What watch do you wear?

Tempted to get an orange NATO strap for the Sub for more casual wear but can't decide if it's a bit too blingy/weird. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't choose orange. But nothing wrong with a Sub on an appropriately coloured NATO - say black, Khaki or olive drab. I wear my GMT on a NATO at the moment:

wBEscj.jpg

Looks like an orange nato is universally hated then :p I get the point about colour coding it but with a black sub I feel a black nato would look a bit boring, the thought behind going Orange was for it to look a bit different and quirky. The bracelet would stay on for work as I wear a suit, nato would be purely casual wear.

That GMT does look good with the colour coding. Casual yet classy.

Edit: what about grey?

Last edited:
Get 2mm smaller for the authentic 007 look :D

I really want to get a Perlon strap to add to the rotation, they seem to vary in quality just like Natos too so am doing my research first.

Granted I've not gone through all 330 pages of this thread, but I wear a pocket watch. I keep it in a belt pouch. I never got on with plastic or leather wrist straps and metal straps made mincemeat of my shirt cuffs. I have several pocket watches, but my best two are a Royal London half-hunter and a Jean Pierre full hunter, neither particularly expensive. Before I found the belt pouch I used to keep them in my pocket and broke the stalks with distressing frequency.

So I remembered that Robbie Khan kindly gave me a blue NATO a while ago that was the correct size, so thought it would be rude not to try it out and see if I want to get a grey one (please excuse the poor photos lol).

RdsYf1Z.jpg

xP6f5OC.jpg

Robbie - How does the thickness of this strap compare to a Maratac? I'm thinking it definitely needs to be beefier to look right. It's very comfortable though.

You've looped the end wrong there :p

I can't remember where that one was from, can you post a pic of the buckle? I'll know then. If it's the one from Genomon then the TZ-UK one is thicker while the Maratac one is tougher with a better weave than them both.

Look here for the TZ one: http://www.timefactors.com/natostraps.htm (labelled as NEW NATO/G10 FOR 2014).

It's this but in your choice of colour:

xnyPWJf.jpg

Personally I prefer the Maratac Natos for overall comfort and weave quality though the other is very good still.

Under back through the loop as per my pic above :p

That's the Dievas one, decent strap but not as thick as the Timefactors new one and not as tough as a Maratac.

Ah yes, looks better now :p

Shall have a look at the other straps, is Timefactors the thickest?

Edit: What about this one on Watchobsession? Quite like the black/grey style of the one Janesy B posted above but need a UK supplier (GF is buying it for me for Christmas and won't be any good at messing around with non UK stores)

Last edited:
The one Janesy posted is German based, I use the same store and you'll get it within a week. The Watchobsession one I don't know though what the quality is like, from the pictures it appears to be the same as the cheap eBay ones which are often flimsy in feel and the holes where the buckle bit goes through will fray after a couple of months. The Maratac ones will never fray, the Timefactors one won't last as long as a Maratac but it will still give you good long service.

Last edited:
Will stick with Maratac/Timefactors then just to be sure. Thanks for the help :) Have put the bracelet back on for work tomorrow which turned out to be very very fiddly lol.

Any recommendations for a watch around £400?

My nan passed away in July but left behind a card and some money for my birthday in August and I've not had a clue what to spend it on for the past 4 months. I want it to be something sentimental and have been thinking of putting some money towards it and buying a nice watch.

I only own one watch which is a Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Automatic Mk1 - It was my wedding present from my wife that I picked out after getting some great advice from here. This is my current watch 'for best' :

dha9LBfl.jpg

When I wear a watch its generally for an event as I don't wear one daily. I like the idea of having one with a metal bracelet but still dressy and have been looking at these :

C5 Malvern MK II Automatics (£450) :
rSX4W8X.jpg
NTmmOkm.jpg

&

C7 RAPIDE CHRONOGRAPH MK II (£350) - but I guess not quite so classy and more everyday? :
EG66J6dl.jpg

Anybody own either?

I am a little fascinated by the autos, love the clear backs on them. I know the C7 isn't an auto but quite liked the look, not sure how it would look with a suit on though?

Are there any other brands I should be looking out for or are Christopher Ward still well respected?

Last edited:
I like the idea of having one with a metal bracelet but still dressy and have been looking at these
Can you not just buy a metal bracelet for the Malvern you already own?

Are there any other brands I should be looking out for or are Christopher Ward still well respected?
CHRWARD are attempting to go upmarket by raising their prices, not as good value as they once were unless on sale.

Any other brands you like the look of?

Can you not just buy a metal bracelet for the Malvern you already own?

CHRWARD are attempting to go upmarket by raising their prices, not as good value as they once were unless on sale.

Any other brands you like the look of?

Cward have a sale every other friday lol. Completely devalues the brand. Like DFS talking about how big their sale savings are :rolleyes:

how about a steinhart. good value for that kind of money.

Back
Top Bottom