What watch do you wear?

Associate
Been rocking this one for 4 years, and ive only taken it off my wrist once.....and that was 2 days ago when the battery died.

Its never missed a beat and has taken a lot of punishment but its still going strong!!!

auI7dpil.jpg

I would definitely have another Timex Expedition, oh and please excuse the time discrepancies, I'm trying to remember how to set the digital part!!

Soldato
Spotted this little piece on Kickstarter back in the summer, it's from a small company in Glasgow and sports a Ronda movement inside. I'm a big fan of minimalist watches so this is right up my street and with Kickstarter discount not a bad buy for £90!

cjoOmkV.jpg

Oh sweet, this is exactly what I've been looking for from a watch, for a while I was certain I would get the Moto 360 due to its simple design but I don't have a huge need for Android Wear.

This looks amazing, think I will pick up the black version soon enough.

Soldato
pics or it didn't happen! :)

I didn't post a pic because it's a PITA from phone :p hopefully this is resized properly. It was a really close call between the no date sub and a GMT Master II. The simplicity of the sub and the non polished centre links were the decider though :)

YfJ1kP5.jpg

Soldato
^ nice. If I hadn't have got my SMP, the only other watch I would have gone for would have been a Rolex Sub in black like yours... The ~3k price difference put me off. (2 - 5)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Integrated end links? I do like the case design, sort of round cushion but I imagine it will be hard to use other straps with it should you ever wish to rotate the look from time to time!

Soldato
Yep integrated. Also comes with a rubber strap and will take a large amount of straps from the Oris range (even if they aren't cheap).

That said I don't have enough time to rotate the watches I now have let alone changing the straps on them.

Soldato
I have a dilemma. I'm looking at an Omega Speedmaster moon watch and can get a discount of somewhere between 20-40% from a high street jeweller. They can't get hold of the standard hesealite version as it would need to be ordered from omega and therefore is not eligible for the discount. I have a few choices:

1) they can get me a moon watch with the presentation box (http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/presentation/speedmaster-professional) which I'm not hugely interested in for £3340 minus the discount

2) wait until the new year and see if I can find one discounted somewhere

I'm not fussed about the presentation box, with 20% off it brings it down to the cost of the standard version. I did ideally want the crystal sapphire face version but I can't seem to be able to find anywhere that stocks it where I can get the discount.

Is the presentation worth having?

Soldato
I'd rather have sapphire than Hesalite, but if you want a truly classic moon watch then the Hesalite is as close to the original. I really like the look of that presentation set, but ultimately how often are you ever going to open it and use it's contents....very little I'd imagine.

Soldato
I'm not sure I get the reasons for wanting Hesalite on such an expensive piece. I'm not so convinced on the argument for authenticity over scratch resistance. Maybe I'm a sapphire freak.

I'm still really tempted by the thought of picking up an Omega Seamaster Diver. It's a grail watch of mine, has been a for a few years. I am also though flirting with the idea of a second hand Submariner. Must be an early mid-life crisis.

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Tempted to get an orange NATO strap for the Sub for more casual wear but can't decide if it's a bit too blingy/weird. Any thoughts?

DSC02559.jpg

Soldato
In what weekly or monthly situation even do you encounter where there is a magnetic field? Can't say the 2 or so years of owning mine that this has been a concern at all whether it was in a flight or the Arctic circle or surrounded by a room full of computer equipment.

It really is a case of "my watch has this but in the real world it doesn't mean much".

As someone said, MRI. Also magnetic testing. My boss magnetised his Breitling a little while back. A smallish neodymium magnet is enough to set a watch running wonky.

Soldato
Personally I think a NATO strap does cheapen the look of a sub, especially those in the Rolex price range on something as garish at orange.

However for practical purposes (not fashion, i.e. wearing your watch to the office) a NATO strap is great. Last holiday I wore a sub/NATO during the day whilst in and out of the pool/sea and it was ideal.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Orange Nato = No! Why not just get a quality Maratac in Military Green/Tan or Black/Grey? Best quality Natos you will find.

As someone said, MRI. Also magnetic testing. My boss magnetised his Breitling a little while back. A smallish neodymium magnet is enough to set a watch running wonky.

How often is that though! They also advise you to remove such jewellery before going under one. Magnetic testing, well that would fall under your work guidelines anyway surely :p And as someone else said, you have to be a plonker to put a watch so close to a magnet so strong that it becomes magnetised.

Back
Top Bottom