What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
are you sure that's really in house? the layout looks a lot like a 7751

Was wondering that myself... AFAIK they do make an in house movement but I believe they also modify ETA and Unitas movements... Could it be a modified third party movement that has then been marketed as 'in house'?

Man of Honour
I have my eyes on two Steinharts at the moment.

The Ocean Vintage Military is quite appealing and I think it could work quite well with formal wear. The natural yellow-ish lume colour I find is a little like Marmite though, I can't quite make up my mind if I would be happy with it.

Then there's the Ocean 1 Vintage Red. Which I have been eyeing up on and off for the last 8 months or so. It's a safer bet for dress wear.

I would really like the Ocean 1 Black if the cyclops wasn't there!

These were the exact 2 models I was choosing between earlier on this year. In the end I bought the Vintage Red but I still keep looking at the Military, wondering if I can justify having 2 very similar watches. The VM looks more sporty to me, maybe it's the yellow, maybe it's the GMT bezel.

I think the simpler bezel swayed me towards the VR in the end, though I prefer the hands on the VM. Pros and cons I guess! I agree with what you say re. a safer bet for dress wear, I'm happy to wear mine with a suit or jeans and a hoodie. I've posted this before but this is the best photo I managed of the VR. I think it looks better in this than the promo shot (but maybe I would say that) ;)

Steinhart%20Vintage%20Red.jpg

Soldato

The Ocean Vintage Military is quite appealing and I think it could work quite well with formal wear. The natural yellow-ish lume colour I find is a little like Marmite though, I can't quite make up my mind if I would be happy with it.

Then there's the Ocean 1 Vintage Red. Which I have been eyeing up on and off for the last 8 months or so. It's a safer bet for dress wear.

That's very nice! I don't think it's possible to dress it down though for casual wear. I think for my first Swiss movement watch it would be nice to have a watch which is flexible with the environments/occasions that it can be worn in. It's a beautiful looking watch though, the classic design reminds me of my Orient Bambino, obviously this Tissot is in another class. If I was going for a 100% dress wear watch I'd find it very hard to resist!

I would counter that and say a dive watch shouldn't be worn with a suit/shirt and tie. Also casual clothing to me is shirt and jeans, which this watch would equally look good with. What other watches do you have?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would counter that and say a dive watch shouldn't be worn with a suit/shirt and tie. Also casual clothing to me is shirt and jeans, which this watch would equally look good with. What other watches do you have?

The Tissot is growing on me. It's dressy though, there's no getting away from that fact. My idea of true casual are shorts and a T-shirt, I think the Tissot would look out of place with such clothing. The tactic of changing the strap to dress up or down won't work well with this watch.

I often wear a diver with a shirt and tie at work, I'm careful about which diver I select depending on the shirt/tie colour. I can see both sides of the fence with whether they should be worn with a suit or not. Personally, I think it can work.

My collection consists of..

Watch Box

Citizen Promaster NightHawk
HMT Pilot White
Orient Bambino
Orient Mako (Orange)
Orient Ray (Black)
Orient Ray (Blue)
Rodina ST17
Rotary Skeleton
Seiko Monster (Orange)
Seiko SNX007J
Seiko SNZG15
and a couple of G shocks

Soldato
It's funny how the itch has been dormant for so long. ;)

After a recent job promotion I've kinda convinced myself that I should treat myself for the first month on something that I'll appreciate down the line; rather than say.. a PS4. :p

Another diver though? Hmm.. It's ironic as I can't even swim!

Caporegime
It's funny how the itch has been dormant for so long. ;)

After a recent job promotion I've kinda convinced myself that I should treat myself for the first month on something that I'll appreciate down the line; rather than say.. a PS4. :p

Another diver though? Hmm.. It's ironic as I can't even swim!

Dooooooo it, it's a lovely watch !!! I prefer the Milisub one myself.

Associate
Was wondering that myself... AFAIK they do make an in house movement but I believe they also modify ETA and Unitas movements... Could it be a modified third party movement that has then been marketed as 'in house'?

Ok, that never occurred to me - yes, it's based on a 7751:

http://www.watchtime.com/watch-data...lassiques-chronographe-phases-de-lune/steel/7

The only ML movement I can find that's mentioned as wholly in house is the ML106 chrono movement.

It's still a nice looking watch, though the polished steel stops it from reaching "must buy" status to me, I prefer a brushed finish.

Associate

aFNGZje.jpg

wvgq4Sm.jpg

That's very nice! I don't think it's possible to dress it down though for casual wear. I think for my first Swiss movement watch it would be nice to have a watch which is flexible with the environments/occasions that it can be worn in. It's a beautiful looking watch though, the classic design reminds me of my Orient Bambino, obviously this Tissot is in another class. If I was going for a 100% dress wear watch I'd find it very hard to resist!

Sold my steinhart ovm a couple of weeks ago to make way for the pelagos, which as an aside is completely awesome!

Couple of things on the ovm. The Lume is crap, and the hands are an acquired taste. Definitely marmite and the web shots show a higher degree of luster than in the flesh on the hands and face in reality. The bracelet is ok and nothing to shout about. No better than cward and not as good as the wjean seiko bracelet for skx007. Bezel action is nice and the machining is pretty good. Definitely worth the cash.

Soldato
The Tissot is growing on me. It's dressy though, there's no getting away from that fact. My idea of true casual are shorts and a T-shirt, I think the Tissot would look out of place with such clothing. The tactic of changing the strap to dress up or down won't work well with this watch.

I often wear a diver with a shirt and tie at work, I'm careful about which diver I select depending on the shirt/tie colour. I can see both sides of the fence with whether they should be worn with a suit or not. Personally, I think it can work.

My collection consists of..

Watch Box

Citizen Promaster NightHawk
HMT Pilot White
Orient Bambino
Orient Mako (Orange)
Orient Ray (Black)
Orient Ray (Blue)
Rodina ST17
Rotary Skeleton
Seiko Monster (Orange)
Seiko SNX007J
Seiko SNZG15
and a couple of G shocks

You seem to have a tonne of the same watches, in my eyes you only have a diver and some dressier Orient's.

Why don't you sell them all and use the proceeds and put some money in and get a higher grade of watch?

How much is your collection worth? How about getting a grey market Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570? I'm tempted myself, they hold there used market value really well, so as long as you dont abuse it you should get your money back down the road should you need too.

I think this is what I will do, I keep looking at lower end watches and the reality is I would end up like you (no offence intended). My intention is is to build a collection of 3 grey market/used watches over the nect 10 years:

Speedy 3570
Rolex Sub no date
JLC Reverso

That will be it.

Maybe you could consider a Tudor Black Bay if you like divers? and cut the collection down 2 one decent watch

Soldato
You seem to have a tonne of the same watches, in my eyes you only have a diver and some dressier Orient's.

Why don't you sell them all and use the proceeds and put some money in and get a higher grade of watch?

How much is your collection worth? How about getting a grey market Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570? I'm tempted myself, they hold there used market value really well, so as long as you dont abuse it you should get your money back down the road should you need too.

I think this is what I will do, I keep looking at lower end watches and the reality is I would end up like you (no offence intended). My intention is is to build a collection of 3 grey market/used watches over the nect 10 years:

Speedy 3570
Rolex Sub no date
JLC Reverso

That will be it.

Maybe you could consider a Tudor Black Bay if you like divers? and cut the collection down 2 one decent watch

Off the top of my head, the total value is probably something in the region of £1300.

There is something that I like about owning a collection though, even if they are at the lower end of the scale. I do agree that there are a number which are quite similar and I could do with letting some go. The idea of selling all of them for the sake of one quality watch leaves me feeling not very happy, which is strange really, as it makes sense. I guess the idea of a collection and having a choice of what to wear is more appealable to me.

I've been looking at the Omega's that WatchFinder currently have to offer. Ultimately, I'd really like an Omega Seamaster. It could be on the cards in the future perhaps.

But for right now, I'm not sure where to go next to scratch the itch that I have for a high quality dress watch. In my mind I thought it would be pretty easy to treat myself to a new watch for work, but it's actually proving quite difficult. :p

The Tissot Visodate is growing on me though.

Soldato
Off the top of my head, the total value is probably something in the region of £1300.

There is something that I like about owning a collection though, even if they are at the lower end of the scale. I do agree that there are a number which are quite similar and I could do with letting some go. The idea of selling all of them for the sake of one quality watch leaves me feeling not very happy, which is strange really, as it makes sense. I guess the idea of a collection and having a choice of what to wear is more appealable to me.

I've been looking at the Omega's that WatchFinder currently have to offer. Ultimately, I'd really like an Omega Seamaster. It could be on the cards in the future perhaps.

But for right now, I'm not sure where to go next to scratch the itch that I have for a high quality dress watch. In my mind I thought it would be pretty easy to treat myself to a new watch for work, but it's actually proving quite difficult. :p

The Tissot Visodate is growing on me though.

Given your collection I don't know why you are worrying about it being too dressy, I don't think it is, but if you do, why don't you wear a diver at the weekends? You have many in your collection to choose from.

In my mind, having a large collection allows you to be really specific watches and not worry about versatility.

Some other suggestions:

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showrub,14090352282746,en,1409035416-4651,flieger,,,,.htm

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/jazzmaster/day-date-auto/h32505751

club_xl_01.jpg
Nomos Club

y8yvebu2.jpg
Longines Legend Diver

2_FC_705S4S6.jpg
Something from Frederic Constant?

1595734d1407969251-first-decent-watch-begineer-i-keep-going-round-circles-29er-big.jpg

Muhle Glashutte 29er (or the Big version it is 42mm)

WP_000072_zpse82f927a.jpg
Sinn 556I

3BRO58E.jpg
Second hand Omega Seamaster perhaps? Should get one fro around £1200-£1400

Micro brands worth looking at:

Melbourne Watch Company

http://www.lewandhuey.com/

There is also Oris watches to consider

Back
Top Bottom