What watch do you wear?

That is the Quartz version though.

I got mine from Swiss Watches Direct for £2200. The downside to this option is no interest free finance from the vendor but you could stick it on an interest free CC for a short period.
The latest model (212.30.41.20.01.003) does improve on some areas over the pre 2012 watch.

Ah my bad, you'd only save a couple of hundred secondhand on the automatic then. Not worth it imo, grab a new one.

Went along to a local Jewellers to pick up a Breitling. Sadly, just 3 days earlier they'd been robbed by armed (Axes and Pistols) and they'd made off with all their Breitlings and Rolex stock!

So thoughtless.

For info, I was looking at the Breitling Superocean 42.

Went along to a local Jewellers to pick up a Breitling. Sadly, just 3 days earlier they'd been robbed by armed (Axes and Pistols) and they'd made off with all their Breitlings and Rolex stock!

So thoughtless.

For info, I was looking at the Breitling Superocean 42.

Surly all the serials would be recorded on such high end pieces? Would this not make selling the items on to a jeweller or pawnshop a little tricky, and who would buy a Swiss watch from a 'geezer' in the street/pub?

Or am I (likely) completely wrong here?

Either way, that is despicable behaviour and I hope they catch the scum that did it.

For that kind of target and crime I would think they would either already have buyers or more likely they were shipped abroad the same day.

I don't think you commit armed robbery and threaten murder for a chance to sell some shiny trinkets to the dodgy geezer in the corner of the pub. :D

edit:
In better news, my G-Shock arrived today. I really like it and the strap is nice with the mix of materials. Strap is too big though. :( I'm not sure when I can get to a place to fit it for me, is there any chance I can do it myself (I haven't looked through instructions as I'm at work), do I need any special tools?

Ta.

Last edited:
You mean like saying "this pen works in space!" Whilst sitting on earth with no chance of going into space.

Yes it's good for the inner geeks but ultimately pointless, it's as useful as those helium valve at 300m.

It did go to space/land on the moon. They qualified a bunch of watches and the Speedmaster was the only one that passed, therefore it was the only one that went to the moon.

Heritage is a good marketing tool, so you can't exactly blame a company for making good use of its heritage.

It did go to space/land on the moon. They qualified a bunch of watches and the Speedmaster was the only one that passed, therefore it was the only one that went to the moon.

Heritage is a good marketing tool, so you can't exactly blame a company for making good use of its heritage.

That one did, not the on you buy in the store, not the one on your wrist. That was my point, was I not clear with the mugs analogy?

It is a good marketing tool, marketing, it's all that is.

You buy into the ad that this watch gives you that lifestyle these people have. Same as smoking a cigarette somehow make you look cool and attract women, or spray lynx means all these supermodels runs towards you.

Marketing.

Last edited:
Ordered two Samsung Gear 2's today for a very silly price. :)
I paid significantly less than £200 in total :D
Much more spec than the Gear Fit I bought previously, so I figured at that cost, I can try one out, and use the other as a gift for someone at Christmas!

That one did, not the on you buy in the store, not the one on your wrist. That was my point, was I not clear with the mugs analogy?

It is a good marketing tool, marketing, it's all that is.

You buy into the ad that this watch gives you that lifestyle these people have. Same as smoking a cigarette somehow make you look cool and attract women, or spray lynx means all these supermodels runs towards you.

Marketing.

A mugs holds liquid. A watch tells the time, but not all watches (pre-1969) will tell the time on the moon or make it into space without experiencing some kind of problem.

I don't think Omega states anywhere that if you buy a Speedmaster you will automatically go to the moon. It implies that the watch has been, and if you ever took the one you bought in the store to the moon (highly unlikely!) then it would perform the same as the ones that did go to the moon.

Lynx implies that it will make you more attractive to women and they will throw themselves at you. Omega do not state anywhere that if you buy a Speedmaster, it automatically qualifies you to step onboard a NASA spacecraft and fly into space.

Anyway, yes it's a good marketing tool, but at least there is justification behind the marketing.

A mugs holds liquid. A watch tells the time, but not all watches (pre-1969) will tell the time on the moon or make it into space without experiencing some kind of problem.

I don't think Omega states anywhere that if you buy a Speedmaster you will automatically go to the moon. It implies that the watch has been, and if you ever took the one you bought in the store to the moon (highly unlikely!) then it would perform the same as the ones that did go to the moon.

Lynx implies that it will make you more attractive to women and they will throw themselves at you. Omega do not state anywhere that if you buy a Speedmaster, it automatically qualifies you to step onboard a NASA spacecraft and fly into space.

Anyway, yes it's a good marketing tool, but at least there is justification behind the marketing.

It's the same idea, the fact that you think there is something more to their marketing than any other company means you are totally bought into the whole thing and not looking into it like any other man made product that has no uniqueness to it. Yes, its not unique. A Speedmaster is a Speedmaster is a Speedmaster.

There may be a handful of watches that went into space, yours isn't one of them, everything else is just hot air that you buy into that makes you think yours is something special. It isn't. It is just an expensive watch.

I am sure a Quartz will works just as well, after all, all the instruments onboard are digital. You don't see that in the marketing !

It's like the space pen thing, a pencil will work too. You don't see people who make pencils making that as a selling point.

Last edited:
I really don't get these smart watches at all :confused:

Surely part of the reason to wear a watch is as a piece of jewellery? Well smart watches fail horribly at this. They are all ugly (especially the apple one) and have cheap nasty straps.

I also don't get what they add that you can't do on a smart phone?

An expensive gimmicky fad I think. Won't catch me buying one, I'll stick to a proper watch.

Mrk,

What watch strap removal tool have you got ?

rps20141204_151341_395.jpg

For the Tudor I use a precision flathead screwdriver (left) and a careful hand, the tool on the right was fine for the end link holes on previous watches but the Tudor one is smaller than that and that's the smallest head that came with the tool!

I agree to an extent, although I can see the benefits of a smart watch I enjoy wearing a watch as a piece of jewellery. As I have to wear generic 'smart' clothes for work, it's one of the few ways to show a bit of personality for the majority of my day.

I've no doubt that a smart watch would be useful to me, particularly for viewing messages. I'm concerned that, if I got used to that, I wouldn't want to 'inconvenience' myself by wearing a mechanical watch on a day-to-day basis. But I'm not sure the convenience a smart watch would give me would be worth sacrificing the enjoyment of wearing a nice 'normal' watch.

It's the same idea, the fact that you think there is something more to their marketing than any other company means you are totally bought into the whole thing and not looking into it like any other man made product that has no uniqueness to it. Yes, its not unique. A Speedmaster is a Speedmaster is a Speedmaster.

There may be a handful of watches that went into space, yours isn't one of them, everything else is just hot air that you buy into that makes you think yours is something special. It isn't. It is just an expensive watch.

I am sure a Quartz will works just as well, after all, all the instruments onboard are digital. You don't see that in the marketing !

It's like the space pen thing, a pencil will work too. You don't see people who make pencils making that as a selling point.

I've never owned a Speedmaster, and quartz watches were not invented, or at least not available to the general public in 1969.

Doubled value of my watch today.

This came through door

410507929.jpg

And is now fitted to this

410507930.jpg

Sorry about potato picture.

I now have £7.07p invested in this watch and strap was more than the watch :D:D

I should have took strap off to measure width and a 22mm would have been better. - It's a knock about watch anyway so huh!

Dave

Funky Nato. Thread needs more Natos. I wear the Maratac one more often now as even though the other 2 are good quality there's nothing that beats the feel and quality of a Maratac. Shame the only place with a decent price is West Coast Time in the USA.

Currently using a Moto 360 as my main daily now. Just like having extra features such as the health/fitness, notifications etc. Battery life is around 12 hours so far, but if you use it like a normal watch and are only glancing to check the time now and again (unlike me who was messing aroind with it most of the day :-P) it would last a fair bit longer. All I need now is to wait for the metal straps to release.

Back
Top Bottom