What watch do you wear?

Associate
casio_protek.jpg

Soldato
Just bought a new strap for my Orange 'Mini' Monster...

Orange Silicon Strap with Clasp style buckle, little fed up with the Stainless Bracelet pulling my arm hairs out!! :D

Plus I fancied a change!!

I'll stick some pics up when it arrives!

Associate
I'm looking at getting a watch for my next big birthday, looking around the £300-£400 mark but i have no idea what to get.

i want to get something stylish not sporty any ideas?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Tissot have a bunch of watches in that price range that are elegant and non sporty looking. PRC 200 is a great watch and with the bracelet looks and feels nice and classy too. Most jewellers will stock one variant of that so take a trip to your nearest and have a browse in person to see if it fits the bill then buy it online?

Soldato
Just bought a new strap for my Orange 'Mini' Monster...

Orange Silicon Strap with Clasp style buckle, little fed up with the Stainless Bracelet pulling my arm hairs out!! :D

Plus I fancied a change!!

I'll stick some pics up when it arrives!

Not Bad... Ordered it yesterday at 8:30am and it arrived today!! :cool:

dFh72Zf.jpg

uwY3xGo.jpg

Adjusted it (cut one segment out) and it's nice and comfy!! No hair pulling!! :D

Soldato
Can any of you help me with this one. Below is a picture of my late fathers watch which I have inherited. Its of sentimental value obviously.
The current strap has had too many links removed and it doesn't quite fit me.
Can I buy a whole new strap which will suit and fit it? Its a 20mm metal strap afaik and the original is pretty scratched.

Watch by peige10101, on Flickr

Soldato
You'd have to contact Citizen UK directly I expect. You could buy a 3rd party bracelet that looks similar off the internet unless you wanted the original strap. Alternatively you could replace it with a nice new leather Hirsch strap?

Associate
So I am replacing a stolen Tissot V8, which I really liked. Budget is ~£500 and I am pretty set on a Christopher Ward.

Am I an idiot for being drawn to the quartz movement C70 D Type over the automatic C60 Trident?

I've read a some articles that say 'quartz is for povvo's, real men go mechanical!' and others that say 'unless you are spending an awful lot of money your mechanical movement is mass-produced and still represents a pretty small proportion of the RRP anyway'.

At this point it's pretty much just a piece of jewellery, right - so I should go with what I prefer visually?

Associate
I'm a big fan of Christopher Ward, but £550 for a quartz watch? Really?

The biggest factor in a purchase should be that you like the look of it but I wouldn't even consider an analogue quartz personally. Digital watches are another matter.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There's two sides to every argument like this. Though in this case those that say it's pointless to buy an automatic unless you're spending a lot of dollar have less of a leg to stand on given that many movements out there today found on circa £500 watches (I guess you could say mostly microbrands) are very reliable and accurate. The vast majority on sale today will be running a Base ETA, Miyota or Sellita movement (unless it's a Seiko :p).

If you don't want to have to wear your watch for at least 8 hours a day then you will more than likely find you need to manually wind it as most power reserves are 42 hours in automatics. A quartz will also be more accurate than the average auto (cosc certified or not) and accuracy variation can be vast between autos, even the same movement on the same watch. My ETA now gains around 1 second a day but the Miyota still gains 2.5. Both within tolerances but my old quartz never gained or list a second in months...

If you can't see yourself taking to that kind of routine then there are plenty of good quality quartz watches out there and they vary in price and quality, just like an auto but let's get one thing clear, just because a watch costs say £300, that doesn't mean it will be "povvo", auto/quartz or otherwise!

Choose sonetbing you like, see if it's acceptably priced and see if they offer different movements and make a choice.

Transmission breaker
Don
I have to say that I love so many watches, and really try to appreciate all that other people wear, but honestly, those orange Seiko's just look like they came out of a cracker!

Still, as long as you like them!

I am working on a repairing a couple of old mechanical watches at the moment, thinking about attempting some relume jobs on them as were bought cheaply as spares or repair. I am also customising a cheap chinese skeleton automatic that was pretty horribly detailed. Just need to work out how to ever so slightly reduce the circumference of the glass to make it re-fit after the adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom