my life (early 30's) wear a Rolex as a general everyday watch, as I think it has too many negative connotations, despite the fact that they are beautiful timepieces. They are almost a victim of their own success, and are so frequently bought by people just looking for a status symbol, that it does genuinely affect peoples first impressions of you.

I, like mrk, also love my Hydroconquest, and the best thing is that it is uncommon and characterful enough that it doesn't get mistaken for anything else. I actually feel like an individual, and really enjoy when people ask about it. For me, Longines is the gentlemans brand, understated and elegant, and people will appreciate it, but won't automatically assume you are trying to prove something when they see it. I can wear it in every social situation I can think of whether it be sitting around a pool, or out on the lash/clubbing and it looks great and would never get undue attention.

The reasons I give for choosing this watch catching my eye among all others I could have afforded are heartfelt and genuine, whereas I don't think I could do that if I just went out and bought a Rolex Sub or Oyster. In fact, the next watch I buy will likely be an Omega SM or PO Chrono, because to me those are just (imo) stunning, stunning dive watches and represent the next level on my desirability scale. :)

Caporegime
Oh God, I so want the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonphase... http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional-moonphase/31130443201001

Don't hotlink images - Rilot

Now THAT is a watch.... and I really want a moon phase dial.

Only other thing I would like is 30 bar water resistance, but I guess 10 bar is enough for any swimming/snorkelling situation...

Shame there are no divers from Longines/Omega with moon phase.

Soldato
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
how much are you looking at 10k ? as the watchfinders average price around 5k, i do personally like the GMT Master II http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Mens-Watches?fl_brand_ss=Rolex&sort=dateofentry%20desc&fl_series_ss=GMT+Master+II

I believe UK list price for a Submariner is £5750. I like the GMT, but find the bezel and extra hand a bit too busy compared to the Sub.

Mr Khan - Thanks to your kindness the strap arrived today along with new pins from ebay so I can fit it :)

UIOglVB.jpg

Sadly, I think it looks a little too narrow for the 22mm that this watch is supposed to take :(

llYcB6N.jpg

W3XZRgz.jpg

As such, happy to pass the strap on to anyone else who is interested. Wouldn't want Robbie's generosity to go to waste and the strap not get used :)

Associate
how much are you looking at 10k ? as the watchfinders average price around 5k, i do personally like the GMT Master II http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Mens-Watches?fl_brand_ss=Rolex&sort=dateofentry%20desc&fl_series_ss=GMT+Master+II

A new gmt master 2 is about £5950. A little less for the all black vs the newer bruiser. Just be aware thee have been multiple revisions over the years, like ceramic bezels and movement changes etc. the gmt, omega and seiko are the only ones to make a proper gmt watch. All the rest don't work the same and are fairly useless. ID love one, but I should really sell a few first lol. Nearly bought a pelagos in Dubai yesterday lol. Must resist...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Guys, are these types of scratches on the silver parts "fixable" in any way? Or am I doomed to be constantly reminded of my clumsiness :(

xSXcVsO.jpg
i6yPAjH.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Looks very faint, is that solid stainless steel or just a chrome plating? If it's solid then you could Autosol the scratches away as they look faint enough.

Associate
Wearing an imported Seiko Japan 'domestic' only SARB dress watch. Lovely 6R15 hacking movement.

Capture_zpsea7a1850.jpg

Fornowagain, who did you import that from if you don't mind me asking? I was just about to commit to a mm300 but have found out that the big 3 won't export to the eu or uk anymore. Something to do with seiko telling them to stop. :(

Soldato
9qb6vq.jpg

Couple of new additions and old Omega

Had a robbery, Seamaster is new nice watch and bought tag for work (so cheap second hand)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bah, my HydroConquest is back but UK Customs/Border Agency have been sitting on it for over a week and I've now received papers asking for evidence declaring the circumstances of the inbound package.

I have all the paperwork to submit of course, it's just faff to sift through my archived emails pulling the invoices out!

Edit*
Also:

Hello Robbie! I am aware that you have the blue dial Tropik ss, and I was wondering if I could buy it from you. I don't mean to be rude, so if it's not for sale at all then I'm sorry to bother you! But if you are thinking about parting with it anytime soon, I would love to have the first chance at it. Thank you.

It's Bill's Hat (TF2) all over again!

Last edited:
Soldato
Fornowagain, who did you import that from if you don't mind me asking? I was just about to commit to a mm300 but have found out that the big 3 won't export to the eu or uk anymore. Something to do with seiko telling them to stop. :(

Iirc this one was from Higuchi-san. Did you hear this directly? I've heard of limitations on Grand Seiko's. Funnily enough I have an imported SBDX001 pretty much unworn. If they are limited prices might start to go up. You can still buy them from Seiko directly in Europe but not cheap at €1999.

Last edited:
Associate
Iirc this one was from Higuchi-san. Did you hear this directly? I've heard of limitations on Grand Seiko's. Funnily enough I have an imported SBDX001 pretty much unworn. If they are limited prices might start to go up. You can still buy them from Seiko directly in Europe but not cheap at €1999.
There's a notice on chino stating they won't ship to the eu any more, as for higuchi I read that on watchuseek. I think Seiya still ships certain models but I need to send him a message. Have you ever used solojapan on ebay? Well if you get bored of it Iet me know where you put it up for sale :D as for Europe, I'd like to avoid the price gouging.

Back
Top Bottom