What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Cobbled this together today - I think the colours are lovely. Its called the "Romega Portalmaster"

26076-IMG_20140901_085200.jpg

26077-IMG_20140901_085059.jpg
Next to an edifice

26075-IMG_20140901_085228.jpg

Associate
VERY strictly speaking, you can dive without any instruments either except an oxygen tank (or just hold your breath)...but back in the real world, who really dive with an Omega/Rolex costing thousands when a dive computer costing 1/10th or 1/20th of that yet offering more features, better time keeping and arguably, more reliable.

indeed, but my main point being that these watches do actually get pressure tested and the helium valve isnt just a blank peice of metal with the words gas release or whatever printed on it.

like a lot of things in life, you may never do it; but its nice to know it could.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Of course it would be pressure tested, all dive watches are pressure tested valve equipped or not!

As much as I might not agree with everything Raymond says :)p) I do agree with the above. Let's be real, who is going to buy a watch with the helium escape valve as a core feature? It's not a case of you might not dive to +300m, you never will, 99.99% of people never will!

Before i knew anything about it I was only looking at nice dive watches with the valve but after reading up on it I realised it was just one of those things.

So yeah, ultimately it's more of a conversation piece feature than anything else.

Although I suppose if you were on a cruise liner one day and you dropped your watch out the side of the ship it will go beyond that depth in which case the valve will come in very handy ;)

Caporegime
indeed, but my main point being that these watches do actually get pressure tested and the helium valve isnt just a blank peice of metal with the words gas release or whatever printed on it.

like a lot of things in life, you may never do it; but its nice to know it could.

Which was my point, something to tell your friends about at dinner parties.

As the end user, you are never ever going to risk your life and dive 300m to find out of that valve is going to work or not. That's just crazy. So it's just something there as a topic of conversation...like now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anyone heard of Sea Gods?

http://www.sea-god.ch/e-shop/dettaglio.asp?ID=23

I quite like that.

elf-winding mechanical caliber ETA 2824-2, 25 jewels, 25.60 mm diameter. thickness of 4.60 mm, second stop device, oscillating weight on ball bearing, Glucydur balance incabloc shockproof, EtaCron with micrometer screw, alternations / hour 28,800, bi-directional winding rotor, 42 hours autonomy.

Are they just quoting the individual component specs of the 2824-2 movement to pad out that section?!

What makes it worth £3400?

Looks well overpriced for a beefcake of a watch to me with otherwise standard specs for a diver.

But if you like it the price doesn't matter :p

Soldato
Would have looked better if they had made it completely black. :D

Reminds me of this...

Zaphod Beeblebrox: said:
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. Hey, what is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse?

:D:D:D

Associate
Hi guys, I got a Westar watch as a gift. I do not wear watches and do not like the model I got either. Thinking of potentially selling it but I can't find information about them on the Internet. Seems they are popular in Asia but not here. Would someone be able to help me put a price tag on the one I have? It's Westar Active and the back of the watch says 9914stn.

Back
Top Bottom