What watch do you wear?

Soldato
These new tests cover more than just accuracy at room temp.

- accuracy and watch functions when exposed to magnetic fields
- accuracy and functions under temperature : 8, 28 and 38C
- power reserve
- water resistance

Sure, it's not life changing but it's nice to know your watch will continue to work as described in different conditions. If it doesn't work as it should then there is some responsibly for Omega etc to resolve it for you. Without this official test the manufacturer doesn't need to do anything.

No. My old watch with a base 2824-2 movement and no certification was +1 to 2 seconds a day which in most cases is more accurate than many "certified" movements.
Put your watch into a magnetic field and then check the accuracy ;)

Then in that scenaro, wanting an Auto is the No.1 priority, wants to spend £5k is the second, accuracy a distant 3rd.
Times change, maybe in the 1960's people weren't concerned with the accuracy of their auto watches but who wants progress to stay still?!
Like saying someone wants a Ferrari but isn't concerned about reliability and is happy for it to break down often (just like in times gone by).

If it's possible to have a close to 100% accurate auto then why not.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
In what weekly or monthly situation even do you encounter where there is a magnetic field? Can't say the 2 or so years of owning mine that this has been a concern at all whether it was in a flight or the Arctic circle or surrounded by a room full of computer equipment.

It really is a case of "my watch has this but in the real world it doesn't mean much".

Caporegime
It's not why going for as accurate as possible, it's they make a big deal out of it.

It's like saying on one hand that our previous watches are not that accurate and now that we can, we sure am going to milk it and you lot will lap it up.

They made an accurate watch, big deal!

Raymond, I admire your persistence but do you have to be a pain in the bum all the time?

Caporegime
Raymond, I admire your persistence but do you have to be a pain in the bum all the time?

Someone has to point out the irony and double standard that, for something that clearly marked itself as an luxury item because Quartz has it beat on the accuracy front 50 years ago, it was the entire point of the shift of their marketing. Surely we (I too have an auto, or 3), buy these watches accept the fact from the point of purchase that accuracy is not it's attraction, it never was. It is the beauty of the movement. Is that not the de-facto argument for having an automatic when someone says you can buy a Quartz for much less?. That's the attraction. Not accuracy.

We can all say yes, it is nice that it is more accurate but I say that they should be, it was the entire point of existence of its creation, to keep time. Hence, it's not a big deal?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Did you really just ask that?!?!?!
You have speakers, a hard drive, a fridge, a microwave, to name a few :)

Did you really just say that everyday household appliances will deviate an automatic watch movement? :p

I have big floorstander speakers by my computer desk, none of the auto watches have ever deviated beyond their natural +/- seconds per day due to me sitting at the desk for a few hours at a time. Likewise I've never seen anyone else ever note any change with them either.

I thought you were going to say you work with magnets or something and often visit cern.

Soldato
Did you really just say that everyday household appliances will deviate an automatic watch movement? :p

I have big floorstander speakers by my computer desk, none of the auto watches have ever deviated beyond their natural +/- seconds per day due to me sitting at the desk for a few hours at a time. Likewise I've never seen anyone else ever note any change with them either.

I thought you were going to say you work with magnets or something and often visit cern.
Magnetic items have been affecting mechanical watches since day 1 and its an issue for the industry.
Google search it, there are pages of info.
http://watchguru.typepad.com/complications/2008/03/magnets-and-wat.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/li...gnetic-fields-some-info-how-works-361573.html

If you're so confident then leave your watch near your speakers for a while :p

*i accept no liability if your watch /internal parts become magnetised.

Caporegime
No private individual would buy a watch they didn't like the look of, despite how accurate. Now if it takes some sort of certification or the fact they use them on the moon as justification to spend 4 figures on jewellery, I won't judge but it's just jewellery for blokes.

All this marketing bravado and extreme is just a way of extracting money from wallets.

Anyway, you can't magnetise an auto by accident (unless you've had a brain transplant with a bit of ham), I've been wearing a poxy Seiko 5 for 3 years solid and never had problems and if you place it near an unshielded speaker or your collection of magnets, you're a plonker anyway.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If you lace the strap with magnets then any magnetic force from anywhere else will cancel out the stuff in between from being magnetised.

There. I've single handedly solved this trivial non issue :cool:

Associate
I bought a submariner this year, hideously expensive for a watch but I have no regrets as in my eyes it is a perfect object, and will likely retain it's value unlike a flash car.

Depending on what I'm doing at work I wear the submariner or a G-Shock, I was wearing a Seiko SKX013K2 but I don't like the way it sits high on the wrist and i find the countdown function on the g-shock useful at work.

Back
Top Bottom